3,800 Acre's in Chesapeake purchased by the state.

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

3,800 Acre's in Chesapeake purchased by the state.

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:24 am

Has anybody heard if this will be designated as a WMA? The location is great and friends of mine (6) filled thier SWAN permits this year in one morning in a nearby field.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/st ... 21&tref=po
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:49 am

If I'm reading it right and The Nature Conservancy is the owner there won't be any hunting there but if VDGIF has the most money in it then it will be a WMA .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:38 pm

VDGIF news release that came out today, It will be a WMA, possibly opening this spring. :cool:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/newsroom/news.asp?id=83
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NOVAggie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:47 pm

Good news!

Now how about up here in northern VA???
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:52 pm

Great news :thumbsup: . I pray that they do it like Ragged Island , we don't need anymore quota hunts .

The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Sweathog » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:40 pm

That's a nice piece of land. I Hunted that Back in the 80's and early 90's with the Cavalier Hunt Club.
Sweathog
hunter

Welcome to the site Sweathog

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:16 pm

Tell me do you think that there will be any waterfowl hunting at this place , it was said that it was wetlands that was ditch and drain for growing so I'm thinking that there is a lot of water going to be there now that it isn't going to be farmed ?

LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Sweathog » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:01 pm

There are a couple Main ditches that run through it, about 10 to 15 feet wide, but the main draw on that property is swan and geese, although if it's not maintained properly they won't show up. Farming has actually been the reason for the geese.
Sweathog
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:27 pm

:welcome: To our site sweathog, glad you stopped by to "talk some duck" :thumbsup: Like Ld said. I do hope the area will hold a few ducks& geese. Two things I realized this past season. I need to find some swamp land to hunt and a spot to shoot more geese(fields) maybe the area will be "a new spot" :thumbsup: again, hope you stick around and join in on our discussions. We have a good group of guys on here, thy know their stuff and I think we have guys from most every section of the state represented :getdown: cut
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby gthompson » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Have goose shells, will travel. Actually I work pretty close to there master chief. I'll throw a dozen in the truck. :thumbsup:
gthompson
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:58 pm

GT,
Hopefully the state will continue to work the fields and plant some crops, that's the only chance of getting geese to toll there, plus it will be good for the first day or too, then the birds will wise up quickly, never mind competing with everyone else on a WMA. But what the heck, I didn't hunt one day in a field this year, so it is better than nothing.

I'm pretty sure I know where you work, a few miles down the road to the east, lot's of antenna's???????? :smile: Anyway's we will hook up and get out there. I have layout blinds and a bunch of deke's. can't wait for September to roll around.

:salude: Mike
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting