Central VT Duck Hunting

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Central VT Duck Hunting

Postby Water(fowl)bury » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:32 pm

I live in Waterbury and this is my first year duck hunting. Does anyone have suggestions for spots around the Waterbury/Duxbury/Stowe area, or anywhere in Central VT? I live pretty close to the Waterbury Reservoir, and I think some people hunt at Cottonbrook up the Moscow Road, but I haven't tried anything around here. I will trade recipes for advice!
Water(fowl)bury
Newb

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:15 am

Try the Winooski river for some jump shooting. Ive killed a few ducks on the river just south of Waterbury in years past.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Thanks!

Postby Water(fowl)bury » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Thanks, I'll definitely try there. Also, I just kayaked out on the Waterbury Reservoir where it meets Cottonbrook. There are some promising looking spots. I saw a bunch of mergansers, two wood ducks, and a flock of geese looking to land. I'll post if it turns out to be a hotspot.
Water(fowl)bury
Newb

Postby ronvt » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Where in Waterbury are you? I live in Waterbury. I will usually hunt 4 days per week starting opening day. If you have a dog, the winooski can be productive.
ronvt
hunter

Postby Water(fowl)bury » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 am

I'm on Stowe St., up by the park-and-ride. I don't have a dog (I do, but he's not trained and would be a nuisance on the water) so I'm confined to what I can do with chest waders and a kayak. Any spots on the Winooski that you think I could get to?
Water(fowl)bury
Newb

Postby ronvt » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:46 pm

I live on 23 Butler street (Zachary's pizza nd Valley rent-all). If you want to try and get out together...stop by. It has been a good start for me. I have taken 42 birds and my dog has had 98 retrieves this year.
ronvt
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting