Youth Weekend

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Youth Weekend

Postby VtechSkybuster » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:10 pm

Did anyone take any youths out this weekend? If so how did you all do? Hows the season look like its gonna sugar out to you? We saw a lot of birds in goose bay, i did not see many fall tho!! haha We still had a great time.
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby Blaiser » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:14 am

I know duckklr brought his boy out and he got a few green heads and one was banded. Great stuff
Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to it.
Thomas Harris

The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.
Walter Cronkite
Blaiser
hunter

Not youth weekend, but...

Postby NW_Vermont » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:08 am

Saturday will be my first hunt with my son. He's gone out with me before, unarmed. He recently passed his safety course so he's itchin' to go. He's young, but exhibits all the qualities that tell me he will be safe in the boat.

Very proud time for Dad (and Mom).

He's equipped with a 20ga 870 express with 3" shells. After much research, this appears to be good compromise for take-down power and not busting up a 9 year-old's shoulder.

Have any of you introduced a kid to hunting at this age?

Cheers.

NW.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:21 am

Great choice. I used that same gun when i first started duck hunting! My father bought it for me. Im 20 now and i still use it from time to time . Its a youth modle so the thing feels like it will fit in the palm of your hand, and i still use it skeet shooting and partridge hunting. I have introduced some kids to hunting.
We took 2 young guys out to our blind in goose bay this year and they had alot of fun, and it felt great to show them what i love so much.
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Postby NW_Vermont » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:30 am

We had the 870's stock cut to size for him and it appears to work and fit pretty well.

Kudos to you for introducing the kids. I don't know if I would have the patience, but those feelings would probably go away quickly if the kids appreciated the opportunity.

I live pretty close to Goose and Gander and it was sooo tough to get in the truck this morning to go to work and hear all the shots. If you have an event coming and you need warm temperatures and clear skies...just put me in my boat blind. Arrrg!

NW.
NW_Vermont
hunter

Re: Not youth weekend, but...

Postby HJF » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:23 pm

Have any of you introduced a kid to hunting at this age?

Cheers.

NW.[/quote]

Just a little pumpkin hunting right now :biggrin:

But next weekend it is game on with Bambi (look over her right shoulder) :thumbsup:

NW, just be careful with alot of shooting. That combo will pack a little bit of kick for a smaller shooter and no need of starting a flinch. My 8yo still is a little "gunshy" of a 20 with 3" shells.......but the AK and her deer rifle she will shoot all day with a big smile on her face. The 20 will come when she is ready.
HJF
hunter

Postby mossy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:43 pm

You were not kidding about the deer coming in from that slot in back of your house..Now you have the pic to prove it...unless its a decoy..ha,ha,ha
mossy
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:38 am

went out youth weekend both days and limited out both days in Gander bay. Very buggy but definetly worth the trip!
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby VtechSkybuster » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:47 am

Awsome. I was in goose and I thought I was going to die! the bugs were almost unbarable.
They might get my guns, but they're gonna get the bullets first!!
VtechSkybuster
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting