fishing?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

fishing?

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:17 pm

anybody havin any luck fishing, the crappie have been active. waiting on some salty water fishing though
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Re: fishing?

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:10 am

imaduckin up north wrote:anybody havin any luck fishing, the crappie have been active. waiting on some salty water fishing though

Imaduckin',-
Grab your tackle box and gear..hurry,.. before the tide changes!

Look what the daughter caught whilst out "exploring" in the paddle boat-

(Bless her little o' heart, fishin' for Ring-Perch w/minnows)

She was a bit dissapointed to hear that she'd have to let it go as it wasn't 18" and had to explain the "whys" of it all.
THEN I had to whip out my scrap book, (that also includes a couple fishin' tickets,..you know..for an undersized fish and no throwable device :wink: )
It was better explained, and understood this way :yes:

Couldn't have been more proud to hear her to ask, "Hey Dad will you go get me some minnows?".."I want to fish while I'm out in the paddle boat"-

And to think at one point believed I really "needed" a son to carry on family, err, I mean, "Swampbilly" tradition-

Gotta' forgive me-
just a proud Dad right now wiggling around in a little glory :lol3:
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:27 am

Thank you for sharing! Nothing wrong with being a proud father. I hope my 7 year old girls does the same. She has two older brothers that are slam eat up with the outdoors. She loves duck hunting and calls swans better than I. She actually cried when I told her Sunday it was just me and her brother going out. Needless to say, she had a good time fishing.

Get your pole out. I went to the HRBT Sunday afternoon on the falling tide and picked up two nice flounder in two hours of looking for them. My ten year old caught the "big" one at 18 inches and I (well lets just say it was a keeper) caught the other one. Berkly Gulp bait. He caught his on the first cast less than two minutes after pulling up to the bridge. I had not even baited my hook yet.

Did anyone of you know the largest flounder registered for a citation last year was caught at the HRBT? It was over 13lbs. Not bad. I have yet to actually land a double digit flounder. Had one on the surface several years ago that would have been 12-14lbs. I could have reached down and grabbed it. My net was hung up on trebble hooks on a rod in the boat. That was in my flounder hole at the MMBT. Landed several citations that day, but lost the big one.

The flounder are here and this weekend should prove to be great fishing if the weather holds. SO GO WET A LINE AND GET SOME FISH.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby crumbe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:28 am

Havent been out yet...but planning on it this weekend for sure. Hopefully Sunday is a nice day and the wind lays down enough for me to get out to the HRBT in my YAK!!
crumbe
hunter

Postby tuppyus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:29 pm

we've fished (7 y/o daughter & dad) the upper potomac this weekend. Lots of boats out for bass, we were fishing for anything that would bite. Think the storm on Friday muddied up the water so was very slow, 5 sunnies and something else I didn't recognize that was small. Best fish are the ones she reels in on her barbie pole..
tuppyus
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:27 am

tuppyus wrote: Best fish are the ones she reels in on her barbie pole..

:yes: You bet! THOSE are the best :grooving:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
imaduckin up north wrote:anybody havin any luck fishing, the crappie have been active. waiting on some salty water fishing though

Imaduckin',-
Grab your tackle box and gear..hurry,.. before the tide changes!

Look what the daughter caught whilst out "exploring" in the paddle boat-

(Bless her little o' heart, fishin' for Ring-Perch w/minnows)

She was a bit dissapointed to hear that she'd have to let it go as it wasn't 18" and had to explain the "whys" of it all.
THEN I had to whip out my scrap book, (that also includes a couple fishin' tickets,..you know..for an undersized fish and no throwable device :wink: )
It was better explained, and understood this way :yes:

Couldn't have been more proud to hear her to ask, "Hey Dad will you go get me some minnows?".."I want to fish while I'm out in the paddle boat"-

And to think at one point believed I really "needed" a son to carry on family, err, I mean, "Swampbilly" tradition-

Gotta' forgive me-
just a proud Dad right now wiggling around in a little glory :lol3:
:beer:

Hey swamp, GPS cords, water temp, clarity, time of day, and tide please...... Oh wait... sorry thought i was still on tidalfish :lol3:

Thats a good sign!
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Dont forget to make threats if the info isnt provided. :lol3:
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Dont forget to make threats if the info isnt provided. :lol3:

And you know how some fellas' will point towards the Bay and say.."Caught 'em out there".."In the water" :yes: :lol3:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:29 pm

:lol3: Who, me....nah....all my fish are caught at Watts Island. I tell everyone.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:21 pm

when people ask me where i caught them i say right in the cheek! we have fun with the guys at the dock asking when we come back. i told a guy a couple years back when asked that i caught them in west point(mind you i was pulling the jon boat out the water in seaford about 30 miles away) on a pink and purple cocker knocker. He asked me where he could buy them at... i wanted to kick him jewels and say "first ones on me" soooooooo bad...

we make a contest out of who can feed someone the best ramp story.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Baker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 am

I like the "caught em up in no name creek." Anyway, here's the lower bay intel I have:
- a few flatties being caught on the seaside
- taylor blues finally het Rudee
- At least one big red caught on the shoals
- should be some flatties and/or blues in Lynnhaven, I may try them this weekend.
Baker
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:22 am

Baker you are sooooo far behind on you intel. :lol3: :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Baker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:26 am

Days, weeks, or months?
Baker
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:33 am

I catch my fish at Watts Island. :lol3: :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:50 am

Baker wrote:I like the "caught em up in no name creek." Anyway, here's the lower bay intel I have:
- a few flatties being caught on the seaside
- taylor blues finally het Rudee
- At least one big red caught on the shoals
- should be some flatties and/or blues in Lynnhaven, I may try them this weekend.

From what I have seen, they are hammering the flounder on the seaside. Sorry, ES guys, but the cat is out of the bag.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Baker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:35 am

Gooose - up north - Chinco/Wach or lower end? First hand from yesterday, it was slow on the lower end.
Baker
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:56 am

Slow everywhere at the moment with the wind and rain we've had. Cooler water too. Once the water clears up a little it will pick BACK up. Check tidalfish if you want exact locations. :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 pm

i heard they were filling boats at oyster :grooving:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:57 pm

They were. Tough to get them in rain and winds blowing. Let the water clear and its game on. Or in other words, fish Monday - Thursday because every Friday, Saturday and Sunday it is either raining, snowing, or blowing a gale.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby crumbe » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:56 am

With the tourney starting up that way going to be allot of guys fishing.

We had planned a trip for next week if the weather can clear enough to get out in the yaks...going up sometime Tue-Thur

Buddy got into a awesome bite on some slot reds yesterday...not exactly sure where though, still dont have all the intel.
crumbe
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:00 am

I figured the reds weren't far. Dogwoods are blooming. I'll post pics soon. :devil:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby crumbe » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 am

Well....anyone been out.

Fished Wach last Friday....dirty water...and we fished hard with nothing to show for it. I know some fish were caught, but I would hardly say its on fire.

I bet it starts to pick up....I know a few caught here and there.....
crumbe
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:I figured the reds weren't far. Dogwoods are blooming. I'll post pics soon. :devil:

have gun lets get up and do some fishing this saturday... im free if you are... starting to thump those jumbo croakers with them dots on dem tails.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu May 02, 2013 10:24 am

Its been started man. :yes: Ive got to work on the water this weekend.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting