Your Heros in our sport???

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Your Heros in our sport???

Postby cut_un » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:33 pm

As I was sitting at the contest on Sunday listening to all that fine calling, talking to the call makers and pro staffers got me to thinking about all the folks that have given their energy and time to the sport of waterfowling. Whether it be equipment,knowledge , "a face seem by millions of folks on videos" or decoy carvers "Who would you like to rub elbows with and spend some time just getting to know him/her?
I guess for me, and it's because I like the calls so much, it would be Sean Mann...... He set the world on it's waterfowling ear, back in the day :thumbsup: But then, you will never meet a nicer fellow than Glynn Scobey. That's it Sean on one side and Mr. Scobey on the other :oops:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:14 pm

Sorry I don't belong in here but ya'll know I chime in all to often :tounge:
Cut I like this topic, I thought long and hard, my best answer would be any of the old timers from back in the day, and I mean the late 1800's to early 1900's.Anything "old school" that has anything to do with waterfowling tickles my fancy for some reason.If any of ya'll are into the past so to speak, check out books by Worth Mathewson, he has some great works, especially Old Wildfowling Tales series and Big December Canvasbacks.I would have to chose anyone from that era and time frame to go on a hunt with, I know it isn't ethical now a days but can you imagine a single guy hunting on the Mississippi shooting over 200 canvasbacks in 1 day!The thought simple amazes me and to think it used to happen all to often, a big fault for where we are at now, but man what a sight that had to have been
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:45 pm

Yea ISD, I hear ya. we have quite the waterfolwing history here on the Atlactic flyway. The days of the market gunners on the Chessie, the old gunning clubs in the sound in N.C. Those guys had it hard compaired to we we call fowling. I'm glad on some the cold days of winter, I can call it a sport instead of "a way of life" like a lot of those guys did. I guess the guides of today can feel a little of what they felt as they get up day after day. But for a weekend hunter such as myself.... It's a joy to be out there :thumbsup:
But to see the duck numbers thet did, now that wold be a sight to see :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:25 pm

Cut my sorry arse hunted about all of my 60 day season last year, and did so the prior 2 years, in that aspect of being in fowl pursuit I can understand, but my "roads in" are much easier, they didn't have no cute dikes to walk in on, no pickups to haul the gear out, and sure enough no boats with motors.Those guys are some tuff guys inside and out, thus why I would consider any of them "heros"

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:58 pm

I know ISD... and I hear ya, but do you have any "sports" that you can say you look up to in todays world. We have a few guys still living that have gave their entire lives to the sport we can call our passion..... Surely you have one guy that you would enjoy just shooting the breeze with :umm:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:29 pm

I enjoy the company of myself, of all the people in the world I could hunt with it would be to hunt with my brother again, he passed away 3 years ago, definitly the best times afield

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:57 pm

yes, ISD, I understand that. I never had a brother but my father was my best friend and hunting buddy and when he passed... it's just never been the same :thumbsdown:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting