layout boat for goose ?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

layout boat for goose ?

Postby goldeneye13 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:35 pm

HAve any of you guys tried to hunt for goose on lake champlain out of a layout boat..... I'M planning to try that this year. I'm wondering what would be the best way to cover up in the layout but... Should I put grass on top or simply a peace of burlap the same color has the layout boat to cover me completely? Any of you guys have ideas?????

Fred
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work
goldeneye13
hunter

Re: layout boat for goose ?

Postby Champney » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:08 am

I have done it before only because the geese were only using golf fields and there was no other way to hunt them, other than that I don't like shooting geese on the roost. I only used a layout boat once covered in real grass and it kinda worked but after the first flock the other flocks didn't come near it. The past two years I have been hunting ducks out of a canoe only and tried geese and seemed to work better than the layout bat. I just have a layout blind in my canoe then cover the whole thing in real grass. it looks like a big weed patch in the middle of the bay but works good and the geese committed to it too. I'm planning on buying 60 floaters to get into it more this year.
Champney
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting