Duck Hunting Forum banner

Waterfowl Survey

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  vermontster0341 
#1 ·
Has anyone received a waterfowl survey conducted by SUNY Plattsburg?

They state is trying to gather information from waterfowl hunters in regards to their seasons and preferences. The only problem with that is they sent a survey to a friend of mine who only went hunting once, and could care less to fill the survey out because he is primarily a deer hunter.

How do you all feel about the season dates? I've talked with many hunters this year and most were very frustrated. AS most of you know waterfowl hunting is so dependent on weather. Other than 2013 we haven't really had the weather that gives us the maximum migration that we are supposed to be experiencing.

what is everyone's preference in regards to the dates - keep it the same, start earlier, end later? Any other suggestions welcomed.

#3 ·
First off I would like to say that even though this was probably one of the worst seasons I have hunted, it was also an anomaly given the El Nino year. I get to hunt roughly half of the 60 day season and the numbers just weren't here. I hunt primarily around the Ferrisburgh/Panton area on the lake and compared to this season, last season was significantly colder. We were breaking ice coming out of Otter Creek to hunt the lake in the last week of the season, but having said after the season closed there was still open water for over a month. I personally would like to see a later season hands down. What would be even better in my opinion would be to make south of the Champlain bridge interior zone like they did up north. Because with probably 3 weeks or more left of the season last year (and previous years) it has froze below the bridge which cuts off a lot of hunting area, but also concentrates the birds which is good for the diehards that hunt the same part of the lake that I do. I have never been froze out completely hunting the "bigger" part of the lake with the past season dates so I would have to imagine that with a later season the same would hold true unless a major climate change happened. Looking forward to next season!

#4 ·
Most hunters I have talked to would enjoy a different split to allow for an end of December/early January finish. I talked to a guy at one of the launches this year and he said most guys on the board don't want to change it because they want to hunt Teal in the early season.

2013 and 2014 were below average temps, but if you research the 3-5 years prior to that they have been very similar to this year.

I don't have to say it, because I'm sure you all know but the best waterfowl hunting is when the temps drop. El Nino did have an affect this year, absolutely. Are we really wanting to wait every 3-5 years to have a decent, at best, waterfowl season?

The feds leave the dates open until the end of January but our board doesn't like to see it go past the 17th/18th of December. Quebec's hunting season goes until January 3rd.

If you are in favor of making changes to the season dates, contact a board member, the sate, or attend a board meeting. By the time the August meeting rolls around the season dates are pretty much decided. They invite the public to attend the meeting to share their preferences and opinions but by that time it doesn't matter.

#5 ·
I had to laugh at the teal comment; what a crock of sh1t. I'd be willing to bet most of those opinions comes from hunters that choose not to hunt ducks in the late season because of 1. Deer hunting and 2. Don't want to be bothered by the cold... Any real duck hunter knows the late season provides the best hunting.

#6 ·
Problem is alot of people duck hunt that are not really duck hunters. They by stamps , get out 2 or 3 times and they are done. Sadly they try to appeal everyone, when setting the season,and as you know they follow the money.The best example of the money game is our Atlantic Flyway Waterfowl counts for the last 10 years.... They have nosed dived steadily... and they keep giving us 60/6 . We see none of the record numbers of waterfowl the other Flyways have. The last survey did was in 1985, this one could be interesting.

#7 ·
Lfusco said:
Problem is alot of people duck hunt that are not really duck hunters. They by stamps , get out 2 or 3 times and they are done. Sadly they try to appeal everyone, when setting the season,and as you know they follow the money.The best example of the money game is our Atlantic Flyway Waterfowl counts for the last 10 years.... They have nosed dived steadily... and they keep giving us 60/6 . We see none of the record numbers of waterfowl the other Flyways have. The last survey did was in 1985, this one could be interesting.
I agree about what your saying with the people who go 2-3 three times and call themselves duck hunters. What is the 60/6 your talking about? I don't know about everyone else but it seems that theres about a three week period after the split that the hunting is awful. Id much rather have the split extended for maybe 2 weeks/ 2 1/2 weeks instead of the few days that we get now. That way people can still shoot their teal and woodies on the opener but we can also push the season to the end of december or even early january. Migration reports right now in canada are saying they are crushing them right now.

#8 ·
banded15 said:
Lfusco said:
I agree about what your saying with the people who go 2-3 three times and call themselves duck hunters. What is the 60/6 your talking about? I don't know about everyone else but it seems that theres about a three week period after the split that the hunting is awful. Id much rather have the split extended for maybe 2 weeks/ 2 1/2 weeks instead of the few days that we get now. That way people can still shoot their teal and woodies on the opener but we can also push the season to the end of december or even early january. Migration reports right now in canada are saying they are crushing them right now.
Totally agree here. Much longer split in my opinion.... Have the Champlain opener for a week or whatever. Then a 3-4 week split giving us the option to extend the season until the new year.

#10 ·
We did have a bad year, because of El Nino, but the entire country did too, so write that off. A longer split would benefit two things in my mind: 1) let us shoot the resident mallards, woodie and teal and wait for northern birds to show in late Oct and 2) allow us to hunt through the peak of migration. If they set the end of season too late we could be iced out and not seeing birds.

Why has no one talked about goose hunting? Nov. 28th seems much too early to quit goose hunting, I would like to be able to hunt them into December.

Does anyone know what we can actually do as hunters to voice our opinions that would actually make a difference? Is there someone we can write to, meet with, or attend a meeting? If so I want to know!

#11 ·
David Sausville is Vermont" s Waterfowl Biologist, Waterfowl meeting" s in Whitehall New York and Burlington in August each year. That is when the season is discussed, and the dates are with in the time frame that the Feds give us, The Vermont fish and game board makes the final choice. Depending on where you live, you have a represent abd they are listed by county on the Vt. Fish and game web- side,,, contact them any time, that is there job

#12 ·
I e-mailed him. I also emailed a woman at VT Fish and Wildlife. This was her response...

"Hunters interested in voicing their opinions on the proposed dates should attend the waterfowl public hearings. In the past they have been held in August. There is usually one in Essex. Waterfowl seasons will now be discussed earlier on in the year (likely February/March). A hearing will shortly follow. So, its coming right up. Do you subscribe to the F&W email list? It will be announced. David can explain the complexity of the constraints the state has proposing and setting the dates as we have to work within a framework set by US Fish & Wildlife Service. Hope you have a fantastic rest of the year."

#14 ·
I'm with RangerX.

Late December/Early January would be the ideal close. Keep your October hunting..as long as we can have a longer split...

I am keeping an eye on the calendar of events at VT Fish and Wildlife. I'll post the dates so people who would really like to voice their opinion can.

#16 ·
"The board agenda is still being worked on for the February 24th meeting. I did ask the Commissioners office and the Waterfowl Season discussion is happening at this board meeting if you would like to attend. The season dates are usually established in NY, we collaborate with them to finalize.

Let me know if you have other questions. The agenda will be on our website as soon as it's complete."

This is the response I got from someone at VT Fish and Wildlife.The site still isn't updated so I'd hate for people to actually drive down there if this topic isn't on the agenda. The board meetings are held in Montpelier..

#18 ·
F&W posted this on their facebook page the other day.

"Public meetings on the status of waterfowl populations and waterfowl hunting seasons for the State of Vermont and Lake Champlain zone in New York will be held Tues, March 15 in Whitehall, NY, Wed, March 16 in White River Junction, and Thurs, March 17 in Essex, VT."
Then someone asked if they were replacing the hearings and this was their response-

"This is replacing the traditional August meetings. The time period during which waterfowl seasons are set has been moved to earlier in the year to give waterfowl hunters additional time to plan for the upcoming fall seasons. Instead of the seasons being announced at the last minute, they will now be announced much earlier in the year.If you have friends and family who are waterfowl hunters who traditionally expect to be involved with this process in August, please help get the word out that the meetings and input period have been moved up. Thanks for your inquiry!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.