tips for a recent transplant to VT?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

tips for a recent transplant to VT?

Postby Quinn_Smith » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Hello all,

I just moved down to Vermont (Bethel area) from Alaska this fall. I am a recent convert to waterfowl hunting (just a couple of years), and am excited to continue here.

I have been out a couple of times for geese so far, with minimal luck.

so I thought I'd reach out and see if I could rustle up some advise for where are generally good places to hunt geese and ducks?

also is there a retriever training club in the area? I have a 10 month Y. lab whom I'm training, never done retriever training before so a group would be helpful.

thank you all
-Quinn
Quinn_Smith
Newb

Postby treedog » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Hello, Quinn, I am fairly new to Vermont myself.

My uncles and brothers and I began hunting here in '52, then we were re-treaded and never came back to the Green Mountain State until the 60's, began hunting in earnest when my brother retired here in 1971-72 winter.

I was in Bethel the other day, picked up some parts for my Vermont Castings.

In reply to the querries, there are several retriever clubs, a hunting partner of mine can steer you to them better than I can, I will send him your way.

And the best hunting in your neck of the woods will be right through town and east, follow 14 and you'll see plenty of spots. If you'd like compnay or to join us at some of our spots, drop a line, I flaot the river with a friend when the weather is warm enough, I can't take being crouched in a canoe or baot on a cold day for very long. Not anymore.

Will
treedog
hunter

Postby HotDog » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:18 am

:welcome:

How far are you willing to travel?
Pick up a " Vermont Atlas and Gazetteer ". It is a detailed map that also outlines the wildlife management areas of the state.
Good luck to you.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby mailyard » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:35 am

im south of rutland ,if your young and in shape and don't mind walking i know of a whole lot of places on champlain. The best hunting seems to be in the hardest places to get to..go figure.
mailyard
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:04 pm

I am also looking for a retriever club in the Rutland County area if anyone has any help it is appreciated
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby mailyard » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:33 pm

i also would like to find a retriever club..or maybe we should just start one
mailyard
hunter

Postby Sgt_Rock » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Same here on the retriever club - we're in Pittsford. We have a few of use that have been going to Chittenden Dam on the weekend to work the dogs.

My avatar is Drake plowing in to Chittenden.

Eric
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog
Sgt_Rock
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:04 am

Quinn,
It all depends on how far you want to drive.
I would say any where on lake champlain where there is marsh is a good place to hunt for ducks. If you are looking for geese I would stay in the champlain valley, specificly Franklyn or Addison counties.
There is many big fields that are perfect for setting up spreads in. You just have to find then.
I know there is a lake champlain retrievers club. I've met a few of the people that run it, and one of thgem helped trained my black lab!
Peter
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Goldenboy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:07 pm

Sgt_Rock wrote:Same here on the retriever club - we're in Pittsford. We have a few of use that have been going to Chittenden Dam on the weekend to work the dogs.

Eric

I'm a member of the Lake Champlain Retriever Club. We have approximately 70 members throughout the state and hold four Hunt Tests and one Field Trial each year. We also offer periodic club training days. New members are most welcome. :smile:

Feel free to contact me at Markndogs@aol.com for more information on the club or go to our web site http://www.LCRCVT.org
Goldenboy
Newb

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting