Workin on "de boat"

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Workin on "de boat"

Postby cut_un » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:18 pm

Has anyone seen a kit that can be installed using the existing Nav. lights already on the front of the boat. Thinking about running headlights and seems to me someone told me or I've seem the light system somewhere :help:

Also, anyone have floor lighting in their boats??? Tired of using the "mini-mag light between my teeth method" :thumbsdown:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:50 pm

I don't know about a kit but running lights is no problem , all you need is some wire and a switch or two . Wait for spring and come for some fishing and I'll do it between catches :thumbsup: .

:salude: LD :salude:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:03 pm

Cut, is your boat pre wired for a trolling motor?
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:28 pm

Yea Mike J. it is. I have a foot control motor on it , don't use it hunting but it stays on the boat, plugged in.... :cool: Why do you ask?

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:34 pm

If your gonna rig some head lights up front, buy another Plug and wire the head lights to the plug! I take my trolling motor off for hunting and then plug in the lights. As far the interior lighting, I have it on my boat but the location stinks, the equipment blocks it. I have a center console so I am gonna rig a light on the rail for next year. Mike
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:42 pm

I guess I could do that. I've seen the perm mounted lights on boats and as you said, just run a wire to the plug with an in line on/off switch What kind of interior lights do you have? Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:47 pm

Cut, I have flush mounted (3 " round) located on the interior sides about 5 inches above the deck. G3 boats have panel's mounted on either side to hide the rigging, the lights are mounted onto them. Like I said they are great when I am fishing, but when I load alot of dekes and everything else, they get blocked.
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:18 pm

Cut,
FYI alot of people don't realize the requirements for nav lights when they install head lights, most head lights on duck boats, (close proximity of the running lights) washout the character of the port and starboard lights making you liable in the event of a collision or at a minimum possibly a citation for using them in the navigable waters. I recommend extending your existing Red/Green higher above the headlights to minimize this.

I personally didn't use my head lights much this year, instead I bought a rechargable spot light 2 million candle and used it when i needed it, You can see alot farther and more. Cheaper (got mine for $16) .

Legal Requirements:

Vessels are required to show the proper navigation lights from sunset to sunrise in all weather conditions, good and bad. During these times, no other lights that could be mistaken for lights specified in the Rules of the Road can be displayed, nor any lights that impair the visibility or distinctive character of navigation lights, or interfere with the keeping of a proper lookout. The Rules also state that navigation lights must be shown in conditions of reduced visibility, and may be shown at other times considered necessary.

Mike
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:54 pm

Thanks for the headsup Mike, I have and use a handheld spot light and it works great. Just thought it would be nice to have them installed and "lookin downriver" May rethink the idea!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting