Champlain ducks

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Champlain ducks

Postby ronvt » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:20 pm

Went up to Sandbar scouting and saw tons of ducks: mallards, woodies,ringnecks,blacks,widgeon,bluebills, goldeneyes,barrows, redheads,and a canvasback. Watched several ospreys building nests. In the last 2 weeks have identified almost all species of local ducks except for pintail drakes and harlequins. If any one has seen any harlequins I would love to get some photos so please post. Just thought I would give an off season report.
ronvt
hunter

Re: Champlain ducks

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:56 am

Do we even have Harlequins in Vermont?I didn't think we did?But if we do then maybe that is what my buddy saw the other day?He has been trying to figure it out and we are thinking it is a Ruddy duck!But he didn't see the sharp pionted tail of the Ruddy!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Champney » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:36 pm

I saw my first pintail in little otter a couple days ago. some teal, woodies, blacks and alot of mallards around too. I have seen some canadas around now too when scouting for turkeys.Two years ago I was hunting in shelburne bay and saw a harlequine. It went right back into town.
Champney
hunter

Postby ronvt » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:42 pm

We ocasionally get Harlequins and when we do it seems like all the bird watchers know. I am fortunate to know an avid vegetarian birder who will inform me of any interesting ducks in the area. Although she does not tell me the spot. Now taht I am getting more into photography I would like to capture one on film. Thinking of going to the biodome tomorrow to capture some birds since it will be a 90% chance of rain.
ronvt
hunter

Postby HopSing » Sat May 30, 2009 8:34 pm

This week I saw a pintail drake the slime next to RTE 2 in the Sandbar swamp. Kinda late to be seeing them
HopSing
Newb

Postby pete/pmr » Sun May 31, 2009 2:28 am

We have seen so many Canadians,my neighbor is begging me too start shooting them,he said he is calling the game wardens because they are pounding his corn fields right now,pulling up his new seedlings of corn!So he wants them gone!!! The last group of geese I saw had all thier babies,and some mallards I saw on Otter Creek had clutches also,alot of ducks and geese around for this coming season!I am expecting a good year this year!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Champney » Sun May 31, 2009 12:56 pm

Theres also a flock of 30 birds in my area that are picking corn of a farmers land. He got a permit to shoot them with his rifle but he has to bary them after. Been seeing some mallards too and also the stupid comrades. I think its going to be a great September season.
Champney
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting