goose season closed -but one man still hunts anyways

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

goose season closed -but one man still hunts anyways

Postby mailyard » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 pm

some idiot from CT was up for columbus day weekend and decided to hunt some canadas, because they were "everywhere." Plus a lack of hunting pressure, I pulled over to let him know goose season was closed. As he was surrounded by dead geese he argued that they reopened the interior zone. I was trying to let him know he was illegally hunting but instead got some line of BS. Should have reported him at that moment but came back a few hours later and he was gone. Maybe he just forgot to check the reg's, should i have turned him in??
mailyard
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:39 pm

There's regs for a reason...to protect a resource that we all own. The guy may be ignorant of the rules, or flagrantly ignoring them, it makes no difference. Turn him in. Also, what do you think the chances are of you getting away with anything if you go down and hunt CT?
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby mailyard » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:52 pm

he had a little kid with him as well..awesome. I honestly thought the guy just didn't know. I know where he lives (2nd home) and what his truck plates are but there is no reason to turn him in after the fact.
mailyard
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:34 pm

I would turn him in. I would call the game wardens now, I bet he will be right back out there again, and he probably wdoesn't even have a license, or State Stamps. At least Fish and Wildlife will know who he is if you call, and maybe they will catch him next time. They may also go to his house and look for goose carcasses.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 pm

I would turn him in.
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby lizard55033 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:05 am

Knowing someone is poaching and not turning them in is just as bad as the act itself...
Make Dem Splash
lizard55033
hunter

Postby Blaiser » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:06 am

I guess it would depend on his attitude for me. If he was a complete @SS and appeared to not care or you really believed him to be poaching of course turn him in. If it seemed like he really thought it was season and screwed up I wouldn’t turn him in. That’s a pretty big mistake but people do screw up and in this state our Game Wardens do not give people a break. If the guy was set up where everyone could see him than he obviously thought they were in season. How many of you have shot 1 too many Blacks and had your buddy claim one? It’s not right but it happens. I would consider it his 1 warning.
Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to it.
Thomas Harris

The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.
Walter Cronkite
Blaiser
hunter

Postby mailyard » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am

Knowing someone is poaching and not turning them in is just as bad as the act itself...???????????? I know that I have screwed up in the field, not to this extent but still screwed up. All i am saying is if the guy honestly didn't know, which I thought was the case he should just pack up his crap and leave. It was right on route 30, everyone who drove down 30 could see his spread. Why would he set up in plain sight if he Knew season was closed?

So no i dont believe that knowing and not turning someone in is as bad as the act itself...not knowing the law is no excuse but is different the knowingly breaking the law
mailyard
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:19 am

yes/no. His actions make the rest of us look bad. Allowing him to get away with it makes us look bad. It isn't right, it should get reported.
He was an out of stater...should have turned him in. REVENUE BABY!!
Have you punched a PETA member today? Why not?
vt dukhntr
hunter

Please report this

Postby lucas20fw » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:47 am

Mailyard, I certainly respect your wanting to be lenient on this, but this should be reported. It's up to the warden or judge to decide if he did it knowingly or not. This impacts the rest of us who follow the rules. You should call the Game Thief hotline 1-800-75ALERT (1-800-752-5378). The wardens may not even do anything, but at least report it. You can be completely annoymous for this.
lucas20fw
Newb

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:15 am

I couldn't agree more.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby TakeEm12 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:03 pm

vt dukhntr wrote:yes/no. His actions make the rest of us look bad. Allowing him to get away with it makes us look bad. It isn't right, it should get reported.
He was an out of stater...should have turned him in. REVENUE BABY!!

who is he making everyone look bad to? If your worried about some animal rights people...well they dont care when the seasons are they dont want you to kill anything period.
2009 waterfowl totals so far.....

Woodies -4
Mallards -4
Geese - 4
Shooting ducks like its my day job.
TakeEm12
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting