Hog Island Duck Hunt

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Hog Island Duck Hunt

Postby imheathbar » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:25 am

Just relocated from New York. I was reviewing the VA regs for this year and saw information on the Hog Island Hunt. Has anyone every hunted that hunt? Can you provide me with some insight on the hunt?

Thank You
imheathbar
hunter

Postby blindretrieve » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:53 pm

Hog Island in NC?
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Virginia

Postby imheathbar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:27 am

I found references to a State Managed Hunt for a Hog Island Wildlife area in Virginia. I believe it is southeast of Richmond. They provide the blind, the dekes, and the boat. You provide the dog, gun and 2 partners.
imheathbar
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:07 pm

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/ma ... ahunts.asp

All of the quota hunts are good if you get the chance . Hog Island hunts are great if you can get to hunt at the start of the season . The hard part is to find a place to stay the night before the hunt . B&B will be you best bet so put in for a hunt and if you get one then find a place to stay well before the hunt date .
I was in Danville 3 months ago at the railroad bridge that goes over the Dan river and saw a lot of geese and ducks , if I was you I would scout that river now and forget Hog Island . It can't be that many waterfowl hunters in Danville .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Are we talking about the hog island barrier island off VA?

Postby drbell » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:43 pm

I live on the eastern shore of virginia, and i go hunting on cobb island which is just south of hog island, and i am definitely way east of richmond, its about a 30 minute boat ride to hog island, and besides you can't hunt on the island anyway because the nature conservancy owns it, but we may be talking about a different hog island? Let me know if i am wrong.
drbell
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Dr.Bill two different Islands , the one he is asking about is on the James River next to the surry nuke plant .
If I may where do you live over there and which side , I live on the mainland side of the bay (Mathews) and sure would like to meet a hunter that is near Church Neck to Eastville .
I have always been told that hunters can float hunt all the marsh of all of the Barrier Islands .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting