Starting club in northern va area

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Starting club in northern va area

Postby Trv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Attention all who want to hunt waterfowl with no spots!
Times are tough now in the va area these days... With blind laws the way they are and wma's over populated with blood thirsty new hunters. It's harder and harder to kill fowl in this state.

So what to do?

Start a club

Looking for people who have an interest in this... At first, of course it won't be easy but through time it can grow into a duck killing operation!
I have duck hunted for 20 years and have vast knowledge of how to attract ducks in by the masses!(imagine the combined ideas of others with the same goal in mind!)
Whether it's man power or the method to the madness let's get this going now !!

Pm me if interested and we can talk

I already have a small group of hunters about ten, contact me asap to get in on this

don't miss out WE WILL BE KILLING DUCKS IN THE NEAR FUTURE
looking forward to hunting with ya!
Happy and safe hunting
Travis
Trv
hunter

Re: Starting club in northern va area

Postby Cookie the rookie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 pm

:yes: subscribing :yes:
Now getcha SHINE-BOX.......
Cookie the rookie
hunter

Postby Markd » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Hey buddy, I know a couple guys that like to kill ducks up in this area so this could work out great.

Maybe we could all get together next week for some :beer: and talk it over!!
Markd
hunter

Postby Trv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Sounds like an idea. Pm what you want to do, and we can meet up in leesburg or in tysons corner. And we can talk
Trv
hunter

Postby Trv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:48 pm

Same for cookie too man all are welcome. In duck hunting a limit of 36 beats 6 Any day
Trv
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:53 pm

There are some guys in page county that already have one going. They are the Fowl Junkies and they specialize in killing grebes. :lol: Seriously tho, good luck to you guys. :thumbsup:
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:02 pm

joining a club is like a toothache.......aint noone got time man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... STy4qVw9yQ :thumbsup:
Boy, duck hunting is for fags and pirates. And I know your no pirate
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Cookie the rookie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 pm

You set up a Facebook page yet ?
Cookie the rookie
hunter

Postby astrobud311 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:21 pm

This ones destined to get locked lol
Ryan
Waterfowl Mafia
Virginia Duck Junkies Field Staff
Virginia Beach, VA
Serving In The Greatest NAVY In The World
astrobud311
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:25 pm

try contacting these guys...they looking for a club

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... J2M-noDqMw
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:28 pm

beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Trv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:39 pm

I figures there would be people against it and people for it...im not gonna talk crap with anybody...but I will be laughing next season while I yell kill 'em muiltiple times over my flooded fields...lol

For The duck hunters serious about this... Welcome and cant wait to hunt with ya next season
Trv
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Trv wrote:I figures there would be people against it and people for it...im not gonna talk crap with anybody...but I will be laughing next season while I yell kill 'em muiltiple times over my flooded fields...lol

For The duck hunters serious about this... Welcome and cant wait to hunt with ya next season

IM IN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... P3fRMPJPdQ
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Trv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:05 pm

Facebook page is vital for a club nowadays but im not there yet.. page county and grebes??? times are tough for duck hunting if your club specialized in grebes... There are alot in chiquamuxen creek. Recoil slinger nice to have ya and welcome...im a ducktard too man..lol
Trv
hunter

Postby Cookie the rookie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Trv wrote:Facebook page is vital for a club nowadays l

You said a mouthful there Bro...... :thumbsup:
Cookie the rookie
hunter

Postby triplecurl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Trv wrote:Facebook page is vital for a club nowadays but im not there yet.. page county and grebes??? times are tough for duck hunting if your club specialized in grebes... There are alot in chiquamuxen creek. Recoil slinger nice to have ya and welcome...im a ducktard too man..lol

That was meant as a joke. Check out the thread in the Honey Hole titled "duck hunting in page county va and surrounding areas" and you'll understand. :wink:
Last night, I dreamed that I killed all the saggers, all the swaggers, and all of their duckface girlfriends...

It was called: The Yolocaust.
triplecurl
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:48 pm

I'm in. Can't wait. Haven't seen a duck all year, but I've got a place we can shoot deer.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Yea TIS needs a club that kills lots ok ducks. All he kills is singles every day
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby Trv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Possible days for meet up...
Thursday Feb 14th
Monday Feb 18th

Im free on the evening both days after 3 pm
What does everybody say???
Trv
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Trv wrote:Possible days for meet up...
Thursday Feb 14th
Monday Feb 18th

Im free on the evening both days after 3 pm
What does everybody say???

im busy on the 14th, me and my life partner are role playing that night......but im free anytime after that :wink:
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Trv » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm 25 and been hunting for 20 years. Waterfowl is my favorite. My dad use to have sationary blinds.. 1 by 1 they would get taken away by land owners riparian rights holders new company owners etc.. It didn't take long for my family to be out of duck hunting spots. I have gone to Canada 4 times and average 250-550  ducks and same in geese(Snow geese and Canadas together) each trip. We can plan to do that too if you want, that's some of the most fun I ever have had in my life up there. I part time guide with a few outfitters to be able to hunt here and there(I feel like they use me for my knowledge and calling though) but I get to hunt a little. I mess around with wma's very little and I hunt md through their public hunting program.(kinda like ft.belvoir without the $50 charge) I rarely get the good spots though... 

My plan...

Well there are a few ways of doing this... I think the club should go after all of these methods

-md public blinds
  The more people that call in when u can get blinds at 8:00am the better chance to get the few good spots... The only bad thing is that 4 hunter limit in each blind... In a perfect world with the group we are using to call in we could get more then 1 blind for that hunting day... But that's in a perfect world... This is one of the methods we would start out on.(or me and you could pursue  on the side)

-Stationary blinds
   I have been trying at this for the last 3 years and wish I was looking for the last 15..
It's gonna be hard to find 1 if not a couple spots for this. However with enough people (we can talk later about how many in the club it works in many ways blah blah blah) it can be possible.
With stationary blinds we can insure the right management and hunting oppertunities for everybody. We can always make big blinds to have alotof people go at the same time with this approach.

-blind rentals
 With a lot of people In The club comes with more resource though... So it can be good. Especially when renting blinds out on a seasonal rate. With more members more blind rentals.
They can be very disappointing though if not scouted right. And why pay for something that dosent produce right?(my old man says this way is very risky) I kinda agree...

-land owner leases
  Same thing with the # of people like above... However this is the most important!!
There are 3 things I look for in leasing a piece of property. 
*Waterfront to a main piece of water or very very close...
*Alot of birds are in the same area(how far away is the bulk flyway and sub flyways)
*landowner allows multi year contracts( or is honest enough to give you a chance to out bid the people that are jealous of your establishment )
****The most important thing I look for is if the landowner will allow flooding his cornfields. With out that it's just another expensive lease that I really don't care about unless the geese are using it by the hundreds.

-floating hunts for jumpshooting west of 95 and by boat blind east or west of 95
  This is probally what the club will start on till we get good land with corn fields to flood or stationary blinds on the rivers east of 95.
If we invest in some layout boats or try to make them(testing them safely over and over)
We can shoot a lot of divers and some puddlers but mainly bluegills and ring necks.

-small trips to Kentucky and Tennesee where there are more birds!
 Plan little trips hear and there for some shooting. It can be done at there wma's during the week... Not as many hunters out there and more space... Or curritik bay down in ne Carolina.

****************************************the most important********************************
-buying land is the most important step in this club... I know what will happen with leasing farms( somebody will always outbid with more money...) If land is bought then it ensures a future duck habitat that will provide shooting for many years to come if managed right... That's what my main goal is... And the direction the club should go.

What do ya think???
There isn't free hunting in va anymore or most of the u.s for that matter. Oh well 
Looks like us duck hunters will have to do what we do best...adjust
Travis

Sent from my iPad
Trv
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:34 am

Sounds like you have several gameplans and goals for your club. Heres a couple of things that I've learned over the years with waterfowl clubs: It will be much easier and the hunts will be more successful if you start out with a small group of waterfowlers and build the club up from there, the bigger the club, the more headaches you will run into, you will not please everyone in the club so get ready for this and practice on people skills and negotiating tactics. You might consider establishing rules or guidelines if there are spots that need rest days or rotating blinds for certain areas, since $$ will be involved in this operation make sure to set a date of when the dues are to be paid and hold people to it (I've seen money issues cause problems in a club many times), also fees for guest hunts etc. Be careful with leases, make sure EVERYTHING is straight before $$ is exchanged and if the landowner has Family that likes to hunt(you might end up taking them on certain days to get new properties). Theres alot of blinds East of I-95 and I would hunt the floater to get a feel for the area before I sunk alot of $$ into a stationary blind. It might take a couple of seasons to get the club running smoothly but it can and will happen if you stick with it, hope this helps, Good Luck! :smile:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Bird Junkie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:00 am

Trevor How much to join this club ? You are talking of buying land that is not cheap. Flooding fields is not cheap and you need a water source. Do you have fields already in mind? As for public water do you have boats and decoys for all members to use or you just want to provide spots? How do you decide who gets to hunt which days ? 10 is a lot of guys for a start up club. I have a 18' boat with fixed blind decoys and Va stationary blind site I will sell ya for $10,000 this will get you started
Just being LUCKY!!!!!!! And hoping to be as great a dog trainer as Somebody
Bird Junkie
hunter

Postby Trv » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:15 am

To a few questions asked...here are the answers...
Yes starting out with a small number is best but I want to see who is dedicated to it, yea we are talking about the idea and right now it's more to humor us...it is in the earliest stage you can possibly think of for q club.

Do I think everybody who said they want to join on this site is serious?
No, however I'm breaking the ice on this topic.

Do I think everybody who said they want to join is really ready to spend the amount of money that's going to be necessary?
No, but let's weed out the ones who won't.

I have been apart of many clubs since '05, I soaked up all available knowledge on this I could. And everyone who I talked to said pretty much the same thing.. It takes around five years for a club to really get established to the point that it's killing birds and making everybody happy with that aspect. Also on average when people started a new club the founding members in the first year spent around $5000 a man to get the operation even on it's feet. (this will scare away people on this site I'm sure) who is willing to do that??

I'll put it this way if everybody who agreed to join up really is serious about this duck club and understands the finance part of it, and can help keep a non pressured hunting environment and not afraid to get their hands dirty. It shouldn't be to much trouble..
(not that easy)

There are 6 sections you can break this up in... Making the timeline not as confusing, I'm planning to meet up with some of the people on the site to game plan more. little by little step by step it will get to where it needs to be

A lot of people think clubs just magically pop out of thin air and comes with thousands of ducks! Not that easy.. Even for people who raise their own mallards! Blah blah blah quack quack quack
Trv
hunter

Postby Bird Junkie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:24 am

I am serious about my offer? Blind is along NWR as long as there are blind laws you will never lose the spot. It's a great start.
Just being LUCKY!!!!!!! And hoping to be as great a dog trainer as Somebody
Bird Junkie
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting