Lesson Learned on the seaduck hunt .

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

Lesson Learned on the seaduck hunt .

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:01 pm

Well we had a great day on the bay , saw lots of birds and got to shoot at some of them . Five of us on one boat made history saturday on the lower bay and had fun doing it . I gain a lot of info from the hunt , let me share with all what that was .
(1) Towing a boat to the hunt burns up a lot of the hunting time . If I plan to tow the boat around for hunts it needs to be done the day before .
(2) Boat color doesn't matter in seaduck hunting after the birds see the decoys but does matter before they see them , Black is better then white .
(3) Wind helps decoys to be seen . I must look into ways of getting my decoys seen sooner .
(4) Hunting with more boats will work just fine , we had Ambush in the center of the decoys , but it could have been on one side with other boat covering all around the decoys .
(5) Ambush does good in the wind . Yesterday the tide was going out and the wind was out of the south east , if I have of had a sea anchor we could have staied all day . As it was it was the tow boat that made us pull up the decoys and go in .

Ambush next hunt will be a Diver , Puddle , Goose and seaduck hunt in the mouth of the hole-in-wall the 26 of Nov. and I will take up to 6 other hunters with me .

:hammering: LD :hammering:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:51 pm

All I had to offer was a gun, 3 doz. seaduck deks and 1 or 2 lame jokes. :help:
Question: would YOU have Me back...... or are you talkin "new gun" :cool:
I do think we all learned a little about the fine art of seaduckin :salude:
It's a start and we were a success. heck I even saw a few ducks fall over my own hand painted deks. I enjoyed it and had a ball "Capt.Lewdog" :salude:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:21 pm

Thanks for great day afield, and some memories that will last a lifetime. I enjoyed gunning with all that showed and look forward to more in the future. Thanks again Lewdog. Thats something that i would love to do again.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:11 pm

Like I told you all yesterday just say the word and we will be on the hunt , that's why I name a date for the next hunt . Not having to tow the boat offshore we can hunt the whole day , jumping from blind to Ambush to blind , or if its a bluebird day we can go for the seaducks the whole time .

:yes: LD :yes:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby OATBED » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:42 am

Thanks for a great day Captain Lewdog. We spanked a few thanks to your job of scouting and putting us on the flyway. This was a new experience for me (seaducking) and I found the birds approach to be exciting and the sport of hitting them to be challenging.
OATBED
hunter

Postby VARINA » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:21 pm

A day SeaDuck hunting is better than a day at work. :thumbsup:
VARINA
hunter

Postby Kessler » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:14 pm

VARINA wrote:A day SeaDuck hunting is better than a day at work. :thumbsup:

T.C.,GET BACK TO WORK!!
:toofunny:
Keep working......................
Millions on welfare depend on you!!!!!!!!
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:50 pm

yea diver hunting is awsome. i went today after school lol :mrgreen:
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:15 pm

Not knowing all the ends and outs of seaducking, is it a question of scouting and finding their flyway? Are there locations /spots that they feed in and does the tide change have any effect on their habits????? At this point in time all I know is show up early, stay as late and you can, bring lots of deks and if you want to see them fold up, you better lead them just a might :cool: :cool:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:19 pm

you better lead them just a might

Cut-un, You do mean lead them like you are shooting at a fighter jet. :laughing: Jeez dem suckers can be tricky.
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:33 pm

Cut the way I read what the yanks say on the diver forums , when you scout for seaducks you look for ducks raftting . They say to situp on the same spot for that is where there food is and they will come back . The spot we was at wasn't a raft spot and is why all of our birds was moving up and down the bay until they saw the decoys and would turn and come in . The spot that was a mile south of where we was at that I said I saw 1 or 2 hundred rafting Wed. around 2 pm was there today at about the same time and is proof that is true . But where we was at is proof that seaducks are easy to decoys .

:smile: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:47 pm

well for me, its more or less look and see where the ducks like to be. it changes quite often, and i only hunt the same scooter spot a couple times if that lol. use lots of decoys, hide good, dont move when they come close, and shoot em up :mrgreen:
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:34 pm

Still another lesson to be learned on seaduckin... keep going!!! Talked to an old friend at tractor supply tonight he had gone over to "de shore" last weekend for a bit of sea duckin (scoter shootin) and had a blast. Got me all "jacked up" Gotta kill me some :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Sorry, can't help it... They are fun to shoot :cool:

Now get this. He even eats um :laughing: :laughing: And he likes um too :laughing: :laughing:
He said he soaks them in buttermilk for a full day and then fixes them just was you would a mallard or any other duck???? What do you think. Killing scoters and then eaten um too :mrgreen:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting