18 hour duck hunt

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

18 hour duck hunt

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:00 pm

Ok Some of you already know this story, and a few of the ones that know admited to it happening to them once before too. Soo it takes the perssure off. Last Monday me and surryduck, aka Matt, decided that we would put my sneak boat in my big boat and go sneaking in a creek. Well the morning started off wrong. My boat wouldnt start. But thanks to the great guys at JP marina my boat was running in a matter of minutes. Turns out that the guy that fixed it, forgot to plug some wires up. :pissed: :pissed: So after a little delay we get going. So the tide is low, and coming in. Well we get to the mouth of the creek and we are getting excited. we get the sneak boat off and hook up the trolling motor. Yes i know you cant use the motor and shoot. We used it to get in the creek a good ways. So we are going up and things are looking very ducky. We pop one corner and there were some ducks. so we started to paddle. Well we went up in the creek forever and only saw 7 ducks. Only 2 of which were mallards. so we decide that is was tim eto go, we both had things to do that afternoon. So at 1130 we turned around and put the sneak boat in the wind. Well the battery slows down. So we start to paddle again. by the time we get back to the boat it is 1254 and as we get close to the boat i noticed that the back end of it was on in the water. So we laughed about it and tried to move it. THe 20ft boat would budge. So i told Matt we could just wait it out that i must have misread the tide chat for the day. Well from 1 until 630 that night the tide continued to go out. Leaving nothing in the creek at all. We where over 800 yds from a road and 150- 200 yds to the river. Lucky for me i have the worlds greatest girlfriend she asked how far we where from a road, and she brought us dinner. THAT WAS THE LONGEST 800YD WALK EVER!!!in knee deep sludge. Well it turns out that the wind has been blowing the wrong way for a week and it blew all the water out of the creek. At 1250 that night we got the boat off the mud, and the battery was dead. So this wasnt getting any better.

After finally getting home at 130am we laughed about it. Just like we did much of the time we where out there.

Its amazing how you can learn soo much about tha hunting buddy when you a stuck with them for over 18 hours.

THis is a reminder to all duck hunter, remember to keep stuff in you boat for emergencies and check the tide before you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :toofunny:
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby chspk dux » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:09 pm

Not trying to harp, but this is just an experience thing. Don't feel to bad, we have all done it. I bet you already have a reliable marine forecast site and a tide selcection site on your list of favorites......... :thumbsup:
chspk dux
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:52 pm

Wow, I too hate to go home when I go huntin , but 18 hrs :umm: It was a LONG day afield :eek: Glad you guys made it back alright, as bad as it was, it could have been worst :mrgreen:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby surryduck » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:21 am

That was a long, fun day. Oh well. Crap happens. :thumbsup:
- Chairman, Old Dominion Chapter of Delta Waterfowl
- Committee Member & Sponsor
James River Chapter Ducks Unlimited
-Member VAWFA
- Church Decoys Pro-Staff
-Member NRA
-James River Duck Guide Service

-Oak Hills Morgan Fire (Morgan)
surryduck
hunter

Postby Big Shorty » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:07 pm

The thing that gets you is not the tide going out - it is the mud rising!!!!

And yes - it happens to EVERYONE. Although 18 hours is some sort of a record, I am sure. As long as you have no injuries, and can laugh about the whole thing, it is all good.
What corn?
Big Shorty
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:29 pm

It was de wind man de wind
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting