Splitting Goose and Duck Season for a Later Season

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Splitting Goose and Duck Season for a Later Season

Postby chambo32 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:52 pm

What is everybodies take on spliting the canada season for two weeks in early november and letting it run longer into December.

And also what about closing lake champlain duck for a week or two around that time and extending it into the end of December.

Leaving interior the same.

My opinion is the season is over too early for late season diver and late moving geese from snow fall.

I think for the most part mallards are gone in early to mid Dec

This is just my opinion......Anybody else.......
chambo32
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:29 pm

from what i've seen hunting the white river jct up to fairlee area, the season is just fine. I never saw any geese in the month of Dec around the Conn river zone.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:47 am

I think that letting Duck hunting run later in to December could be a decent idea, as I have seen more ducks on Champlain late into December. However some years the Bays are frozen in late December, and personally I know I'm not going out on the lake in Mid or even late December. I think more hunters would be opposed to closing Champlain for a longer period earlier in the season, than there would be hunters for it.

A lot of the people that I know that Duck hunt, usually finish up around the end of deer season. Most of the put in more time earlier in the season then they do, during Deer Season or after.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:51 am

What does everyone think about opening the Interior zone the same time of year as it is now, but opening the lake a week later, thus extending the lake zone a week later into December?

Of course this is all wishfull thinking, because the rules and regulations are all Federally set and suggested, and you have multiple States to contend with, and we see how deer hunting regulations in our own State are so touchy.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby shortround2-3/4 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:07 am

Extending the season up here won't do any good. We usually get froze out before it's over anyways.
shortround2-3/4
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:19 pm

I agree the interior zone is good. I have been to magog later november and there is not muck open water left.

But I am thinking the lake zone. The factor that moves birds is snow and how often do we every get a snow that last in late november and early november. How many times has the brode lake froze in the last 15 winters maybe 3 or 4 and that happens in feb. I know the federal laws give a window to have the season and a number of days. Why not take advantage of the whole window and spilt the seasons. Not to mention when you split seasons and reopen the birds relax and are scoutable. Allowing for a couple more "Opening Days"

I know last year around the 15th of december when it was 5 degrees the birds were moving like crazy down the lake. After the snow storms and the lake was still open so there were still around. That was mallards, divers and geese. Yeah i know it is cold but aren't the season date there to give hunters the best chance to fill there bag.

Anyone going to the lake zone meeting tommorow??? at UVM
chambo32
hunter

Postby mailyard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:50 pm

the mallards game in dec. last year killed a bunch in ny just over the border. Didn't see any canadas in Dec it really varies year to year a few years ago the canadas came down real late. you just cant trust em.
mailyard
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:11 pm

I like the structure that we have had for a long time now. I have spoken with Bill Crenshaw a few times regarding the season split. THere are a few people that don't like the split, and want to hunt more in October. My view is these guys have no clue how good the hunting can be in December. Big fat Mallards and blacks come through, the divers are everywhere....

They actually looked at a December split this year to keep it late into Dec, yet make the Oct guys happy. IMO it was a bad idea to consider as it could backfire on the years the bays freeze. Maybe the whole lake doesn't close up, but a lot of bays become very inaccessible late season.

I'm all for the split. If I really want to hunt bluebird days in October through the split I can find an interior location. I love the cold weather ducks and wouldn't trade them for a week in Oct.

~Dave
Have you punched a PETA member today? Why not?
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby HotDog » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:47 pm

I'll have to agree with Dave.
The later season on the lake is awesome.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:02 am

I kinda wish the split was longer. I'm not sure where people hunt with huge sucess after the opening few days. Octobers warm weather does nothing for the quality of waterfowling in VT. I don't need to hunt until Christmas, but last years late closing, again this year, I'm liking that a lot . I'll deal with ice and look elsewhere when in happens. I know how to dreess warm....bring on the cold, the snow, the wind, and the late season ducks!!!!

Not so sure about Trevor's idea of changing the opening of the lake, I like the split better. Too many ducks feed in the interior and roost on the lake. The early pressure at their feeding grounds could impact how good the lake opening is.

I'm not against youth day because it truly brings kids into the sport, however I have seen areas that the early shooting has impacted opening day of the regular season. I see opening the interior first having the same impact.

~Dave
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:09 am

Chambo

Sorry I think we all strayed from your original thoughts about splitting the goose season.

I sat with you and Mike last year in the early season and hammered the geese. However as fun as that was, once duck season starts I could really care less about shooting geese. A split season wouldn't have much impact and I have no argument for splitting it or leaving it alone. While the migrators are coming through, the VT population stays strong until the ice starts closing up bays. Split or not you are still hunting a lot of locals as well as migrators. How late in the year you do it.....not a biggie for me.

~Dave
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:25 pm

When I brought up the idea at the meeting two weeks ago about splitting the migratory goose season. Bill Crenshaw looked at me like I had two heads. He seems to think that majority of the geese move into the area in late September and early october. I am not too sure about that. Is that supported from the numbers on the refuge or bands during shot during that time. I just seems as though the geese make a very large push right before the snow in middle december. Also the fact that the geese stay right untill the end makes them more huntable due to the smaller areas. Also last year I saw the most migratory geese that I have every seen. On south bay last year when there was only a few spots left open in front of the river. That was the weekend after thanksgiving while we had the snow and 5 degrees. I am guessing there was about 4000 on the bay. I wonder if there evidence is based more on what is just flying over and hunters who only make it out for the warmer portion of the season before dear opens up. I am a firm believer that the geese really push through right before and during the snow.
chambo32
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Andrew,
I don't believe it's based on refuge numbers. The refuge plays host to mostly Snows. The Canada migration seems to have been mostly pushed off the refuge about 20 years ago by the snows. I agree that there is some merit to a lot being pushed through before the snow, however I see a lot of migrating Canadas making the move well before December. I don't see a large migration being sustained here for long late in the season. I think most of the geese we are seeing into December are in fact local geese that do not push out unless there is a complete lake freeze.
Just for the record, our geese are lazy and only go to Jersey. On a mild winter they will not ever leave here or will return well before they would be expected to. You might be surprised how many geese you see that aren't migrating.
I've spent a lot of time talking with Bill, and swaping information with him. He might have looked at you funny, but he does know what is going on. He is actually very hands on, and an avid waterfowler himself.
vt dukhntr
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting