Anybody still hunting waterfowl

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Anybody still hunting waterfowl

Postby LBeinhaur » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:20 pm

Is anybody still seeing any birds, canadas are out , but how about ducks? I haven't seen crap for about 2 weeks since the cold spell.
I sure would like one more crack at the ducks before it ends.
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby mailyard » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:23 pm

i hunt vt and ny and where i hunt the mallrds are still hanging....big ol bunches of them.
mailyard
hunter

Postby ronvt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:17 pm

I hunted yesterday with a buddy. Two whistlers. Drove through the islands to swanton...no birds. Talked to GW and basically told to give up that the birds are gone. Talked to a gentlemen from Quebec who is an avid waterfowler and they saw the same thing that we did. All their birds left in the first week of November. I am going tomorrow for divers and I will post results.
ronvt
hunter

Postby goosespirit » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:41 pm

Divers are here. Saw many, many rafts of bluebills and whistlers south of crown point today
goosespirit
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:08 pm

is that so. I scouted this morning from the bridge all the way to benson landing and only saw a raft of mergs. Are you sure and what time did you see them?
chambo32
hunter

Postby goosespirit » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:59 am

Yep, glassed them up with a pair of 10x42 swarovskis. down around Orwell I saw quite a few. With this weather, however, that water may not be open for long
goosespirit
hunter

Postby ronvt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:47 pm

I saw thousands of divers last week but not may this week.
ronvt
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:53 pm

Found some whistlers on Friday in the islands scouting, and managed to get 17 of them on Saturday. They were the only birds I found in 7 hours of scouting most of the lake. I hope this cold pushes more down for next weekend.
chambo32
hunter

Postby JkittredgeAddison » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:13 am

large pods of divers for the past week and a half from Orwell to Crown Point (whistlers & buffle head)...

puddle birds are still here...hundreds last week until the cold came inland...

the lake is showing some promise...hit a black this morning...had one other decoy in...saw a large pod of mallards (30) fly over just out of range while I was picking up...still geese movement...the cold and storm today should bring good action for this morning...
JkittredgeAddison
Newb

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 am

Got a gw teal on Saturday, I don't things are over yet.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby JkittredgeAddison » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:28 am

whacked two more this morning out of 8 that flew in (crazy hunt when you freeze to your chair)...anyways a huge drake black and green head...

lots of action on the large part of the lake (whistlers)...birds moving up and down...need to hunt them from a boat...nothing coming close to shore...
JkittredgeAddison
Newb

Postby goldeneye13 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 am

Is anybody doing anything in the Westport and Port HEnry area or have all the birds flown south????

Was planing depending on this weeks weather to go hunting there next saturday.

Took a drive in tha area on friday and by Westport I saw couple of flocks of buffleheads and wistler. In are area nothing much that's left.
goldeneye13
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:53 pm

I hunted Alburg/Isle lamotte last Fri Sat......lots of whistlers hi flying ......no puddlers nothing decoying ......hunted around laphams bay sunday......big raft of Blk&wht birds in middle of lake.....nothing at all flying before the snow storm. all the ramps are freezing.....could be over!!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby vt dukhntr » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:03 am

ITS NOT OVER YET!!!!!

Actually I've seen a few birds here and there, enough that if I we can get out of the office we'll be on the lake.

Driving around Wed 12/9 we saw a woodie, YUP a late season drake woodie swimming along the shore with a few blacks and mallards at the sand bar.

Supposed to go out this weekend for whistlers, will go out Saturday and SUnday then will likely call it a season with 4 days remaining. Been a good year, shot a buch of mallards.

Observation late season birds DON'T always look for sheltered areas. Almost all the ducks we saw looking around Wednesday were sitting in rough waves bobbing all around. Not the best places to set up in a boat, but that's where the birds were.

Dave
Have you punched a PETA member today? Why not?
vt dukhntr
hunter

This week

Postby LBeinhaur » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:21 am

Glad to see you guys a re still seeing birds, I gotta get set up for the lake next year.

In the past couple of days I have seen 2 doe (posted ground), a flock of 36 turkeys (posted ground) and yesterday around 100 Canada geese sitting in a field near Burlington ( posted ground)
Guess they knwo where to hang out HUH?

Oh well there's always next year!!
LBeinhaur
hunter

Postby HotDog » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Good thing the geese were on posted ground.
That season closed out Dec. 3rd.
However, snows are open until Dec. 29th.
Good luck this weekend.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby JkittredgeAddison » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:11 am

the geese have been moving in addison all week from the northwest, south...with them have been pods here and there of puddle ducks...i've seen a good number of mallard/black pods and a great deal of divers...the puddlers have been early morning...i suspect they are settling in somewhere and then staying put for the day because not much happens after 9:30am...need hunters on the lake this weekend!!!picked up a black and drake mallard the other day, a drake mallard yesterday...had a large pod of something land just out of range of the decoys at the same time the mallard was in range...still seeing action...
JkittredgeAddison
Newb

Postby duckin-A » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:54 am

Are there any open boat ramps anywhere on Champlain??
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby chambo32 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:27 pm

yeah friday afternoon:

draw bridge, north hero (both inland sea side), sand bar (by the motel), burlington, above the ferry in the islands. There are quite a few open. I did see 3,000 drake.............fish bitters in the gut. Most of these should stay open even in this cold tonight.
chambo32
hunter

Postby HotDog » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:34 am

Converse Bay access in Charlotte is still open.

The "Frostbite Fleet" is still getting out for some awesome salmon fishing.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting