still not over

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

still not over

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:45 pm

WOW for the first time ever i am taking advantage of this western zone hunting. Killed 11 today :getdown: . Looking at possibly slipping off again later this week for some more action.

Is anyone esle hunting this western season.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:52 pm

Good to hear your still banging away, :hammering: I have been looking around the eastern side of the western zone for an area to hunt. no luck yet. Good Luck next week. :thumbsup: Mike
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:29 pm

Glad you are "doing it" instead of "thinking it" :thumbsup: Keep banging away, still plenty of um around...or so I hear :mrgreen: and no better practice(for the contest) than "de real thing" :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: still not over

Postby Kessler » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:25 am

vah2ofowler22 wrote:
Is anyone esle hunting this western season.

Yep.
:thumbsup:
Keep working......................
Millions on welfare depend on you!!!!!!!!
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:30 am

Nope :thumbsdown: I hear they don't taste too good "west of 95" :laughing: :laughing:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Sweathog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:51 am

A few friends of mine and I have been working on the Snows. 90 in 2 days. There are a lot of people in Va/Nc that are eating snowgoose right now.
Sweathog
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:12 pm

Can you get about 10 of us on some of those snow geese , I have decoys and planty of shells , have gun and will hunt ?

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:28 pm

Never killed or ate snow goose :oops: :oops: Hint, hint ,hint :umm: :umm:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Sweathog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:42 pm

Do you all have a NC license? I can try to work some people in but I can't guarantee anything.
Sweathog
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:04 pm

I have an NC license and a few snow shells. I would love to hunt. What part of NC are we talking about. I have a house down there i can stay at if needed.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:06 pm

Oh i also have this weekend off from work. ANd next tuesday
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby Sweathog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:08 pm

We don't need any decoys, I have well over 1000. I just need to check with the guys I hunt with. We Hunt in North Eastern NC. Camden, and Currituck Counties.
Sweathog
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:25 pm

Was thinking about going to Maryland if I could find a spot.... I can go south just as easy :eek: Do you think you could work Featherbuster and myself in??

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:31 pm

Sweet, one of my good buddies, capt at Va beach is Rainbow(alton Whitehurst) who guides down that way. We hunted with him on New Years eve. Great guy and a awesome guide. You might know him. We saw a few snows behind the cotton gin in that field when we where on our way home that afternoon. If things work that would be awesome. Maybe we could work a swap hunt. (dove, deer, spring gobbler, waterfowl)
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby Big Shorty » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:53 am

LEWDOG wrote:Can you get about 10 of us on some of those snow geese , I have decoys and planty of shells , have gun and will hunt ?

:umm: Did you just self-invite you and 9 other folks? :eek:
What corn?
Big Shorty
hunter

Postby Sweathog » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:08 am

Alton Is a good guy. Not a bad guide either. Like I said before I have to check with the guys I hunt with. I can't promise anything. These guys are all locals whom I've known my whole life and they can be pretty particular. Big Shorty knows don't you son......
Sweathog
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:30 am

Big Shorty wrote:
LEWDOG wrote:Can you get about 10 of us on some of those snow geese , I have decoys and planty of shells , have gun and will hunt ?

:umm: Did you just self-invite you and 9 other folks? :eek:

BS the 9 others I was talking about was vah2ofowler22 , cut_un , Featherbuster and you plus a few others from this forum :smile: . But now that I know that he is talking NC hunting I am out , I'm not going to buy a out of state hunting license to hunt a bird that I may or may not get under . But to answer your question , no I was just asking if I could join him on a hunt :umm: :eek: .

The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:00 pm

Lewdog whats up with the snows your way. do you get many of them. I saw 3 today while hunting on the west zone. they are residental birds. 2 of them where blues ans one a mature snow. ANd no they werent farm geese.

Thats cool, if you can get me in great if not thats cool. I am almost positive that my season is gonna have to end soon even tho i dont want it to. 17 quail hunitng and 18 pheasant hunting old english style. Still have a few spots for anyone looking to shoot pheasants
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:51 pm

When, where, and how much for the pheasant?
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:01 pm

I see a few mixed in with the Cgeese but there is no way that I can get a shot on them and not take a out of season bird . Other then a crow or 20 my season is over for this year around here , now if you want to take me after some birds your way all I need is a day or two notice .
17 quail hunitng and 18 pheasant hunting old english style
are they birds :umm: I have never shot either one of them :cool: .

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:22 pm

Yea both are birds. The tower shoot for Pheasants is gonna run $200 but thats for 200 pheasants and a meal. Plus bird cleaning. Its a great time. II have shot in 5 or 6 tower shoots and it is a great way to enhance your shooting skills. You mean to tell me you have never shot quail???? they are a little bigger than a dove, and you hunt them with pointers. fast birds. Awesome time and fun to shoot. If we had a better quail population here i would rather do that than duck hunt. Not sure that it can beat goose hunting tho.

I am looking forward to OCT i want to chase those seas ducks again :getdown:
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:36 pm

Sorry guys its Feb 17& 18 in Murfreesboro NC. About a one hour drive from hopewell/prince george. Barely inside NC
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby Big Shorty » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:28 am

Sweathog - My shoulder still hurts. I will never shoot 3 1/2" inch shells again. My 3" reloads worked just fine, thank you. And, I think I broke my dehydrator making jerky.

Lewdog - Thanks and all, but I would rather you not imply my involvement in that sort of thing. As a rule, I do not ask people to take me hunting - it's just a thing with me. I always try to bring "smoething to the party" if I am being invited, normally returning the favor if I can via a swap hunt where I take them. It's just how I do things. As for guided hunts, I am particular about who I hunt with, and what service I utilize (as Sweathog will attest). Again, I am very particular about who I hunt with and under what conditions. So, thanks for the kind thoughts and all, but no thanks. (don't take this post wrong - It's all good :thumbsup: ...just saying how I see it)

As for quail - if you can find a good covey, it is great hunting. The real key though, is excellent dog work. I have fopund quail hunting the hardest bird hunting I have ever experienced. (Although, timberdoodles are quite the challenge as well)

I have been on tower shotos for phesant and chukar, and it is fun shooting. If you have never done it - think of a randon skeet range, only with live flying birds (pen raised of course). I always enjoyed the social aspects of the tower shoot, more than the shooting per se. It was always great to kid each other about the shooting prowess of others......until it was your turn. :laughing: Good luck guys, and I hope you have a great time.
What corn?
Big Shorty
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting