Dead Creek Snow Goose hunting

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Dead Creek Snow Goose hunting

Postby Sgt_Rock » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:42 am

We hit for a blind on the 17th and are looking for some ideas on which bilnds to look at when we pick. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Post your hunt details here and let us know how you made out.

Eric
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog
Sgt_Rock
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Bad week, no Canadas or Ducks open. Just look at the stats chart and go for the ones that list the highest shooting and kills.

Never was a big fan of going to DCWMA been 4-5 times, never fired a shot.
Have you punched a PETA member today? Why not?
vt dukhntr
hunter

Stats

Postby Sgt_Rock » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:32 pm

I've never been there - so they post the stats by blind there?

We're going to float some local water for ducks this weekend. I'll let you know how we make out.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog
Sgt_Rock
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:22 pm

They will post the stats showing the number of shots and geese taken from each blind, prior to making your blind picks.
Consider the weather and wind direction when picking your spot.
Also you may want to go with one of the blinds where there have been a lot of shots taken. Obviously the people using those blinds had a lot of shooting, but may have not gotten as many geese. Also if duck hunting is open on the lake, then people will be shooting at ducks, but on the 17th the lake zone will be closed for ducks.

Good Luck.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby ronvt » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:52 pm

I scored Nov 14. I am hoping this will be a good time to be hunting since it is the last day. I am planning on putting out 36 Canada full bodies, 24 shells, 18 field mallards, 2 robos, 3 landing geese and flagging. I think this will compliment the state silhoettes nicely. Any suggestions?
ronvt
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:59 am

Ron the best location for those state silo's is right where they are....covered up.
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby Sgt_Rock » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:49 pm

We had a good morning with regards to seeing lots of snows and canadas but no shooting.

There were only 4 shot that we know of out of the 6 blinds. We saw thousands of Snows, they just didn't want to land outside of the refuge.

It was an insane sight to see them light off the water at dawn.

Eric

Your faithful dog
Sgt_Rock
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:16 am

They were on the water??? I'm not so sure where they sit has water. But then I've never been allowed to walk out there. :no: Very cool site to see though.
vt dukhntr
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:04 am

I talked to the biologist down there this weekend, apparently they haven't had a single day where all the blinds were taken, so if anyone wants to hunt standby, it sounds like there are plenty of blinds open if you show up early. Some days they have only had 3 or 4 blinds taken.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:16 pm

I would guess that the blinds are open cuz the birds are flying about a mile before they are going to set down. what is the point of getting a blind and not shooting any snows?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby ronvt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:59 am

I had stopped applying when I found out that a few years ago there was only 250 birds shot in the season. I thought there used to be around 8 blinds and three hunters per blind. Thats approximately 20-25 hunters per day. Given the number of days allowed you chances are you will not shoot a bird. However, I did apply this year and will try again but it's not looking good. I think the fact that blinds are open is a testament to the decrease in birds and lack of overall successful hunts. However, I am going back this year with the hope that the one one day I am there will be the best :rofl:
ronvt
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:04 am

I went on the 20th, pulled blind number 3, saw thouands of snows and only 2 flocks of canadas which we were set up for. There was hardly any canadas because the snows have been pushing them out. :no: Although they all know where they are safe and where they aren't because they fly over you at 300 feet in the air. When I was there, 15 was the blind that had the most "opportunities"(depends on what some people call a shot opportunity!)
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Don't even bother with Dead Creek,if you want to just waste a day seeing them then you are in the right spot!But the blinds they have set up are all over hunted and the birds know where they are and aviod them like the plague!I hunt on the White Face Ranch and nailed the geese this year!The geese take off from Dead Creek and come right over too us!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Champney » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:23 pm

I have heard it was really bad from many people. I think they just need to move the blinds every year or a few years. The geese know where they are.
Champney
hunter

Re: Dead Creek Snow Goose hunting

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:50 pm

I agree but they leave them there year in and year out from what I have been told!I hunt outside the perserve and have had alot of luck,but not with the snows,never hunted them yet,but hammer the canadians,I am going after the snows this spring if they are up here in time,but the outlook is not good,everyone I have talked too is telling me we will not have snow geese here until after the season is over!But I made a deal with one guy that owns a taxidermy shop that if I get one before the season is over he'll mount it for me free of charge! :wink:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby HJF » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:13 am

pete/pmr wrote:I agree but they leave them there year in and year out from what I have been told!I hunt outside the perserve and have had alot of luck,but not with the snows,never hunted them yet,but hammer the canadians,I am going after the snows this spring if they are up here in time,but the outlook is not good,everyone I have talked too is telling me we will not have snow geese here until after the season is over!But I made a deal with one guy that owns a taxidermy shop that if I get one before the season is over he'll mount it for me free of charge! :wink:

Not sure who you are getting your info from regarding the snows not getting here until after our season closes. By the time our season ends just about every one will be staging on the St. Lawrence in and around Quebec City. The problem with the spring season is that most of the birds will go thru the state in a couple of quick pushes, and not hang out like in the fall. Sure there will be some smaller bunches here and there, but not a big bunch hanging out at DC for a month. Also alot of the greater snows go back north via western NY in the spring (which they don't do to that extent in the fall) These are a lot of birds we will never see in VT.
HJF
hunter

Postby Champney » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:51 pm

That is very true. I've seen almost every year geese dont even stop and the ones that do feed out a feild in a day or two and leave. I've been told by guides that once they start flying threw VT it's about a 3-5 day window on hunting them. The best chance your probably going to get is to be in the right feild in those 3-5 days.
Champney
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:56 pm

Not sure who you are getting your info from regarding the snows not getting here until after our season closes. By the time our season ends just about every one will be staging on the St. Lawrence in and around Quebec City. The problem with the spring season is that most of the birds will go thru the state in a couple of quick pushes, and not hang out like in the fall. Sure there will be some smaller bunches here and there, but not a big bunch hanging out at DC for a month. Also alot of the greater snows go back north via western NY in the spring (which they don't do to that extent in the fall) These are a lot of birds we will never see in VT.[/quote]

I have never hunted snows and the guy that is telling me that they won't be here til after the season is the guy that got me started on waterfowl hunting,but he swears the birds won't be here,he is originally from New Jersey but has lived up here since 1971 and has been duck hunting and goose hunting since he was a kid,so I listen too what he says since I only started in 2007 goose hunting,and only Canadians,but want too hunt snows!Just don't know anough about it so I am here,and on Nodak,and on hunting snows.com and the DU site asking as many questions as I can think of,plus I have my New York License and hip number,I just want too get on the birds!I have hustled my butt off scouting and getting permission too hunt farms in Shoreham,and the Whiteface Ranch and alot of other places,now it is just finding the birds before the season is over,but everyone is saying they are here on day gone the next,so you cannot pattern them,it is just random luck if they hit your field?This is what I am getting from everyone!What is thier preferance,corn fields,green fields,flooded fields or all of the above?I live in North Clarendon and have geese here all the time,I got 37 Canadians this year by myself,and loved it,but have no hunting partners that have the coffin blinds or decoys,I have just bought another blind so I can bring someone with me too hunt!But I need help with this snow goose thing!And I am open too suggestions!
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby LBeinhaur » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:26 am

Hey Pete,

Let me know anytime you want to go hunting on Dead Creek. I live up by Snake Mountain and hunt there a lot.
I had some luck last year with snows by staging my duckboat abot 25 yds off shore of the refuge and catching them coming off.
I cover it up with grass and lay in the bottom.
Goose hunting is very labor intensive so if you want to go let me know. I have 24 snow goose shells and a bunch of rags as well as around 3 doz. to 40 canada shells for the fall. i also have a layout blind. And a Stealth 1200.

I am always looking for someone to go so let me know.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Hey I am ready when you are!I was there on dirks farm and on johns farm hunting the last two days and I am ready when you are,I am self employed and laid myself off in September,and have no plans of calling me back till the end of Turkey season! :grooving: I will hunt everyday until then as long as it is open!Send me a pm and we can work something out!I turkey hunt over there alot,but have been mostly in Shoreham on Gary Norris's,but him and his brothers sold out thier farms,but I use to hunt over on snake mountain for turkeys!
I have two layout blinds and 4 dozen canadian shells and all total can get my hands on another 6 dozen,plus fullbodies!All with flocked heads and motion bases!I got the canadian thing down,its the snows I have never hunted before and it just wasn't an option for me,I was more into the canadians,and ducks!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5