Lake Champlain Late season opener

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Lake Champlain Late season opener

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:02 am

We had a permit for Mud Creek on Saturday morning, we saw a lot of ringnecks and ended up bringing home 1. We had two others that we lost in the weeds behind us. Overall, the number of ducks seemed to be pretty limited. I didn't see many mallards at all.

All the other people I have talked to seem to be saying the same thing. Reports from the slang weren't too good either. Not many ducks flying.

Up on Magog the duck numbers seem low as well. I hunted South Bay one day, and we didn't even have any shots.

How is everyone else doing?
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

variable results

Postby goldeneye13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:43 am

It depends on the days. On saturday went out at Monty bay. We heard the guys around us shoot a lot. But for us nothing. The ducks were flying high and were decoy shy. On sunday morning was just one of those memorable days were the like to decoy and you get great shots. They started to decoy around 8h30. Before that everybody around us were shooting except us. We came back with 6 mallards and one black with my dad. We hunted the northern part of lake champlain around kings bay. Sunday was a good day!!!!

Fred
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:55 am

Good to hear you had better luck Sunday.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby HJF » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:49 pm

All green and black on staurday :biggrin: Have been fighting a bad cold since getting back from SK, and have only been out the 1 day.

HJF
hunter

Postby mossy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Not bad on Sunday...2 blacks, 2 Mallards and a Goose between three of us...Seen quite a few ducks...
mossy
hunter

Postby HotDog » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:40 am

I was in Kingsland Bay Saturday and Sunday.
Due to other responsibilities I only had a few hours in the mornings.
Not much for birds either day.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby ronvt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:48 am

I was at mud creek Saturday. The two of had 2 mallards, 2 ringneck, 2 widgeon, 1 pintail, 1 teal. Oh, and we took your ringneck home. We also had three cripples, 2 Canadas and 1 teal. I thought there were less birds but also decoy shy. We were set up around 75 yards from the x. Had we been in a different location it would have been more successful. Sunday, we did a field hunt and the two of us took 6 Canadas and 3 large mallards.
ronvt
hunter

Postby Lavman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:29 am

Hunted the Slang Sunday (11/9/08) and came home empty handed, did see a total of 7 ducks, all high fliers, no shots.
Lavman
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting