Rules on waterbodies??

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Rules on waterbodies??

Postby NOVAggie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:04 pm

So what are the rules to hunt rivers/streams/lakes??

Back in TX, if you could launch a boat legally, you could hunt legally. Is it the same here?

For instance can I put a boat/canoe in goose creek and float down and blast?
Or launch a boat at a local "lake" and shoot?

Also is it the same as back home with tresspassing? As long as you dont step out of your boat and wade or walk on land you are not tresspassing??

Thanks.

I am searching for spots so when I get a boat this summer I will have places to scout...

THanks
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:16 pm

It's the same here I think , but anything east of I 95 has blind laws to deal with . http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/reg ... d_laws.asp

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:28 pm

Yea, it's all pretty confusing and the best thing to do is read it in print...and reread it ....til it all starts to make sense :thumbsup: we can talk about it all night but you will only get more confused :help:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:16 pm

Just get a lawyer to help you!!! :toofunny: :toofunny:
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:19 pm

yeah i know about the blind laws east of 95. I have read the regs and didnt see anything about it in there. So I assume I can hunt on a lake, stream or river.

THere may be more places around here than I originally thought, now lets see if they have birds...
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby Bluebill Buster » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:13 pm

Oh trust me.. they are there!

Floating Blind
"Floating Blind" means a floating device, whether in motion or anchored, that can be occupied by and conceal one or more hunters, uses a means of concealment other than the device's paint or coloration, and is used in the public waters for the purpose of hunting and shooting waterfowl.

Floating Blinds in Fairfax, King George, Prince William and Stafford counties
Floating blinds must be anchored and located no closer to another's blind than 400 yards and must be at least 400 yards from shore unless person has written permission of blind owner or landowner. Such blinds must be taken in at a half hour after sunset.
In the area adjacent to the National Park Service lands in the Great Hunting Creek and Dyke Marsh areas floating blinds must be attached to a Game Department-placed post or buoy. Only one floating blind per post. These are on a first-come, first-served basis, sites to be occupied no earlier than 4 a.m. or later than one half hour after sunset, and blinds removed each day. Hunters in licensed floating blinds can hunt from designated locations during legal shooting hours on Thanksgiving Day and on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays during the open season.

These are only applicable if you are hunting in the above counties or east of 95. Ideally the best thing to do, is contact the local game warden and ask him questions. He might even be able to give you a heads up for a stationary blind that is vacant that you might be able to get or a spot that can have a new blind errected.

If you are hunting on the Potomac River, you have to be very aware of the various wildlife refugees too. But I really would not want to be on the Potomac in a canoe or kayak. I can't paddle that well! :laughing:
Bluebill Buster
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting