ringnecks

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

ringnecks

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:12 pm

i was wondering if any ever goes out for ringenecks... we have been hunting them on a farm pond the last two years and have had some awesome shoots, but it seems that no one i have talked really invests any time in them other than myself... i think they are a blast and where we hunt they tend to come in right at shooting light giving for some fun and tough shooting... just wondering if anyone has any thoughts
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby FEATHERBUSTER » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:35 pm

AIN'T A THING WRONG WITH THEM RINGNECKS. ONE OF MY FAVORITE TIMES OF THE SEASON IS WHEN THEY SHOW UP AROUND HERE IN FORCE. THEY WILL DEFINATELY KEEP YOU ON YOU TOES. :yes:
FEATHERBUSTER
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:36 pm

Never messed around with um but hey if it's a duck :salude: :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:22 pm

To hear y'uall talk they are everywhere , well I haven't seen one here where I live and hunt . Now why is that I mean it's a diver and all divers like open water , Right ? I can see where I could mistake them for something else but one would think that I would had kill one in 30 years of hunting .
Could it be that they don't do saltwater ? How about they just don't hang with scaup being that they look somewhat alike ?
I can see right now I'm going to go west this year to get me a drake , and here I was thinking that a Pintail was going to be last for the wall .

:yes: LD :yes:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:15 pm

ringnecks are freshwater divers... i hunt about both on the coast and about an hour inland and i shoot them at my spot an hour inland coming of a big lake onto a small farm pond... hunting on the coast my whole life never even thought about shooting one... on the flip side ive never seen any other divers inland, no scaup, redheads, anything... so that may answer ur question, if u hunt the coast or any saltwater you prob wont see any unless its a fluke...
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:40 pm

Don't feel bad LewDog, I have got 15 birds mounted and still want to mount 12 more differet birds. :yes:

Lets See, I want to mount a: Redhead, Pintail, Canvasback, Bluebill, Brant, Goldeneye, Ruddy, Old ........ect. :laughing: :laughing:

Goosesmacker :cool:
-----------------
www.vawfa.org :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby OATBED » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:19 am

We shoot a few ringnecks on the chick. Usually we well take about 10 a year. Boy they sure come in fast and you can hear a lot of wind through the wings. We also so have a local name for them, which is ringbill.
OATBED
hunter

Postby Kessler » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:47 pm

goosesmacker wrote:Don't feel bad LewDog,
I want to mount a: Redhead :laughing: :laughing:

Goosesmacker :cool:
-----------------
www.vawfa.org :thumbsup:

Anyone?
:umm:
:eek:
:toofunny:
Keep working......................
Millions on welfare depend on you!!!!!!!!
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 pm

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I'm afraid Kess nailed ya on that one smackdaddy :umm: I'm laughin but........you DID say it :oops:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby mallardman68 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:29 am

Kinda crazy how all this plays out, one spot I hunt is about 3 hours inland and I have killed a Can, Bluebills, Ringnecks, Ruddy's, Redheads and saw a Cinnamon Teal there, but just cannot seem to find a Pintail to save my own tail right here in Hopewell where I am "told" they fly pretty good. I did kill a Mottled duck here a couple of years ago but Isabelle took care of that when I lost my power for 9 days :(
Save a duck-shoot a predator!
mallardman68
hunter

Postby Kessler » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:29 am

mallardman68 wrote:Kinda crazy, but just cannot seem to find a Pintail to save my own tail right here in Hopewell

Johnson's Marsh WAS ONCE full of sprigs. Alot of birds have seemed to have left the City Point area.They all went to Tar Bay.
:laughing:
I know of a Brand Spanking New blind down there.Let's all go and hunt it ! :umm: :umm: :toofunny:
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:15 am

I sure hope you arent talking about my blind there buddy. :toofunny: yea that place aught to be a goose slaying honey hole. We are gonna have to get together and go.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:16 am

oh yea, i sure hope you can shoot from a slight lean. I didnt have a level the day we framed it. Its not too bad. I think is like 2 inches higher in the back
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby Kessler » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:47 am

vah2ofowler22 wrote:oh yea, i sure hope you can shoot from a slight lean. I didnt have a level the day we framed it. Its not too bad. I think is like 2 inches higher in the back

That would be for rain run off!
:getdown:
Yea,we seen you out there building the blind as we were fishing for them "chrome mullet"
:yes:
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting