ducks in northern virginia

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

ducks in northern virginia

Postby Robert » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:27 pm

Hello, my name is robert, and for some reason, I have gotten myself all excite to start duck hunting, live in clarke county in the northern tip of the state, immediatly west of loudon county. I was wondering if anyone hunts in this area, and if there is even any good duck hunting around here. I usually see a lot of geese in the ponds around here, but don't really ever remember seeing many ducks. there is a very small pond on the property I live on that I thought ducks could visit, but as I see, it is pretty well frozen right now, there is also a pretty skinny creek that runs right through along and then through this piece of property too, and I took a walk along it thismorning just to see what I could see, and I jumped one group of 6 mallards, which got me pretty excited. the creek is about 10 feet wide where I saw theme, would it be worth buying a couple of decoys and try sitting in that spot one morning to see what happens, or was this a fluke, maybe? pretty clueless about this so far, but I know that all of the ponds around must be frozen, so the ducks have to go to the creeks.
I also live fairly close to the shenandoah river, and was wondering if it would be worthwile (or even legal) to put a canoe in at a public ramp and float down for a day looking to shoot some ducks. If anyone knows anything about the shenandoah river in respects to duck hunting, or even just duck hunting in my general area, I would be greatful for some advice. Just want to know how to get started in my area (don't have the luxury of enough time to take far trips, just hope to be able to find some hunting right in my neck of the woods)
Also wondering what type of license or stamps are required for duck hunting. Have my big game license, if that helps
Robert
hunter

Re: ducks in northern virginia

Postby Kessler » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:21 pm

Robert wrote: but I know that all of the ponds around must be frozen, so the ducks have to go to the creeks.

:thumbsup:
See! your're learnin already!
As far as lic. go, a small game,a DUCKS :pissed: UNLIMITED eeerrrr I mean a state duck stamp,a fed duck stamp,a H.I.P. #.
Floating blind tags? You'll have to have someone else answer that en'
Good Luck
:thumbsup:
Keep working......................
Millions on welfare depend on you!!!!!!!!
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:45 pm

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/ Here is some reading for you while you waiting for replys . You are two stamps and one Hip away from your first duck hunt .

Floating blind tags? You'll have to have someone else answer that en'
Good Luck
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/reg ... d_laws.asp Stick with jumpshooting this year and find where the birds go .

:welcome: LD :welcome:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Patrick » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:46 am

Robert -

I have some of the "where to go" challenges here in the Fredericksburg area. I would suggest contacting your local Game Warden for some advice. I did and received some excellent pointers as to where to go and what was legal. As for your situation, if you have waterfowl in the area and everything is frozen, find running water. Thats where the ducks will be. I hunt frozen creeks with beaver dams, where the water flows over the dam is the honey hole. As for floating Virginia rivers, yes it is legal as long as you stay in the boat. If you go up on land you must have the land owners permission. Call the Game Warden for the best advice. Good luck, Steve
Patrick
Newb

Postby Robert » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:12 am

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check those links out and see what I can learn. What is a floating blind, by the way. Is a canoe or a jon boat considered a floating blind?
Robert
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:55 pm

If you add anything to the boat other then paint that will or could hide a hunter would make the thing a Floating blind . The good side of a floating blind is it has the same rights as a fixed blind and it can be moved to where the ducks are and control the spot as long as it 's on location .

If you have ponds on the farm that birds are using , I would stick with them and keep them open when the ice comes .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Robert » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:28 pm

Just tried for, and failed to gain permission from the landowner to hunt the creek where I saw those mallards (I just live in a house on the farm here, dont own the place) The land owner thinks I will kill them all and then there won't be any left, I tried to say that wasn't the case, but oh well, its not my land, and all I can do is respect their wishes. Anyways, Left the game warden a message to call me so I could get some info about float hunting the shenandoah river which is only a few minutes away, but I'm a little worried about flipping the canoe and drowning my gun (or myself, but mostly the gun, I can swim, it can't :help: ), but if the game warden tells me that there is any fashion of good hunting floatin down this river, I guess I'll give it a try. So far as I've assertained from my research, all you do is drift down along the shore line and look to jump ducks along the edges, creek mouths , and edys, then blow em out of da sky! This us how you do it isn't it, or is there something that I am missing?
Robert
Robert
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:49 am

Robert,

Let me know, Ill go with ya. I have a few dekes to bring along as well. I have been thinking about hunting the Shenendoah. I dont have a boat yet. THe thing is to plan your input and output. From what I hear they can be far apart.

Your best bet is private land, but trying to get permission is tricky. no luck here on that one yet.
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting