Waders best for VT?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Waders best for VT?

Postby vt_moose » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 pm

Hello all,

I'm a first generation hunter in my family and starting out with ducks. My question is what is the best chest wader for the season in Champlain Valley? I'm leaning towards the non-insulated breathables and figure I could layer underneath with wool pants or is that not gonna cut it if I'm sitting in water during the colder days for a few hours, then should I get the 3.5 or even the 5mm neopreans? I've tried on a 5mm and felt I was wearing lead plates and burn if hunting in warm weather. Your input will be greatly appriciated.
vt_moose
Newb

Postby treedog » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:10 am

Well, I am an old man and get cold easy but if I am sitting on the lake in a blind or boat and the wind is blowing and it's spitting and misty, like it pretty much is after Columbus day then I am comfortable to slightly chilly in neoprene 5mm chest waders with a sweat suit underneath and quad parka on top.

Alot depends on how much moving you are doing, are you in shallow water and wading to retrieve your ducks , in a blind with a dog, a boat, etc.

Neoprenes are fairly easy to repair when cut and punctured. I don't know how much abuse those breathables can take and I don't know how easy they are to patch.

What's warm enough? Only one way to find out.
treedog
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:50 am

I have breathables for trout fishing, they wouldn't last through one day of duck hunting, in and out of boats, wire fences. I've use neoprenes, they're fine below freezing, but anything warmer than that and you'll be sitting in a pool of your own sweat. I like the Cabelas brush buster waders, not too hot when its warm, and just layer on the fleece when its cold.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby duckklr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 pm

You need to check out Drake's new wader line. Thinking of getting a pair of these for myself. They come in both mid season and late season models.
duckklr
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:37 pm

I would dissagree with Magogwacker. I bought a pair of breathables last year, after I wore out my neoprene, and they held up nicely. I hunt the start of season to the end, in and out of boats, fields, blinds, etc... I also have used neoprene. Taking an extra second to be carefull how you do things, and they will last as long as any neoprene. I've ripped neoprene, its not invincible.

With that, they make great early season waders, but if your planning late season hunting a good pair of 5mm's will be handy to have. For neoprene I plan to replace my last pair of Cabelas Ultimate wadres with the same thing. However I'm waiting till its cold, the breathables will be on me in October.
Have you punched a PETA member today? Why not?
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby vt_moose » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:47 am

Hello all,

If you're interested I went ahead and bought breathables that were on sale at a Bass Pro Shop and seeing how late in the season I can last with them. Here's another delima that may not be that significant, I have a max-4 camo jacket with mossy oak waders? Think ducks will be quacking about how obvious the pattern sticks out or will they pass not noticing? I figure they'll see only my hat and jacket first and if I'm in the water they won't see my waders at all. Comments/experience?

Thanks for your last suggestions.
vt_moose
Newb

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:53 pm

You might be overthinking the whole camo thing brother. If you sit still you'll be just fine. none of my camo matches BTW. While matching camo head to toe looks good in the catalogs and magazines I don't do it.
Good luck this season. Lemme know how you make out.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:03 pm

Agree...camo doesn't have to match. If you're a chick then maybe its an issue, but camo with camo goes just fine after Labor Day.

I used to ski in Camo pants and a red jacket. Man I got a ton of looks from those doofs in matching ski suits with the latest season ski colors. Yeah buddy I might look funny, but you've got pink pants and look funny! :tongue: I guess it was a yuppy ski thing.
Have you punched a PETA member today? Why not?
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby ronvt » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:25 am

I think you need breathables and neoprene. If you are going to be walking alot or hiking in to blinds, breathables are the way to go. If you are going to be doing still hunts or wading close to shore, then go with neoprene. If you have the money..get both.
ronvt
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

breathable & neo !!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting