The Deer never seen

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

The Deer never seen

Postby cut_un » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:09 am

I'm lucky enough too be able to walk out of my back door and go deer hunting! It's always been my dream to "kill a big-un" on my property so I could look up at him and say ...he came off MY property :thumbsup:
As I have hunted, I've passed up small bucks, (spikes, 4 pts. and even a few small basket racks)...waitin for mister big I did finally kill ....mister big last smokepole season. He carried a 7 pt rack, 18 " wide but he was on the decline, real old and tired looking, swayed back. Big around as a barrel and short legs. I popped a cap and figured I had killed "de man". He had the area I hunt in torn up. Scrapes were red hot, trees rubbed, as hot a place as I've ever hunted :smile:
The spot went cold for about a week. Til the new man stepped up to the plate. He was rubbing the same trees higher that "de man had", opened up the scrapes even bigger.
I had 'de mans' horns done in a horn mount as they were nice but not great. and figured I had finally reached my goal. Til, this new buck showed up. I've been counting down the days til I could "sit the tree" and wait on mister big. Even sit it once just to see what was going on . saw a spike and a nice 6 pt. no mister big. But I kew he was around.
My world turned yesterday
It all started with the buzzards sitting in a tree about 30 yards from the house. Wife said they had been hanging around for the last few days. SO, I checked out way the birds were my new neighbors.... and their he was . Man talking about a buck. He was an eight, Haven measured it yet, but about 20 "wide. The points, man the are about 12 " long, I swear as pretty a rack as I have see.... and I've never seem one this pretty ...in the wild :thumbsdown: Don't know how he died, but what a shame , he should have gone down like the warrior he was, not just laying down and die. It's a shame he could not have had one more chance to breed the does, pass on his genes and give me something to look forward to for yet another season! Oh, well, such is life :eek:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby duksndeerhntr » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:12 pm

Man cut that almost brought a tear to my eye. I too can also walk out of my back door and go deer hunting. I had a chance at an ok buck last year and just missed him. But he was no where close to being de man. Just this past week i was walking in my back yard and there was a deer track the size of my hand. He has been rubbing trees the size of both my fists put together all the way up to my chest. This buck really is de man. Last season i had to small buck start fighting 40 yard in front of me and another buck came through the woods, i never saw him but it must have been a big one because it scared both of the smaller bucks away. We have had som nice deer taken from behind my house. My dad has killed a nice 12 point and another wall hanger was hit by a car a couple of years ago. :thumbsdown: But i have a trail camera out in the woods so maybe ill get a good picture of him soon. :getdown: :thumbsup:
duksndeerhntr
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:57 pm

Hey good to hear from ya D&D, what do you think buddy is up to...... ????? Hope he has had a good weekend, goofin off :getdown: When he gets back, it all business!
Yea, I cut the horns off his head today and after the fact, they still look huge! He would have looked sooo good looking through my smokepole scope! Oh will, I guess I'll have to wait til next year , I've seen a nice 6 that should be real nice ...if the makes it til then. I hear that a pair of big-ns has been caught by a trail cam a few times down the road, maybe they will show up. At any rate, I'll set the spot and see what will show up. I'm still going to hold out for the biggest and badest. Time is on my side, huntin these deer is just for the fun of it..... I go to the club for "de meat"

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby duksndeerhntr » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:07 pm

i talked to h20fowler the other day and he hadnt caught any fish, but he said he was having a good time.

I have a fifteen acre cut over right beside my house and that were they are all hiding. During the summer of 2004 i drove by the soybean field that is nest to the cut over and there were 3 sallies eating in the field and four wall hangers chasing each other around playing. I wish i had my camera then. I just hunt behind my house when i get out of class or after work but i go to de club to hunt for meat and listen to the dogs run. We had a nice ten point taken at the club 3 or 4 years ago that placed in the state and 2 other monsters that kept giving us the slip. One of them was seen while someone was rabbit hunting and the buck just layed there while the rabbit dogs ran circles around it then when they went in to kill the rabbit he buck stood up and walked away like he knew he was de man. :laughing:
git-r-done PG styles
duksndeerhntr
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:17 pm

Yes, I think most people, me included woulod be supprised just how many big bucks are around that we never see. This deer had been giving me the slip. I'd seen his sign his tracks but not him! I may have one around here that would make him look small. I'm planning on getting a trail cam so I can see just what is hanging around. I keep a food plot by my garden spot ..for the does and when the rut kicks in my swamp is "de bed room" and my graden spot/plot is "de kitchen" Guess where I'll be hanging up a tree :salude:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby duksndeerhntr » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:28 pm

where about is your hunt club and what part of chester do you live in where you can hunt out of your back door
duksndeerhntr
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:40 pm

I live in chesterfield County and have 18 acres ..with ajoins another piece of about 45 acres, that too I can hunt. In all I have a spot of woods that is I guess 200 acrea of woods surrounded by road that the game can live in. But I own the swamp!!!! My club too is in Chesterfield, on the App. River, about 5,000 acres By the Chesterfield Berry farm :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:02 pm

Hey d&d you better get ready to claen that big buck for me. I am gonna get him. I saw him tonight. Hes got 14 pts if hes got 2. I bet he's 200 plus lbs.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:10 pm

Had the rack scored today (B&C) scored 143 7/8 Still feeling sick :oops: :oops: :oops:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting