fishing?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Re: fishing?

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:04 am

Percidae_Papermouth wrote:Plenty of em here in Isle of Wight... Wood ducks as well, only problem is I'm a heck of a lot better angler than duck hunter! Hahah to be honest just watching them fly past the blind is worth it for me, getting one for the table just makes it that much better, but when it comes to fishing, I despise a skunking.... I started making my own soft plastics two years ago, I add shad scent (fish emulsion) in with the plastisol before adding my color... They can't stand it!

As far as the fish goes, you can't do wrong with crappie I like mine fried with franks hot sauce and house Autry, or baked with townhouse crackers and Parmesan cheese or baked with old bay butter and a hint of lemon

Hey swamp billy your welcome to join me one weekend...

WoW thanks! That would be something there now.

Fished in Isle of Wight with a friend years ago. Have fished Western Branch, and some of the other Suffolk lakes.
Love it over there catching some big Shell Crackers when they're hittin' too :thumbsup:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby adustydawg2 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:43 am

Hey swampbilly, got 3 lakes full of specks waiting on you. Come getcha some. Fill a bucket or 2 for later this summer. Nice size and from clean water. :thumbsup: :hi: :welcome: Any Saturday will work. Give me a shout. :clapping:
adustydawg2
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:10 am

adustydawg2 wrote:Hey swampbilly, got 3 lakes full of specks waiting on you. Come getcha some. Fill a bucket or 2 for later this summer. Nice size and from clean water. :thumbsup: :hi: :welcome: Any Saturday will work. Give me a shout. :clapping:

:drool: :drool:
Dang ya'll are very kind. Glad I've got some friends who feel sorry for me :lol3: -, haven't caught a Crappie all spring :crying:
Thanks for the offer! :grooving:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lbhansford » Fri May 17, 2013 9:49 am

slayed the fishies last night. Me and a buddy took the duck boat out from 8:00 to 10:00 around york river. caught probably 50 schoolie rockfish, a bunch of american shad, some puppy drum, croakers and some dink trout. Took home 1 rockfish and tossed the rest back for another day. Go get'em. :beer:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 am

Aint no fish in VA
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon May 20, 2013 10:11 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Aint no fish in VA

i agree, next thing you know we will have comeheres trying to catch the last fish out of jetskis
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Too late for that one......
Attachments
kenny1.jpg
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon May 20, 2013 12:18 pm

slayed them again last night... been trying a bunch of new spots.. last night got into the first good flounder bite of the year. also got into a bunch of schoolies again and piles of just under puppy drum... oh and tons of baby gray trout. wish they would make a come back. heard alot of stories from the old men of PILES AND PILES of 10 to 15 lb gray trout all over the bay.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon May 20, 2013 12:26 pm

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Too late for that one......

Don't worry ever since his dad passed away, KiM Jung has been preoccupied with running his communist country instead of jetski fishing lol....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Mon May 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Nope not Jung and he lives near you.....Navy guy to add salt in the wound. :lol3: :lol3:

The 10 lb grays were not that long ago. We used to fill ice chests with them. Still can, but for one fish Im not targeting them.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:23 am

"Great day" on the river Sunday.

So glad I learned how to "lip" hold fish when I was a youngin', if not I might've lost this one-

:rolleyes:

swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue May 21, 2013 6:35 am

You must be proud of it swamp. Thats the second time Ive seen that pic this week. :lol3:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby crumbe » Tue May 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Fished Sunday afternoon for a while...

Small flounder and croaker...one decent sized blue (nothing like the one that ate my flounder!!)

I knew it...16" size limit..and I catch 15.5" fish!! Lots of 8-10" flounder to...hopefully some of the bigger fish move in soon. Ive had one good flounder bite this year..but cats out of the bag on that spot. Know of a good pup spot...I just need the weather to cooperate so we can go fish it.
crumbe
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:09 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:You must be proud of it swamp. Thats the second time Ive seen that pic this week. :lol3:

:lol3:
It's at the taxidemist as we speak :hi:
(By far, the cheapest mount I've ever had).

Going to have let the fingernails grow out a bit more for a better "grip" on future fishin' trips.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed May 22, 2013 7:06 am

You should have gone with a fiberglass mount. Its a shame to kill such a magnificent specimen.
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed May 22, 2013 9:21 am

might want to clean them nails too, :rolleyes:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:33 am

imaduckin up north wrote:might want to clean them nails too, :rolleyes:

:lol:
What's wrong with 'em? :huh:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 am

must be the polish :huh:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed May 22, 2013 10:55 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
imaduckin up north wrote:might want to clean them nails too, :rolleyes:

:lol:
What's wrong with 'em? :huh:

Some painted palm trees and glitter on them would dress them up nice. Show that trophy fish some respect there swamp. Geez
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed May 22, 2013 2:32 pm

I wish I could catch a damn fish. Bad year for me so far.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby dwbiggs » Thu May 23, 2013 8:02 pm

I got a fish story...actually my Dads fish story. He went fishing down at nags head and hooked into a 65lb Yellowfin...took him 25 minutes to bring in...he dang near gave up on it. They caught lots of Mahi and Dolphin fish as well....apparently it was a good day. As a bonus a pod of hundreds of Dolphins came by them surrounding the boat.
Bonafide member of the National Ringneck Hunters Association(NRHA)
dwbiggs
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri May 24, 2013 6:54 am

1 oyster toad, 3 rockfish, 5 puppy drum, and a couple croaks Wednesday evening.... bite slowed WAY down before the storm.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby crumbe » Fri May 24, 2013 8:32 am

good job...at least your catching...and that isnt a bad stringer.

Hate those toads though...they always seem to puke all over me.

Im hoping to make it out Monday for a little fishing up on the ES!!

Hope everyone has a good, safe weekend!!
crumbe
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 am

thanks Crumbe, Finally getting the big boat out Monday morning. going to run over to ES from Poquoson Earllllllly like 4 am ish and try for nailer drum and striper. maybe ill see you out there... where you in tidewater?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby crumbe » Fri May 24, 2013 5:59 pm

Im in suffolk....

We will be right by fisherman's island probably fishing the jetties and bridge...if the weather holds...if the wind is bad probably the concrete ships.

If your heading out to the ocean side you may see us...just look for the fools in the kayaks
crumbe
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting