The impoundment at C.F. Phelps.

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Re: The impoundment at C.F. Phelps.

Postby adustydawg » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:15 pm

Well, workday has come and gone. :bow: A special thanks to Tailfeathers and nvwaterfowl for their help. :thumbsup: Blinds are cleaned and brushed. :hammer: Impoundment has water in upper and lower ends. :eek: And thanks to all that promised to show up and help but were a no show. :no: Shows me and others about big talk and no action. :hi: Phelps is ready for the next segment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :welcome:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:33 pm

adustydawg wrote:Well, workday has come and gone. :bow: A special thanks to Tailfeathers and nvwaterfowl for their help. :thumbsup: Blinds are cleaned and brushed. :hammer: Impoundment has water in upper and lower ends. :eek: And thanks to all that promised to show up and help but were a no show. :no: Shows me and others about big talk and no action. :hi: Phelps is ready for the next segment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :welcome:

Where did you announce that there was definitely going to be a workday at a certain date and time? I saw where you alluded to being willing, but don't see anything more.

And why brush blinds after (or on?) youth day, but a full month ahead of the main season? Seems like it would just give the blinds time to get brown by the time the season rolls around.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:58 pm

TIS, had several folks volunteer by PM but were no shows. Same as usual. No kids for youth day. I was in Wisconsin on my once every 3 years vaction, a well deserved one at best. And BTW, cedars won't brown up like pines or grasses. The soil is pretty wet where the blinds are. Water not a problem this year. More rain coming Wednesday thru Friday with more in the short term future. Hope your spots are doing well. :welcome:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Maybe a formal announcement would help next time?

The cedars I use start getting thin and brown somewhere between weeks 4 and 7, depending on conditions. We've tried dipping them in wax, but it doesn't seem to help much. So what's your secret to keeping cedars thick and green for 16 weeks (or more) at a time?

My spots are all looking super-fantastic. Early indications are that this has all the signs of being an absolutely epic season.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Try cutting ends into a sharp point and push well into soil. Moisture is the key. If you read sevral posts concerning a workday I put it out that I would return on Friday and be available on Sunday. In the future I will make certain that you get a personal invite from me via a PM. Thanks for wanting to help and look forward to seeing you at the next workday!!!!!!!!!!!! :bow: :welcome:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:04 pm

Tried that, didn't work. Are you really claiming that blinds brushed in during the third week of October are expected to require no touching up, and last an entire season without getting thin and brown?

I have no interest in helping, never did. Nor did I say so. I just find it petty and childish to make a half-arsed declaration about when you *might* be doing something, and then come back a while later and get on your high horse about who did what and when. You said Saturday *OR* Sunday, which leaves people guessing right off the bat. And you never came back to clarify. Your leadership skills are rock-bottom... but then --really-- you didn't want people to help. You wanted it to work out exactly as it did so you could come here and scream about how the awesome dawg has almost single-handedly created a waterfowl utopia for all to enjoy.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Tried that, didn't work. Are you really claiming that blinds brushed in during the third week of October are expected to require no touching up, and last an entire season without getting thin and brown?

i need to get some VA cedars

I just find it petty and childish to make a half-arsed declaration about when you *might* be doing something, and then come back a while later and get on your high horse about who did what and when. You said Saturday *OR* Sunday, which leaves people guessing right off the bat. And you never came back to clarify. Your leadership skills are rock-bottom... but then --really-- you didn't want people to help. You wanted it to work out exactly as it did so you could come here and scream about how the awesome dawg has almost single-handedly created a waterfowl utopia for all to enjoy.
hope he didn't throw out a shoulder patting himself on the back
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Tracker Grizzley » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:56 am

If you have no interest in helping, never did. Nor did you say so, then why keep coming on here and talking about it. Someone must have rubbed you the wrong way and not just because he his smacking himself on the back. If your spots are super fantastic I would not worry about Phelps... :biggrin:

Tracker
Tracker Grizzley
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:14 am

Tracker Grizzley wrote:Someone must have rubbed you the wrong way

Yup.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Tracker Grizzley » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:19 am

roger that....
Tracker Grizzley
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:28 am

Blinds are brushed, water up to your knees in both sides of the impoundment. Nuff said.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:41 am

At the end of the day......... No matter who or when it work was done,we the public hunters have a spot to work a few birds. With that in mind....THANKS GUYS :beer:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:38 am

Again thanks to the guys that helped do some work. Again I do not need a pat on the back just for those folks that PM me to at least call and say that they can't help. And with all your hotspots TIS why even bother to post. Like you I have several different spots all to myself. BUT, I still believe in helping out the public land hunters. Too many peoiple can stroke these keyboards about wanting to do some work but to date that is all it has been alot of talk and no action. Did get some PMs thanking us for our work. :welcome:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby DU4ever » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Well, I will say it. Great job dog, I wish more guys would be as committed to waterfowlen as you. I am sure when you lay your head down at night the good lord watches over you. Don't listen to the haters out there.
DU4ever
hunter

Postby fleeMAN44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 am

I am new here, but had a question or two. I hiked around the river and checked out the impoundment about a month ago and also came back a few weeks later. There was a couple of inches in the impoundment after all the October rain. I spoke with two guys, I cant remember their names, who work the WMA and said there was a group that volunteered with the upkeep of blinds. Is it a DU chapter or something else? I would like to help out if you all are looking for any volunteers.

Also, will they pump from the river to fill up the impoundment before Saturday, 16 November?

Cheers,
Ryan

:beer:
fleeMAN44
Newb

Postby adustydawg2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:19 pm

The org that has been doing the work is the LOCS Chapter of Waterfowl, USA. The impoundment has some water but can use some more. Due to ny 6 day per week 9 hour workdays I cannot get up as often as I need. VDGIF has the pump and hose. They know how to use it. All it would take is for one of the employees to hook it up, fill fuel tank, and start it. Will run about 6 hours on a full tank. I will see if I can get one of the VDGIF staff or maybe one of my members to go check it out. If you walk back into the willows there is water along the old creek channel and by the handicapped blind and the lower blind. Hope the rain that is forecast over the next few days will help out. If anyone wants to help pm me and will see what we can do.

BTW, I was asked to pump only on Sundays during the bow and muzzleloader deer seasons so as not to interfere with their hunts.
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby fleeMAN44 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:39 am

Doesn't look like we are getting much rain, maybe a little snow. I sent you a PM. Thanks for the help and i look forward to meeting you.
fleeMAN44
Newb

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting