Anyone know when you can start baiting

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

Anyone know when you can start baiting

Postby drbell » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:45 am

I wanted to start baiting my pond before the season, and im not sure when a good time to start would be i don't know when they start to migrate down in virginia, if anyone knows a ball park let me know, Thanks
drbell
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:56 pm

You and I do that a little different , I feed the local birds and quite when the migration starts or 10 days before the season whichever comes first . The local birds will show the mig. birds where to go , then just shoot the drakes .

:smile: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby H20fwlkillr » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:42 am

I would be extremely careful with "baiting". The Feds seem to frown on it.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby NorthDuck » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:32 am

I would be extremely careful with "baiting". The Feds seem to frown on it.

I would second that!!

Do what ever you want. But, baiting is not my thing. :smile:
NorthDuck
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:45 am

Drbell use the word baiting but I don't beleve he has plans of shooting over it , I myself feed resident birds just like every homeowner that lives on the water around here . These local ducks and geese learn fast that they can spend the whole season up near the homes instead of out in the wilds where I want to hunt my waterfowl . Now if the feds want to make hunters go up in the creeks where these homes are to hunt , I will stop working my roost / feeding area work that I do only doing the offseason and go up a creek to a baiting area .
I would never bait a corn field , thank you very much :laughing: .

:smile: LD :smile:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Well, lot's of things run through my mind with the word "baiting", having hunted in the central part of our state for years and seen first hand what some folks will do in order to have ducks and geese using their area, either to hold the fowl in their marsh til they choose to hunt them or to have the birds stay in 'their area" away from the 'average Joe Hunter" so no one can kill thir ducks. That's "baithing as I've seen it".
The other form is "feeding" of waterfowl. it's nice to be able to watch them take off & land... and paddle around ....but are you really doing them any favors??? They stop migraging because they have plenty of food and don't really have to work for it. They will stop flying around , only to fatten up and stop using muscles needed for migration.
I realize we are losing habitat and that's a real problem but I do not believe "baiting/feeding" will help our ducks..... Just my thoughts, it's a free country and if you want to "bait your pond" Go ahead, watch or kill, it's your choice :cool:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:54 pm

Guys, I like the idea of creating and restoring habitats. However, I understand what and where Drbell and LewDog are coming from. Many people practice these actions every year.

To me, baiting for what ever purpose it serves, it’s a risky deal.

Cut_un, I have to agree with you - It’s their choice
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:01 pm

I will agree that natural food is the best bait but a cornfield isn't natural .

:laughing: LD :laughing:
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting