Blinds in Virginia ?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

What do you think of Va. Blind Laws

I like them and yes I have one or more
29%
I don't like them and no I don't have any other then a floater
57%
I like them and no I don't have any or just a floater
14%

Total votes : 7

Blinds in Virginia ?

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:42 pm

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/reg ... sp#General
So where do we start , oh I know let's start with the newest one .
Offshore Blind Stake Site*
Unless a license for a stationary blind has been obtained and a stationary blind has been erected by the required time, a non-riparian owner who has not already licensed and erected a stationary blind for the year in the 5-county area identified above and who holds a valid hunting license, may apply to the local license agent of the county in which, or nearest which, an offshore blind stake site is to be located for a license for an offshore blind stake site. Except as noted below, the license for an offshore blind stake site may be obtained from November 1 through November 10 of each year. Up to four (4) offshore blind stake site licenses may be purchased per licensee. Once obtained, a stake shall be erected on the site and a license plate supplied with the license for that season shall be affixed thereto by November 10.

From November 11 through November 15 of each year, any riparian owner and any other person who has already licensed and erected a stationary blind for the year in the areas noted above, and who holds a valid hunting license, may apply to the local license agent or clerk of the circuit court of the county in which an offshore blind stake site is to be located for a license for any remaining offshore blind stake sites. Up to 4 offshore blind stake site licenses may be purchased per licensee. Once, obtained a stake shall be erected on the site, and a license plate supplied with the license for that season shall be affixed thereto by November 15.

The application for an offshore blind stake site license must be presented to the license agent in the County or City in which or nearest which the blind stake is to be located. Separate applications must be completed for each individual offshore blind stake.

View list of where to apply for an Offshore Blind Stake Site License
Offshore Blind Stake Site License Application (PDF)
* Offshore blind stake site means a specific location in the public waters where a stake is licensed for the purpose of hunting and shooting waterfowl from a floating blind in the counties of Caroline, King George, Essex, Westmoreland and Richmond in any of the public marshes, guts, streams, branches, creeks, or bays including among other Green Bay and Port Tobago Bay, flowing into the Rappahannock River or into any of its tributaries, or in Bucknerā€™s Creek, Nomini Creek, and Nomini Bay, flowing into the Potomac River or into any of its tributaries.

So what do y'uall think this one is trying to do ?

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:43 pm

Being in the military and a part time resident of VA, I don't agree with them for the most part, BUT! I can say that if I was a local and inherited my great grand daddy's mudflats and blind locations I would appreciate the added security the laws provide.
The laws have made it very tough to hunt but I have still enjoyed some great hunting after a little leg work and research.
I have met a few blind owners that have offered the use of there blinds after polite conversation at the boat ramps etc.
Bottom line, the laws are not gonna go away anytime soon, just gotta make the best with what we have available now.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:32 pm

well i like some parts of the laws. I mean if everyone hunted one hot spot there would be no birds there. I think anywhere there is tidal water you should be able to place a blind. If some one wanted to place one 50yds off my pier, they should go for it, and i shouldnt be able to come back and put one right beside it. There are a lot of good places that people are too lazy to put blinds up.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:12 am

When the rules are in black and white they have to be better then not having any . Follow the law while looking for a spot and the time spent will be well worth it . Those stakes on open water isn't hitting on much , find those blind owners and become there new best friends and sorry for saying this using Mr. green for the 300 yard mark .
Don't tell us but answer this question , how many blind tag numbers do you call in to find the owners ?

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting