Flocking

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Flocking

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:04 am

Alright folk's, I am getting ready to Flock about 6 dozen goose heads and have seen quite a bit of info on it, was just wondering if any of you have done it yourself and if you have any Do's and Dont's? I havn't bought the materials yet, so if you have a good source let me know. Thanks Mike :salude:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:00 pm

Before you do it talk to Kessler. He did some last year!!!!
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:29 pm

I guess the flocking really makes a big difference ..when it counts :salude: But , man do you guys have to baby those things :oops: :oops:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:45 pm

I have been thinking about it for a while now, what sold me was I found a GHG floater this year on the side of the road that was flocked, I used it and didn't baby it at all, it held up pretty good and looked awesome in the spread. So here I am, gonna do the rest, 24 floaters and the rest of my field decoys. I enjoy painting the dekes in the off season, fishing season is getting ready to start, If I don't do it now, I will be doing it the week before the resident season starts. When I do it, I will take step by step pictures and post them for reference. Mike
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:55 pm

Go for it Mike, Got lucky and hunted with a few guys that had flocked head deks and they really looked great. The geese thought so too :thumbsup: . Do not know it you are field hunting or over water????? That head and mud do not mix...but good luck and as you said, enjoy the process, that's part of it too :mrgreen:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:57 pm

Heck, think I'll flock my turkey deks, gotta work :hammering: :hammering:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:02 pm

Once you go flocked, you never go back!!! I will never buy another canada goose decoy that doesnt at least have the head flocked. I am thinking about some of the fully flocked lessor for my spread this year. I am glad to hear some one found the decoy i lost. You can return it whenever you would like
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:14 pm

That same week I found Your Decoy :laughing: I came home and there was a Big Foot floater on my door step, A neighbor found it down the road and thought that It had fallen out of my boat!

Usually I'm losing them!! :oops:
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:15 pm

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup: Good one Tripp, but I do have to say, you do have a fine looking spread :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:31 pm

why thank you. I took alot of pride in my decoys this year. And next year is gonna be bigger and better. I am gonna build a diver spread this year. I am planning on building most of the spread, and then buying a few here and there to make it look real good.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:35 pm

Would one of you do a test for me , here is what I would like to see . Take two decoys out in a field or on water , one with flock on the neck and one without flock . Then climb up on the barn or up a tree and take a picture of them at 100 yards away and another at 5 yards away and post the one on here for us to guess which is which .
Anything within 100 yards would be shootable so it's only needed if it works outside of that last 100 yards .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby VARINA » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:13 am

LewDoggie,
Cut-un, VAh2ofowler & Kessler have seen my flocked head goose decoys in the fields.
50 yards - 100 yards - 150 yards
You can tell the difference between flocked & non-flocked. Guy, Please don't take me wrong.
But if someone can not tell the difference between flocked & non-flock at 150 yards. They need a See & Eye dog. :laughing:
VARINA
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:48 pm

So true. And if you really want to see a difference wait till this sept when i put a fully flocked beside one that just has a flocked head. They are starting to flock fthe heads on the GHG FB mallards. The pic on there website of it was awesome. Someone posted it in the decoy forum. It makes a huge difference.

Like i said before i dont want nothing goose in my spread that doesnt have a flocked head.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:17 pm

LD, here ya go!

70 yards

40 yards

and 5 yards

That's Tripp's on the left! :toofunny:
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:37 pm

Well, there ya go :cool: A picture IS worth a 1,000 words :salude:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Kessler » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:42 pm

vah2ofowler22 wrote:Before you do it talk to Kessler. He did some last year!!!!

I.M.O.,dont waste the money on the flocking kits.The dekes look great for about 2 weeks of hard hunting and then they badly need touching up.I can't/won't leave my decoys in my blind because of visitors,so I have to load and unload mine twice a hunting trip.If you have a trailer set up like Goosesmax,then that's a different story,the decoys aren't getting bounced around and beat up as they would be from a boat/truck ride.

Spend the money on heads/bodies that are already flocked from factory,they are much much more durable.
Keep working......................
Millions on welfare depend on you!!!!!!!!
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Here's a piece of advice. Go buy a bunch of the the cheapest woman's knee high sockings. Use them for protectors on the flocked heads. They work great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:43 pm

First I want to thank Mike J for doing the test , and yes I can see which is which , it's hard not to see the flock one . BUT. What we are talking about is how color makes a differents in getting geese to come to your spot , Right ? Well take your money and buy more decoys and fill your tank in the truck , then drive around to all the gas stations and jiffity lubes and haul there trash away . :getdown: Yes that's right , if you want to put the best color in your spread fill the feild with these :thumbsup:
I bet that your spread will do best of a dz hunters with flock decoys :yes:

:mrgreen: LD :mrgreen:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:02 pm

then drive around to all the gas stations and jiffity lubes and haul there trash away

Not me dude, I would ask them to save the bottles for me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Spend the money on heads/bodies that are already flocked from factory,they are much much more durable

You got that part right Kessler. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby Kessler » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:31 pm

goosesmacker wrote:Here's a piece of advice. Go buy a bunch of the the cheapest woman's knee high sockings. Use them for protectors on the flocked heads. They work great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I did the stocking thing Todd.

And everytime I slowly pulled the stocking off, Tripp would put dollar bills in my waders!!
:laughing:
Just funnin Tripp
Joking aside,I used mens black nylon socks,and all it did was wear the flocking off that hadn't already fallen off.
Keep working......................
Millions on welfare depend on you!!!!!!!!
Aint that right Jesse!?

VAWFA member
Kessler
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:25 pm

Everyone, thanks for the feedback, :thumbsup: I'm glad I asked!

Instead of Stocking's, what about something like the plastic shopping bags? smooth and less likley to grab the flocking and Tripp would save some money? :smile:

I too, have to move my deke's twice a hunt, I have been using a military canvas bag to stow the heads during transport, Will hold about fifty heads and still have room for extra padding on the bottom. Still no matter how careful we are, they will still get banged up :thumbsdown: .

Hey LD, I bet PRESTONE jugs would be your choice for oversize, magnums! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: By the way they do Have yellow flocking!!!! :getdown:

Thanks again everyone :thumbsup: Mike
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Why flock when you can stuff the real thing ?

LEWDOG
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:40 pm

I'm really not trying to be funny but wouldn't Velvet work and hold up a lot better ?

LEWDOG
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:04 pm

I am not sure. I think velvet might. Does anyone want to try that for us????

What type of decoys where you thinking about flocking. Goosesmacker took some replacement heads and made them work on the decoys he already had. Maybe the GHG replacement heads, cut the bottoms off, and use a sheet metal screw to to your decoy over the head. Or start slowly replacing decoys. Let me know on that, i can probally help you out pretty well. The new GHG LS goose floater is gonna be real nice this year. :salude: :salude:
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting