A question i just got asked today

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

A question i just got asked today

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:16 pm

Ok here it goes. If someone wanted to plan a waterfowl weekend like the DU event from the past, what would you like to see there???

I didnt make it to the DU event so i dont know what to tell them?? You guys have any suggestions.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:41 pm

take a catalog from BPS or Cabela's and open it up to the waterfowl section and you will see your answer . Catalogs are nice but one can't hold up a picture and tell if it will hold up to our kind of hunting .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:32 pm

So Lewdog,
What you are saying, decoys, blinds, boats, clothing, boots/waders, and the rest of the cotton picking stuff.

You want to put it in your hands it before you will buy it.

**** What I would like to see is, seminars on decoy placements, blind placements, duck & goose calling, just some seminars for beginners & average Joe waterfowlers. The VAWFA does have some sponsors & pro-staffers who could help out.

It would be great, if many major companies could display their products. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:01 pm

Sweet. Thanks Todd. Guys keep the info coming. I think this guy is serious about starting something. I sure would like to see it come. :salude:
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:11 am

Put what I said and what todd said together , take a dz goose decoys with flocking on the necks and let people see how they do in a muddy pond or field . A pop up blind in water with the boat full of decoys . I could type all night but I'm sure that you can see that this would help sell the good things and take out the guess work with hands on action . The DU event failed b/c of the high cost to the vendors as well the high cost to the Customers

A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Sweathog » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:35 am

LEWDOG wrote: . The DU event failed b/c of the high cost to the vendors as well the high cost to the Customers

That had a lot to do with it, and I agree that one of the biggest problems was the lack of quality merchandise. The old local shows were the best. Vendors showed up and sold their products at resonable prices. Seminars were nice because they were taught by people that actually knew what they were doing, people that grew up with hunting, not people that look at it as a sport. Times and people have changed a lot. I personally don't think we will ever see it like it was years ago.
Sweathog
hunter

Postby Big Shorty » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:53 pm

I would like to have speakers from the Game Department address management of the state's reources (fisheries, wildlife, game law enforcement). Of particular interest would be the chronological events and persons involved in setting regulations for waterfowl for each year. Also, a lecture or discussion seminar on resdient geese management for the next 10 years.

Although I will admit - those topics may be a little "dry" for the majority of the public.
What corn?
Big Shorty
hunter

Postby chspk dux » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Big Shorty..........

This is usually discussed at the public input meetings the VDGIF host every June and August. The mojority of what the state does is handed down by the federal gov and USFWS. They give a guideline and the states have to go by these and stay in the limits........This also pertains to the resident bird items.
chspk dux
hunter

Postby Big Shorty » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:51 pm

cd-

yes, I know the proces (all too well), but the public at large does not, according to "polls" and feedback from survey data. I would think that if Gary, Todd, and the gang would explain why we get 5 ducks, in lieu of 6, why we get 1 black duck, why we get 3 different "split seasons", why we get 2 blackheads in 60 vs 3 in thirty, etc -perhaps, the vocal internet contituents would be incumbered enough to speak inteliigently to the subjects. As opposed to now - where hyperbole, conjecture, and supposition rule the norm.

Imagine the knowledge that the game department officials possess that never gets to print - the logic and reasoning behind decisions........information is power, and I would like to see more sportsman incumbered with the facts. I would submit, that a well informed sportsman makes a better hunter. I suppose VAWFA could sponsor the events, considering te relationship that they have with VDGIF. I would even go so far as to offer a tie in for VAFA to propose a position on the season and regulations each year - whereby an official statement would be forwarded to VDGIF as a means of representing the mebers. Subsequently, VDGIF could "respond" to the statement, and defend the positions or offer contrary opinion, for deabte purposes as well as information gain.

Either way - the more the public knows about the law, the better we all would be as wildlife resource mangers.
What corn?
Big Shorty
hunter

Postby chspk dux » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:47 pm

Well for the last 4 seasons I have recieved the survey data as well as everyone else that attended the public input meetings. All of the items that you described can be discussed at these meetings (ie: 5 birds instead of six, counting mergansers as part of that limit, 2 blackheads in 60 days instead of 3 in 30, etc.) I do agree that a well educated outdoorsman is a better outdoorsman, but one needs to be willing to seek the resources to achieve that knowledge.

As for the VAWFA we do speak at the public input meetings, for the association and for our personal selves, and ask all members to attend these meetings, we take in our information that we attain at these meetings and discuss them at our membership meetings. Have you ever attended either of these meetings (VAWFA or VDGIF)?

As for an official statement being made.......Why talk on paper or the internet, when you can do it in public. People may say whatever they want and hide themselves behind pen and keyboard, but face to face in a crowded room you get to actually see who is just hiding or who feels strong enough about a certain subject to have it discussed publically and have done their homework to have information of how and why your idea would be better in a short term and long term situation.

If you feel that strong about some of these items have you ever written letters to the USFWS about these items and have your Atlantic Flyway Council Representative discuss your items at the Atlantic Flyway council Meetings or have you ever attended any of these meetings? There are a million ways to dicuss these items. If you would like the information on for these people I will be glad to give them to you. The VAWFA does write letters to our Atlantic Flyway Council about what we have discudssed in this thread, we also write letters to our Goose Rep and our Federal Rep, who happens to be Bob Ellis with VDGIF. For the public knowing about the process that you and I have discussed is the reason why the VAWFA was formed. We do our best to include the public by posting these meetings on all of our informative items and ask people to attend our meeting so that we may help the item be distributed to the right person at hand. Have we done our job? I feel yes, but there is always room for improvement, but one cannot do this alone and volunteers, members, and guest are welcome to help out at any time......... So please join up and attend some of these meetings so you to can help the public hunter learn the process and how they to can help. Educating the public is a great idea, but like I previously said...........You must be willing to seek the source to obtain the information.
chspk dux
hunter

Postby chspk dux » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:07 pm

Trip.........Sorry for Hijacking your thread.

I thought that DUGOF was good, but way tooo expensive, especially for an entire family to attend for the day. I also did not like the layout and thought it was way to far spread out. My thought would be tighten it up and get rid of the money hungry promoter looking to get richer off joe average duck hunter and have more items for sale. It was a great idea, but someone was looking to make money and not looking to help his fellow duck hunter.

PS......Throw some calling contests into that jewel nanny while you are at it. Not too many people knew about the dinner that was catered on Saturday evening for the exhibitors, but that was a great benefit for them and the volunteers. So be sure to keep that. You can get some killer deals after about 10-12 golden beverages and they do not want to haul all that stuff home on Sunday evening.....
chspk dux
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting