VA traveling decoy?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

What species for the VA traveler? Pick your top 2

Mallard
17%
Black Duck
28%
Pintail
12%
Wigeon
8%
GW Teal
3%
Wood Duck
7%
Ringneck
8%
Canvasback
7%
Scaup
9%
Redhead
3%

Total votes : 76

Re: VA traveling decoy?

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Killed a skunk this morning. Got greedy and went to a mallard spot instead of just continuing to beat the tar out of woodies and it bit me. Had 8 mallards do it perfectly 1 minute past legal, but we couldn't shoot because of some horses on the opposite bank. Another group of 4 did it 90 seconds later, but the horses were still there. Got up to chase the horses off, and nearly got hit in the a** by a lone woody on the way back. 10 minutes later, a whole gang of golden eagles started patrolling the creek we were hunting, effectively ending all duck flights for the morning. We packed it in 30 minutes later, once it became apparent that the eagles weren't going anywhere.

However, it's almost impossibly beautiful over there, so here's some pics of the setting. It's almost too easy to bang on West by God, but there's no denying that it's insanely pretty over there-

Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Nice hunts and great pics TIS.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:25 am

Can I please use daves bluebill dec or jan...thank you
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:37 am

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:Killed a skunk this morning. Got greedy and went to a mallard spot instead of just continuing to beat the tar out of woodies and it bit me. Had 8 mallards do it perfectly 1 minute past legal, but we couldn't shoot because of some horses on the opposite bank. Another group of 4 did it 90 seconds later, but the horses were still there. Got up to chase the horses off, and nearly got hit in the a** by a lone woody on the way back. 10 minutes later, a whole gang of golden eagles started patrolling the creek we were hunting, effectively ending all duck flights for the morning. We packed it in 30 minutes later, once it became apparent that the eagles weren't going anywhere.

However, it's almost impossibly beautiful over there, so here's some pics of the setting. It's almost too easy to bang on West by God, but there's no denying that it's insanely pretty over there-

Tis that is one sexy spot you got there :grooving:
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:53 am

Decoy is on its way down to skydog, should be there tomorrow so he can use it the entire split.

Family stuff got in the way of me getting out any more, those were the only two hunts it saw across the mountain. I figured I'd get out more over the first week, but that's how life goes.

Thanks to Have Gun for making the block, can't wait to do it again. And put me on the list for the bluebill come February, might as well mix it up a little.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:49 pm

My scaup decoy is officially off the table to be used as one of the VA traveling decoys. There is just too much hatred and disgusting bickering directed towards me to trust anyone with a decoy I have made. I apologize to the ones who are true gentlemen, waterfowlers and sportsmen, but a few bad apples have spoiled the bunch.

Cheers and good luck to everyone involved. Also, please remove me from the list to participate in this function.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:54 pm

gooosehunter wrote:My scaup decoy is officially off the table to be used as one of the VA traveling decoys. There is just too much hatred and disgusting bickering directed towards me to trust anyone with a decoy I have made. I apologize to the ones who are true gentlemen, waterfowlers and sportsmen, but a few bad apples have spoiled the bunch.

Cheers and good luck to everyone involved. Also, please remove me from the list to participate in this function.

that sucks gooose I guess ill have to enter my seagull decoy.... :yes:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby fowl mouth » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:50 pm

ok so since Gooose has opted out of participating in this years traveler I thought I would throw in a coy I have. Its a dave church cork canvasback. And in honor of us being able to shoot 2 this year, why not? Let me know if you guys are cool with using this as the 2nd Virginia traveler decoy. :beer:
Attachments
photo-18.JPG
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby recoil slinger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:15 pm

fowl mouth wrote:ok so since Gooose has opted out of participating in this years traveler I thought I would throw in a coy I have. Its a dave church cork canvasback. And in honor of us being able to shoot 2 this year, why not? Let me know if you guys are cool with using this as the 2nd Virginia traveler decoy. :beer:

I'll take the can January 10th. Thanks
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:04 pm

alright guys the weekends of November 16 + 23 are still up for grabs for both coys as well as December 7. The 21st and 28th are possbile dates depending on the confederate and what he does during the christmas holiday. I will need to talk to him.

Check Page 1 for the updated list and there are other dates that the can is available as well.

Thank you to the participants so far. :clapping:
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby The Confederate » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:59 pm

I'll be around that week and can ship them whenever they need to be.
Mickey Mouse Club Prostaff
The Confederate
hunter

Postby callncut » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:13 pm

Church decoys are nice! I'm in!
callncut
Super Moderator

Postby skydog » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Well thanks to the post office mixing up my mail/packages with my neighbor last week (it just wasn't my week :no: :help: ), I didn't get my hands on the decoy until Friday night, so I only got to hunt with it Saturday morning. For those of you who read my little rant the other day, you know that hunt didn't go well. After putting a handful of birds on the ground the first two days of the season, we found ourselves with a skunk in the blind on Saturday. Apologies to HGWT for not being able to bag some birds with his decoy but many thanks to him for carving us a great looking block :thumbsup: :clapping:

For some reason the pictures from my phone are too large to post to the site now...will post as soon as I can figure out how to make them smaller
skydog
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:05 am

Damn. My confirmation says it was delivered to you on Wednesday at 12:19, and I triple-checked the address and wrote it as clearly as possible. Guess they really did **** the delivery up, that sucks.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:10 pm

TIS, no worries at all- you had all the information correct. I panicked on Thursday when I checked the confirmation # and it said it had been delivered Wednesday...I called the Post office and they told me that my regular mailman had called in sick for the week and that the replacement had screwed up some of the routes. Of course the post office told me there was nothing they could do about it...I knocked on my neighbors doors to see if they had received it- no luck. I was starting to lose hope, but when I got home Friday night, the box was sitting on my front porch. Very relieved HGWT's block didn't become a casualty of post office incompetence.
skydog
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Fowl, you have the can block? if so ill come pick it up from ya and put me down for Recoils hunt on the 1oth of Jan lol I know he does work on some can :thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:33 am

lbhansford wrote:Fowl, you have the can block? if so ill come pick it up from ya and put me down for Recoils hunt on the 1oth of Jan lol I know he does work on some can :thumbsup:

whatcha talking bout willis :fingerpt:
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:05 am

hansford picked up the can from me on friday, looking forward to seeing the pics from NODAK! :grooving:
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:22 pm

fowl mouth wrote:hansford picked up the can from me on friday, looking forward to seeing the pics from NODAK! :grooving:

can i get a confirmed date please
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:21 pm

Leaving Friday and returning the following Sunday .... Will return the can to fowl when I get back along with plus or minus a dozen number 2 pellets :lol3:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:25 pm

recoil slinger wrote:
fowl mouth wrote:hansford picked up the can from me on friday, looking forward to seeing the pics from NODAK! :grooving:

recoil refer to page 1 you are down for the weekend of Jan 11
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby recoil slinger » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:42 am

fowl mouth wrote:
recoil slinger wrote:

recoil refer to page 1 you are down for the weekend of Jan 11

10 4 :thumbsup:
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:13 pm

alright boys lets get a couple more sign ups to fill up the schedule. The can just got back from NoDak with hansford. Who wants it next? Same goes for the black.
DUCKHILL BEAU
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:36 pm

traveling Can worked its magic. Shot a ton of birds over the block but this was the one i was after!

headcount over the spread was 21, rest of the birds taken were jump shot or on the X without decoys.
Attachments
divers.jpg
spread1resized.jpg
canresized.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Postby The Confederate » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:28 pm

:thumbsup:
Mickey Mouse Club Prostaff
The Confederate
hunter