decoys to get

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

decoys to get

Postby aarongreen123 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:46 am

hey guys! i'm looking at buying some decoys, starting from scratch. i am new to duck hunting in VA, live in Virginia Beach. i plan to hunt at chickahominy and on the james at ragged island. what species of decoys would you all advice me to buy? how bout brand name? advice on rigging?
thanks
aaron
aarongreen123
hunter

Postby VARINA » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:25 am

Talk to vah2ofowler22, he's da man.
VARINA
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:17 pm

Aaron, look to page 3 of the old post here in the Virginia Forum, I posted a similiar question in Sept and got some great info from everyone. I might be heading to Ragged Island this week, let me know if your interested. Mike
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:49 pm

Don't worry buddy, told ya these guys will take you under their wing and treat you like family....we better than family :thumbsup: Cause you are a brother on here :salude:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:22 pm

Well Well. Lets see. I use all GHG decoys, because those are the ones i like :toofunny:

Well now on a serious note.
I would start with duck decoys, because in those areas that will probally be the most popular bird to check into your spread. Hunting the chick in the late dec and Jan months you need a good amount of decoys. I would start with 2-3 mallards(ghg hot buys $20 cabelas, Cant beat that) Then maybe look into some blue bills(the ghg and the g&h are good, or find some old ones and paint them. then splash in some pintails,(6) some teal (6) and maybe a pair of woodducks.

Know goose hunting in those areas i really dont know much about, i have heard good things about the numbers are rising. I would look at 4-8 decoys, and the number one thing to look at here is a flocked head. (ghg or final approach, i think are the only ones now. Higdon is gonna to have some next year, Thats a little insider tip)

Then as far as rigging goes you can come see me at work and i can hook you up. Shipping on weights is expensive. AND NOT MATTER WHAT YOU WANT TANGLE FREE LINE. It sucks trying to un knot decoys with your fingers freezing.

Well i sure hope this helps you, or anyone else that spent the time to read it. Good luck, and most of all ENJOY THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF H20 FOWLING
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby surryduck » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:45 pm

Above all, make sure you have a beaver and a deer in the spread! That's vah2ofowler22's secret! He wasn't going to get up off it...but i've seen it with my own eyes! :smile: Hottest shooting this year!
- Chairman, Old Dominion Chapter of Delta Waterfowl
- Committee Member & Sponsor
James River Chapter Ducks Unlimited
-Member VAWFA
- Church Decoys Pro-Staff
-Member NRA
-James River Duck Guide Service

-Oak Hills Morgan Fire (Morgan)
surryduck
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:18 pm

look boy, you cant tell all my tricks. I hope the duck/bear hunt in NC is as exciting as the tuesday morning hunt. I bought a new scope for my .308 today. I am ready to go!!!! :getdown: :salude:
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting