Va. Rail hunting???????????

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, callncut, fowl mouth

Va. Rail hunting???????????

Postby cut_un » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:10 pm

Some of us are talking about and planning to "go rail hunting" in Oct. Thinking about making the trip over to the Eastern Shore for a full day and am hoping to find someone,anyone that can fill in the blanks for me. I for one know nothing about it, so I'm in the dark, just tagging along for something new. I think the guys I will be going with know what to do but I'm hoping for some info????? Anyone ever done it :help:

Input, I need input
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

rails

Postby aarongreen123 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:24 am

I went out to ragged island this past saturday looking for teal/geese/rails. no sign of any ducks or geese, but you could hear tons of rails around. their call is impossible to mistake for anything else, and there are lots of them. the trick is getting them airborn. i had my dog with me, and we walked a couple sections of the marsh where we heard rails calling. this can be a difficult proposition. the mud is unreal, and you better not stop very long or you'll be sunk to your belt in about three seconds. i talked to Andy Linton about the rail hunting, and he said that its tough to get them airborn, and as I found out he's right. The way they hunted them in the old days was at a super high tide, when the marsh was covered in water, then all the rails are grouped together on high spots and they're easy to find/kill. not very sporting. here is a link to a pretty good description of how many do it.
http://www.chincoteaguehunt-fish.com/railhunts.htm
I wouldn't recomend this place for anything, but the rail hunting description is good.
gettin any teal? geese? i can't find nothin!
Here is a pic of the boat i built, and my current ducking buddy/student.
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_pa ... ic_id=1851
aarongreen123
hunter

Postby MIKE J. » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:38 pm

AG, The boat looks good. looks alot better in the marsh than sitting in the garage. :thumbsup:
"Kill counts are for snipers, fighter pilots and Novice duck hunters."
MIKE J.
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:01 pm

Well, finally get to see the boat I've been hearing so much about. You did a great job buddy. Know you have to be proud :salude:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:21 pm

the trick is getting them airborn
That in itself is what makes rail hunting a thinking man sport . Everyone has there own way of getting a shot on a marsh hen . That what makes the forums a great tool for hunters to use , with that here is some tricks that I use or have heard that they will work .
(1) Hunt in a pack of hunters and dogs and do a drive toward open waters .
(2) Hunt with a pointer or setter , This can be a bad idea b/c of the eyes of the dog around pointy grass .
(3) My way , hunt the marsh ditches in waders . being in the water and down below the marsh grass there is little to no noise and in the water the mud isn't hard to walk in .
(4) Two hunter with a long (50yards) rope tied around each waist so that it will drag over the tops of the marsh grass .
(5) Take two large rocks and band them together , it will make the rails to call out so you can find them .
(6) Last,
at a super high tide, when the marsh was covered in water, then all the rails are grouped together on high spots and they're easy to find/kill.
DGIF sets the season for rail doing the highest tides so the guides over on the Easter Shore can take out paying hunters . Marshes here on the bay don't flood over like they do on the ocean side of ES and for me number #3 is easier and I can do it by myself .

:thumbsup: LD :thumbsup:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:44 am

Sounds like you have been giving this rail hunting a lot of thought :eek: Sounds like a plan to me :cool:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting