VA Rookie

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

VA Rookie

Postby SMarkum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:02 am

Hello, I am new to duck hunting and never hunted VA before. I am out in the mountians and have a few local holes I plan on trying out just to stay hunting until I head to Arkanas in Jan. I have been lurking around the forum for a month or so and was wondering if anyone is hunting Rockbridge/Bath area. Any advise I can get I will take (besides give up duck hunting)
"First duck down got me hooked"
SMarkum
hunter

Re: VA Rookie

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:20 am

Check out: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/waterfowl/

Might look to see if there are any WMA's up that way. Other than that...never hunted up in that area, so good luck.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:54 am

:welcome: A few local ducks to be had.... Scouting and Understanding our VA. laws are the keys,everything else...just huntin!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Check out Lake Moomaw, Smith Moutain Lake, New, Cowpasture and Jackson river, may not be limits early season, but you would be amazed when the cold sets in. :thumbsup:

Here is a link for you to check out as well.

http://www.virginiaoutdoors.com/activities/details/Hunting/#heartofappalachia
Good luck.
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Welcome SMarkum. Never hunted ducks that way but the deer are plentiful down there in Bath Co. You should be able to find some holes and wood ducks. Like they said before once the cold sets in you may get lucky. Getting started I would tell you scout and more scouting and dont get frustrated. I have been doing it for a few years now and I have learned alot of things from older hunters or by doing it wrong then learning what works! Good luck and enjoy the ride! :thumbsup:
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Mr.Blonde wrote:Welcome SMarkum. Never hunted ducks that way but the deer are plentiful down there in Bath Co. You should be able to find some holes and wood ducks. Like they said before once the cold sets in you may get lucky. Getting started I would tell you scout and more scouting and dont get frustrated. I have been doing it for a few years now and I have learned alot of things from older hunters or by doing it wrong then learning what works! Good luck and enjoy the ride! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :grooving:
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby SMarkum » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:26 am

Thank you all for the great response and warm welcome. (I was kind of worried about getting beat up a little) Some great advise, and I know I am not suppose to mention deer hunting but I have to fill the time until Nov 17th. I have been scouting a good bit and have some potential spots, just have to wait and see if they get the activity I think they will. Thank you all again good luck in your season, I will keep any progress I make posted up here and look forward to seeing how you all are doing. ~God Bless~
SMarkum
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:28 am

:welcome: to the site and the sport. DOnt worry about getting beat up here. There is a lot of knowledge between the members in this forum, but it doesnt come without a little ribbing. All in good fun.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:49 am

SMarkum wrote:Hello, I am new to duck hunting and never hunted VA before.

If we have a season like the one last year, you'll be glad you never have! :lol3:
(Some of us are already taking knitting classes in case we do :biggrin: ).

:welcome:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr.Blonde » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 am

:lol: If we have another season like last year I may become the Virginia version of Turtle Man.........Live Action!! :grooving:
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby SMarkum » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:13 am

Thank you all again!!!
This morning was a typical rookie morning, got into my spot and set up wrong!!!
Was covered up with Woodies, but they got on me faster than I got on them. Managed to punch one.
Reseting for tomorrow and going to try again.
I can see the pleasure in the work that is put in to this and praise God for a great morning!
~God Bless~ and thanks for the tips and advise.
SMarkum
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:33 pm

The guys (and girl) on here will usually give you two weeks to delete your membership before jumping on you. They let you get hooks and then, it is game on. You will be called many many names like ducktard, come-here, prostaffer, whatever. We fight like hell to get our points across like sunday hunting or blind license vs no blind license or float blinds. but a nice group of guys with a varied amount of experience to learn. Good luck and remember, you do not have to shoot a limit to have a good time.
Welcome....ducktard, now fix your decoy spread.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:27 pm

SMarkum wrote:Thank you all again!!!
This morning was a typical rookie morning, got into my spot and set up wrong!!!
Was covered up with Woodies, but they got on me faster than I got on them. Managed to punch one.
Reseting for tomorrow and going to try again.
I can see the pleasure in the work that is put in to this and praise God for a great morning!
~God Bless~ and thanks for the tips and advise.

We've all been there you'll get it figured out. Congrats on the bird too!
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Holy cow Have Gun that is a biggas goose in your pic!

Also, some will throw rocks at you too and tell you...."There aint no ducks in Virginia". Did I get it right this time guys?
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:29 pm

gooosehunter wrote:Holy cow Have Gun that is a biggas goose in your pic!

Run 'em down with the truck. Steel just woundnt stop him. :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:49 pm

gooosehunter wrote:Holy cow Have Gun that is a biggas goose in your pic!

Also, some will throw rocks at you too and tell you...."There aint no ducks in Virginia". Did I get it right this time guys?

:thumbsup: ducktard
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby SMarkum » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 am

Never got back out! But lots of season ahead. Thanks again!
Attachments
IMG_20121004_090120.jpg
SMarkum
hunter

Postby SMarkum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:49 pm

I have not been on here since Oct of last year. Not sure anyone reads this topic or not. Catch you up to date, Last season was rough hunting, getting burnt by birds and freezing my butt off. Got a dog for Christmas last year and trained through the summer. Took her first bird in the opening WVA season with a good friend of mine. I have managed to find a lot of different holes and tactics to get it done. On the break now and going to miss the 7th, moving my daughter back to Fort Useless. I have knocked down, teal, woodies, hooded mergansers, ruddy ducks and seen mallards up high. Looking forward to this season in late December and January.
Attachments
1382100_10200512249838806_343291556_n.jpg
SMarkum
hunter

Postby dodman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:42 am

I'm straight south of you around VT. Sometimes we stop and wonder just what the h*ll we're doing duck hunting. It's the mountains for gawd's sake! But more importantly, and you may be well aware, there's one word to keep in mind up here, and it's spelled g-e-e-s-e. Big, stupid, fat, loud, tasty, resident geese!!

:grooving:
dodman
hunter

Postby SMarkum » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:57 pm

All of our geese have packed up and left this area, I thought for sure we would be buried up when they cut the corn, but NOTHING!!! I have permission to hunt some fields in the New Castle area but the guy I having watching says it has been empty for weeks. :help:
SMarkum
hunter

Postby SMarkum » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:30 am

Any Western VA guys hunting this weekend, looking for someone to hunt with, I have the decoys, dog and a couple spots to hunt. PM if you are interested in meeting.
SMarkum
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting