Live birds for training

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Live birds for training

Postby chambo32 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:05 pm

Where do I get live birds to train with from. I have heard netting pigeons at night works. Any ideas for me would be greatly appreciated.
chambo32
hunter

Re: Live birds for training

Postby Champney » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:39 am

I would ask the big dog trainers like Alec sparks (snowbound Kennels)
Champney
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:38 am

Buy or make a pigeon trap and put it up underneath the framework of a bridge that has pigeons roosting under it. Much easier and safer than crawling around in the rafters of a barn getting white nose syndrome from all the bats.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby snogoose » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:44 am

Try contacting Rick Irick, President of DU/VT. He gets live birds for the LCRC events rom a guy in state....they ARE pretty particular about hwo they sell them to though. There are liability/legal concerns, believe it or not...but worth a try. Also may want to try Jennifer Adsit in Charlotte, Sect'y of LCRC (Lake Champlain Retriever Club)...
snogoose
hunter

Postby mailyard » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:52 pm

i know you can buy pheasants from the hunting preserves, i too have thought about trying to live trap some pigeons. Next year im going to raise quail I know you have to get a permit i think it is about $250 I want to raise them to hunt and sell to guys who want to train their dogs.
mailyard
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:58 am

I would just go to any barn after dark where pidgeons roost and most times you can grab them with your bare hands. I did this last week with the help of the barn owner and caught as many as I wanted. I kept them in a hav-a-hart trap till the next morning when i used them for dog training. Its that easy! Just don't keep them over some news papers because they crap over everything!
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby 2browndogs » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:12 am

I bought a pigeon trap from Cabelas and trapped all kinds of pigeons at a local barn...the owner wanted to get rid of them. I had to bait them w/o the trap for a few days using cracked corn, then placing the corn under the pigeon trap and it was pretty easy. You can also buy pheasants from Plantes farm in Morrisonville. Hope it helps.

Shawn
2browndogs
Newb

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting