Rappahanock River

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Rappahanock River

Postby Bluebill Buster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:53 pm

Like anyone else I am getting the itch for some cooler North winds and waves of plump ducks. In the mean time I am trying to do some research on other rivers than the Potomac, which I hunt, namely the Rappahanock.

I have read the waterfowl regs the past three years and I still truly do not know what the exact laws are for the Rapp. I know there is an area off limits near the Landsend Waterfowl Refuge, but other than that I don't know what the rules are. I also know there are certain bay, small tributaries, etc of the Rapp. you can not float hunt.

I should have prefaced this and said I am looking to float hunt. I don't have the time to invest in trying to find blind rights down there and if its anything like up on the Potomac its not worth it anyways because all the good spots are gone.

I heard second hand from someone who spoke to a GW from another area and he thought the rules had changed and some areas there was no limit on how far off shore you had to be. I am looking for areas below the Tappahonock Bridge down river to about 10 miles from the Bay. I would certainly appreciate any and all help.

Thanks guys and good luck with the Soccer field Geese this weekend!
Bluebill Buster
hunter

Postby Bluebill Buster » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:05 am

Let just let it be known I am not looking for the "X" I am only looking for info on how far from shore you have to be in a floater below the Tap Bridge going down river towards the Bay.

Thanks!
Bluebill Buster
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:08 pm

It's not that we don't want to help you out it's more that we just don't know the law of that area . Here is the people that do http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/ . Now you want blind info and that can be found here http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/re ... ndlaws.asp
It isn't much and you might have it already but it's the best I have .

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Bluebill Buster » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:34 pm

LD-

I know this is a confusing part of the law and I have already sent an email to the VDGIF. If I get anything from them I will certainly pass it on to everyone.

Life would be easy if they went by laws similar to fishing laws and above and below certain bridges, etc. But I know they love to make things interesting for us.

Just out of curiousity what do they do for the James river down closer to the coast? I haven't read up on these laws because I don't hunt that area.

Thanks as usual!

Todd
Bluebill Buster
hunter

Postby WOODROE » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:15 pm

Bluebill,

I RUN OUT OF THE WATERVIEW BOAT LAUNCH A FAIR AMOUNT, NOT SURE IF I CAN HELP YOU ON THE LAWS, BUT BE HAPPY TO CHAT ABOUT IT. PM OR EMAIL ME.

GIL
WOODROE
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:46 pm

:welcome: to the site Woodrow :thumbsup: Hope you guys can "get together and talk some duck :mrgreen:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting