hunting the concourse off of Mallets Bay

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

hunting the concourse off of Mallets Bay

Postby Foxxtrot » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:11 pm

The bike path/old train route sign states you can hunt waterfowl off that thing. Is this still the case? Has anyone hunted off that thing. I bet you would scare the hell outta folks biking or walking that thing.
Foxxtrot
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:37 am

If you're going to do it, do it right. Wait for a bluebirdy day at the peak of foliage season, hunt in the middle of the day, and bring your ten gauge. Also, make sure to bring your digital camera to get pictures of the looks on their faces when you jump up and start blazing away.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby Foxxtrot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:03 pm

Oh hell yeah!
Foxxtrot
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:59 am

Yes you can hunt it. A man made structure going out into the water as it does is actually still considerd in the lake, the lake is regulated by the state and with the exception of refuges and Burlington harbor, completely open to hunting and fishing. There is actually a sign out there advising pedestrians of the presence of hunters, and asking hunters to be carefull of the pedestrians.
In the right conditions it can be a pretty good hunt, or can just be a long walk. Pack light in a big duffell, and ride a bike out there is the best advise I can offer. I used to live in MB and took my bike out there a few times. Much easier.
Have you punched a PETA member today? Why not?
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby Foxxtrot » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:18 am

Saw the sign and that gave me the idea to hunt it. I have a 14' kayak and may hunt from that after I review the rules on the matter or I will walk in from the path. Here are some spots I was thinking of. I will bring a couple dozen decoys and give it a try in the middle of the season. I haven't seen to many ducks around mallets bay so far.

Foxxtrot
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:18 am

Yup. Hunted right where those circles are. Having a bit of experience with the causeway I'll give you a few tips

Kayak is a long walk. Go out there and see if you really want to haul a kayak all that way. The camps/houses along the other shore used to marked with no parking, lake access signs, etc.. so not likely you will get them to let you drive out to the waterline.

Bike with a big duffell that will fit your waders and 1/2 doz dekes will get you there and back without working up a sweat.

The island...some years you can walk to it in waders (most years). There can be some good shooting off the shallow point closest to the causeway. Only thing out there is an old falling apart camp. A lot of the light areas in your pic is actually sand bar, it gets pretty shallow through there, yet not as much by the shore

The circled shore area has some years little pot holes in the grass. Check those out, the bottom is pretty decent for retrieving with waders as long as the water stays somewhat low. SHould be pretty good now, but when it gets back near 98-99 feet not so good.

If you walk, don't carry a lot of gear in June the parking lot to the causeway isn't that far. Its 2x further in late october with a bunch of gear. There are some guys that go out there with a garden wagon to carry their stuff.

If you look along the rocks there used to be rock blinds built along the casueway to hunt from.

Carefull how far south you go, some of the area you are looking at may fall into the Winooski Valley Park District. No hunting. They even say no firearms, but have no authority for that.

Good luck, might see you out there.
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby Foxxtrot » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:43 pm

went out today. Man it was quiet. Setup real well and just sat without a single sign of ducks, geese, or even people on the concourse.
Foxxtrot
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:05 pm

Warm day, that close to Sand Bar WMA Refuge....not going to see much. Wait til it gets cold and the refuge starts to freeze a bit and the duck MUST go to the open lake. Its a pretty short flight for ducks in the area to hit the refuge to the north of where you are, or inside Winooski Valley Park District to your west. That land off the Burlington Beltline is a safe haven and holds tons of ducks once they start getting shot at. The causeway is best once the shallow waters start freezing.
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby Foxxtrot » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:32 pm

Went for a walk with the wife yesterday and noticed two blinds made from driftwood about parallel with the island. I will try again next week sometime I think.
Foxxtrot
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:23 am

I'm telling ya....wait for colder temps. You live in SBurl...If its a walk in site you need go to the sand bar on a south wind. Park at the beach (the gate isn't locked, sometimes just closed though) You can walk to any of the first few blinds along the path the guys make.
If you want to hunt the causeway, get a chair and cooler and park your butt on the path a few mornings and watch where the birds go IF they show up. Set up there the day the season reopens.
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby Foxxtrot » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:10 am

I am going to go out Monday morning and watch to see if birds fly in and also put in a blind of sorts where the red circles are on the photo.
Foxxtrot
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting