Timber Hunt

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Timber Hunt

Postby KAhunter » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:01 pm

hunted some timber on sat (1/14) in va and got into them good , ended up with 20 ducks; 13 mallards, 4 wood ducks, 2 black ducks, and one widgeon; along with 10 canadas... the geese worked great, amazing how geese can get into a little hole in the timber... hunted with my dad and brother and good friend,we all had a great time... going at it again on monday...
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Re: Timber Hunt

Postby Kessler » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:31 pm

KAhunter wrote:hunted some timber on sat (1/14) in va and got into them good , ended up with 20 ducks; 13 mallards, 4 wood ducks, 2 black ducks, and one widgeon; along with 10 canadas... the geese worked great, amazing how geese can get into a little hole in the timber... hunted with my dad and brother and good friend,we all had a great time... going at it again on monday...

DAMN!!!
:eek:
Where were you at, Maymont?
:toofunny:
Keep working......................
Millions on welfare depend on you!!!!!!!!
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:42 pm

isle of wight county, on a private timber hole... but what is maymont?
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby pec » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:04 pm

I think he's referring to Maymont park in Richmond.

Are you fairly close to the river in Isle of Wight? Anytime I hunt in the trees away from the river all I mainly shoot are woodies and a few mallards. If you're far from the river, do you have any suggestions as to how I can get a wider variety of birds to use my water holes?
pec
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:07 pm

its a beaver swamp, and probably the best thing u can do is widen out and clean up the holes, make them more accessable to the ducks... cut down some trees and mov e some downed ones... alos you can always get some aqautic plants and try to establish some food in and around the holes... thats all i really know to do that will really help

KAhunter
hunter

Postby pec » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:27 am

thanks ka
pec
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:46 pm

go into them again this morning(1/16), 14 ducks; 11 mallards, 2 woodies and a black; along with two geese... two great hunts!!
what a weekend

KAhunter
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting