The impoundment at C.F. Phelps.

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Re: The impoundment at C.F. Phelps.

Postby 16gaParkerGun » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:09 pm

adustydawg:

Appreciate the invite and I do want to contribute. Unfortunately, that is the weekend that I head up to Maine. Tell you what I will do though,I will swing out that way this weekend and clean up the trash out of the blinds, and clear the growth out of the weelchair lane to the middle blind.
16gaParkerGun
hunter

Postby SLAYEROFGREEN1987 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:12 pm

I'm going to contribute when the ducks get down.... BANG BANG BANG BANG
LEGENDARY SLAYER OF GREEN
SLAYEROFGREEN1987
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:35 pm

Next time you're at **** Cross WMA. Say thank you to the Mudgun family. :yes:
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:21 pm

Lookee griggs is back
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:40 pm

OK guys, got a great idea for you. Since many of you want to do a little work to better the Pettigrew WMA how about a workday once this hunting season is over, say like mid March to mid April. I will coordinate with VDGIF for the materials and jobs that need to be done. Might get some volunteer workforce members to come over and cultivate the dove fields and any other work that requires heavy machinery. I know some of you can paint and clean signs. And I know that you can clear foot paths. And trash pickup for everyone. Might get highway dept to come pickup the trash and DEQ or wadte management to give up some trash bags.I will challenge all of those that have posted to this thread to show up and bring some org members. Might even get some non waterfowl orgs and even the fishermen to come along to help. What do you say. We are talking about 1 Sat or Sunday. And God forbid that I hear about the kids soccer. Get them out with you as well. SOOOOOOOO, who is game for a 1 day cleanup. Imaduckin I see you with your hand up as that is close to home for you. later, dawg :thumbsup: :eek: :beer: :hi:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:11 pm

you get dgif to reclaim the dove fields with some sunflowers or corn, and my job permits ill run a tractor for a day
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, ***** sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Sorry, somehow my post got cut off earlier.

ADD, the OP asked a legitimate question. It wasn't a personal challenge. Lots of people have done lots of stuff for ducks and WMA's. My post was in reference to the clubhouse that was built at **** Cross. Our field trial club donated materials, money and the labor to construct that. My grandparents and I donated money and time and labor to make that building happen. It is a multi use facility. It's nice. Don't get all foghorn leghorn on us again. Honestly, if you didn't fill Claypoo...I mean the Phelps impoundment I don't know that it would matter much either way.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Naw Muddy, just want to see if you want to help out on this project. Might need the lumber from some of the old pallets to fix a sign or trail marker. Nothing bad, just looking for your help and that is all. :thumbsup: :hi:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby tsmart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:58 am

adustydawg wrote:my org does alot of voluntyeer work at Phelps.

What org is that?
Are they a 501 (c)(3)?

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:05 am

As I've read over the many post concerning the states WMA's. Many valid points for sure. From the State budget setbacks, down sizing and the likes, seems like the WMA's are way down on the list. They,generally speaking are indeed a mess. No dought,many hr's and money has been poured into many by private groups and orgs alike.That goes without saying!

One point I'd like to make,having conversations with some in charge of our states WMA's,What I hear is an overall lack of respect "from Joe Public"for the property is a big concern they have. ManyWMA's are having there rifle/handgun ranges shot up..... Out houses are being rittled full of holes.Trash is scattered Our WMA's are in fact a mess and I certainly don't have an answer to the situation...Do know one thing, many states offer great hunting their WMA's . Places well maintained,planted and enjoyed by instate and out of state hunters alike. We,here in Va. seem to be missing the boat.....just saying
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:31 am

T S Smart, does it make any diffeence and if so why? BTW, yes we are a non profit if that has any bearing on anything. :hammer:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby Bird Junkie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:40 am

I wasted my time once before trying to help at Phelps and another org came in and secret squirreld the project so they could carry a picture book around and pat himself on the back now they need help . Best time to hunt that hole would be next week (if it had water because the rapp is full of woodducks).
Just being LUCKY!!!!!!! And hoping to be as great a dog trainer as Somebody
Bird Junkie
hunter

Postby tsmart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:52 am

adustydawg wrote:T S Smart, does it make any diffeence and if so why? BTW, yes we are a non profit if that has any bearing on anything. :hammer:

WOW.

Why yes it makes a difference.
Why? - It might be a worthy cause that others would want to join.
People are more apt to join a non-profit org, than a "for profit" org.
Is the membership role full??

Are you always a smart arse? or just when you post??

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:21 pm

tsmart wrote:Are you always a smart arse? or just when you post??

T.
some of this crowd is always defensive, must be a lot of back stabbing goes on in VA. and they're always right :no: :biggrin:
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby nvwaterfowl » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:02 pm

hey dawg, went to phelps today and it has about a foot of water in the lower end. When i got there it was around 11:30 am today.
Was late had to work this morning.
There were birds there when I came around the back side past no. 3 they left when I showed myself.
Looked like mostly teal and wood ducks, there were some others there but did not recognize some of them. There were about a dozen mallards in the same area.
Took them a few seconds to realize I was there and the same for me to see them, man they are fast when they want to leave. All told I would say there were probably about 2 to three dozen birds total.
There is not as much water in the upper end a least not that I could see with all the brush in the middle.
All the brush that was in front of no.1 has been removed. the only thing that needs taken care of is all the trees in front of
the handicap blind no. 2.and adding concealment around and on top of the blinds.
nvwaterfowl
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks nvwaterfowl, hope that you can make it on 10-22/23-11 so we can get a little more water pumped in and the blinds brushed. Should be done at the end of the day and will have 1 sunday in Nov to pump some more water. Good Lord willing we will have some more rain to help us out.

Birdjunkie, seems that you omitted a couple items. You wanted to do this project but never got started. After 18 or more months I was asked by the VDGIF biologists to rebuild the blinds and do some work up there. While at it we went ahead and finished what needed to be done. The Boyscouts put up the woodduck boxes that were donated. If you were so committed to the project why didn't you go get to work on it. Bottom line is that you like to talk about projects and that is commendable. Going out and getting the project done is even better. And some before and after photos are worth a few thousand words. You can see what has been transformed from a bunch of boards to a huntable blind. If you want to come out and help come on down. BTW, I don't hold grudges! :tongue:

TIS, glad you don't want to hunt up here, leaves more birds for us. Good luck to you this season and hope that you keep your spots hust for you. You are missing out on some great deer and turkey hunting. Some quail too. :hi:

TS Smart, I am not arrogant or a smart arse. I don't see why the tax exempt status has anything to do with it. I have other hunters, org members, non org folks, and even the fishermen that help on projects like this that benefit alot of folks. I donot push my org on them. If they ask I will tell them . If not I won't. BTW my org is Waterfowl, USA! :grooving:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby Bird Junkie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:32 am

Nevermind
Just being LUCKY!!!!!!! And hoping to be as great a dog trainer as Somebody
Bird Junkie
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:30 am

adustydawg wrote:
TS Smart, I am not arrogant or a smart arse. I don't see why the tax exempt status has anything to do with it. I have other hunters, org members, non org folks, and even the fishermen that help on projects like this that benefit alot of folks. I donot push my org on them. If they ask I will tell them . If not I won't. BTW my org is Waterfowl, USA! :grooving:

he was asking if it was 501 c3(non-profit) because wanted to know if it was a non-profit org :wink: like he said, a lot of guys want nothing to do with for-profit orgs
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:32 pm

adustydawg wrote:TIS, glad you don't want to hunt up here, leaves more birds for us.

All I've ever heard about Phelps is complaints. Granted, complaining about a public resource made accessible through very little monies per person is somewhat inherently asinine, but still.

adustydawg wrote:Good luck to you this season and hope that you keep your spots hust for you.

Well, I'm fortunate that I have that option, but I almost never hunt by myself.

adustydawg wrote:You are missing out on some great deer and turkey hunting. Some quail too. :hi:

Not missing out on anything, as I'm fortunate to have some of the best opportunities of anyone in the state. For any game animal. Very fortunate that way.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:52 am

imaduckin up north wrote:Sure VT and while im at it ill print off some new dgif bulletins off my cell phone and take my trusty old bush hog out of my truck and reclaim the overgrown dove fields.

How about something more reasonable like either joining the Friends of Phelps or if you want to be independent, contact the managers and ask what you can do to help....or keep on banging the keyboard.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:55 am

adustydawg wrote:OK guys, got a great idea for you. Since many of you want to do a little work to better the Pettigrew WMA how about a workday once this hunting season is over, say like mid March to mid April. I will coordinate with VDGIF for the materials and jobs that need to be done. Might get some volunteer workforce members to come over and cultivate the dove fields and any other work that requires heavy machinery. I know some of you can paint and clean signs. And I know that you can clear foot paths. And trash pickup for everyone. Might get highway dept to come pickup the trash and DEQ or wadte management to give up some trash bags.I will challenge all of those that have posted to this thread to show up and bring some org members. Might even get some non waterfowl orgs and even the fishermen to come along to help. What do you say. We are talking about 1 Sat or Sunday. And God forbid that I hear about the kids soccer. Get them out with you as well. SOOOOOOOO, who is game for a 1 day cleanup. Imaduckin I see you with your hand up as that is close to home for you. later, dawg :thumbsup: :eek: :beer: :hi:

Count me in.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:03 am

nvwaterfowl wrote:hey dawg, went to phelps today and it has about a foot of water in the lower end. When i got there it was around 11:30 am today.
Was late had to work this morning.
There were birds there when I came around the back side past no. 3 they left when I showed myself.
Looked like mostly teal and wood ducks, there were some others there but did not recognize some of them. There were about a dozen mallards in the same area.
Took them a few seconds to realize I was there and the same for me to see them, man they are fast when they want to leave. All told I would say there were probably about 2 to three dozen birds total.
There is not as much water in the upper end a least not that I could see with all the brush in the middle.
All the brush that was in front of no.1 has been removed. the only thing that needs taken care of is all the trees in front of
the handicap blind no. 2.and adding concealment around and on top of the blinds.

Yeah RIGHT...theres NO ducks at Phelps. We all know that. :fingerhead:

THanks for the update.

TF wants to withdraw the sarcastic remark above and just leave the thanks for the update. I'd like to keep this discussion civil.
Last edited by VaTailfeathers on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:19 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
adustydawg wrote:

he was asking if it was 501 c3(non-profit) because wanted to know if it was a non-profit org :wink: like he said, a lot of guys want nothing to do with for-profit orgs

I've been volunteering a while in this duck hunting stuff and can't recall ever any kind of for profit group showing their heads. Maybe I'm missing the definition of a for profit group. One of my orgs puts back 100% into the state,the other, something like 80% and the 20% goes to the mother ship for a little Admin and conservation work also.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:02 am

I don't want to get to far from the subject but, I was thinking that when a group of people get together with the same wants it's called a alliance . Then if the alliance write down by-laws and charge dues to join they become a org. and if they want to gain tax free / be able to write off the cost of joining and or cost of doing things they can pay to apply for 501 c3(non-profit) status. Does anyone know the status of "friends of C.F. Phelps" ?

:huh: LD :huh:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:26 am

I believe they applied for the 501 c3
VaTailfeathers
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting