3rd. Annual Virginia Waterfowling Workshop, Sept. 27-29

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

3rd. Annual Virginia Waterfowling Workshop, Sept. 27-29

Postby goosesmacker » Wed May 15, 2013 4:47 pm

This fund raising event supports the Holiday 4H and its youth educational programs. All monies collected go directly to Holiday Lake 4H. Instructors are volunteering their time and services.

The Virginia Waterfowling Workshop provides novice, intermediate and experienced hunters skills training beyond a basic education course. This year the program has been expanded and there will also be multiple evening activities including mini classes and sessions Friday and Saturday night.

The past two years the weekend workshop has been highly rated by its participants.
For more information and to register for this upcoming workshop, visit the Holiday Lake 4-H website at holidaylake4h.com.

Come join other waterfowlers for a fantastic weekend at the Holiday Lake 4-H Center near Appomattox.

If anyone has any questions feel free to contact Holiday Lake 4H.
Virginia Waterfowling Workshop, Sept. 26-28, an event worth attending.
goosesmacker
hunter

Re: 3rd. Annual Virginia Waterfowling Workshop, Sept. 27-29

Postby mayhem96 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:43 am

This would be a great place to have a calling contest :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 am

most people will not pay 130 bucks to watch a calling contest.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:57 am

gooosehunter wrote:most people will not pay 130 bucks to watch a calling contest.

Had no idea you had to pay. I'm not going...not for $130
mayhem96
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 am

I don't willingly sacrifice weekends during hunting season....paying $130 to NOT get to hunt doesn't sound fun to me.

If they did this in August or July, I might consider it, but definitely not in September.
skydog
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:03 pm

For those with interest, we will be hosting more exciting night time mini classes and sessions, this includes making decoys. At one of the night time sessions, prefab decoy kits of various types and styles of decoys will be available.

Luckily, some of the volunteering tutors will be well respected carvers from Virginia with decades of experience.

Again this year, we are planning on giving away more worthy & unique door prizes.
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:34 pm

As stated in the Outdoor Report, one of the duck blinds being used at the 3rd. annual VWW will be on display at the VA. Outdoor Sportsman Show this year. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:14 pm

goosesmacker wrote:As stated in the Outdoor Report, one of the duck blinds being used at the 3rd. annual VWW will be on display at the VA. Outdoor Sportsman Show this year. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OOppsss forgot!! At the Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show there will be raffle tickets for a blind also. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:19 pm

If you attend the Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show, be sure to
check out one of the workshop's traveling exhibits.
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:20 am

goosesmacker wrote:If you attend the Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show, be sure to
check out one of the workshop's traveling exhibits.

Hope everyone enjoyed the exhibit and show!

If you have not signed up for the workshop... please do so soon.

We want to make sure we have enough door prizes for everyone. Most door prizes are in the $20-$50 range. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby NealLauderman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:15 pm

For anyone that is on the fence about going... Last year was my first year of putting the bow/muzzleloader down and going at waterfowl fairly hardcore so I decided to give the workshop a go as I had a lot of questions and was very fresh to waterfowl... I was VERY impressed with the workshop and I learned a LOT and felt 100x better going into the season.

I took three classes:

1- Calling class... With me being a newbie I didn't know how to call and the instructor was very knowledgeable and patient while teaching us. It was nice being able to ask questions and have someone tell you what your doing wrong. Watching YouTube videos only does so much.

2- Waterfowl Laws and Identification... Yet another great class and it was put on by an actual CPO. I had tons of blind law questions and it was nice being able to ask them. When I left this class I felt like I understood all the laws and had a good idea on how to ID birds on the wing.

3- Decoy Placement... I don't know how but I lucked out big time and was the only person in my class session which was AWESOME! Kevin Dameron was the instructor and for those that don't know him... He is a stand up guy with a WEALTH of knowledge. He discussed decoy placement with geese and ducks... On the water and off! They had layouts you could try out and tons of decoys.

The best part about all these classes are that its not just instruction... It is HANDS ON! In the calling class we are using calls, in the decoy placement class we are moving decoys around, getting in the layout blinds, etc...

Outside of your main classes there were always mini courses going on where you could cut your own silhouettes, learn about decoy carving, cooking wild game, building blinds, etc...

In my opinion the course is an amazing deal and there is plenty to learn whether you are a newbie like me or a veteran. It may sound like a lot of money but they are covering your lodging, courses, door prizes, and all your meals! Not saying you should expect this but last year in the door prizes alone I won a dozen decoys, shell holder, and a blind bag.

Sorry if I am coming across as a salesman... I have absolutely no ties to the workshop other than being a happy customer who thoroughly enjoyed it last year. Sooo.... If you are on the fence about going, I hope this helps your decision.
NealLauderman
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Neil thanks for the kind words and truthful statements. This year the event was expanded. We will be able to use more parts of the lake as well more fields for decoy placements. Plans are to offer at minimum, decoy placements at five locations of the lake and five locations on land. There will be a lot more diversity of types duck & goose decoys and placements.

The same goes for the blind(s) classes as well. The wing shooting format was expanded to three different types of classes. As for night time mini classes and sessions, we will also offer more .

Door prizes, it looks like this year will excel last year’s give aways.

I will post up more later on.
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby hairyheadhammer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:04 pm

Looking forward to a great weekend of learning about waterfowl hunting and conservation and socializing with like minded folks.
"the man who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart, the man who remains so as he matures has no brain"
Winston Churchill
hairyheadhammer
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 pm

One of the night time activities scheduled for the weekend workshop will be making various types of decoys. Enclosed below is a picture of a mini class sponsored by the VAWFA held at the VHEA’s HUNTER SKILLS WEEKEND EVENT this past weekend.

goosesmacker
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 pm

Some Door Prizes have been donated and a complete list of door prizes will not available until all of the door prizes have been donated to the 4H event.

So far 35 door prizes with face values of $30 thru $70 have been donated.

I hope you can join us on September 27-29
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:16 pm

This year we are fortunate to have more territory to exhibit decoy placements. The expansion will consist of approximately of 4 acres of land and 10 acres of water. Various types of decoys, hunting methods and strategies will be presented. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby slickfly » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:29 am

Why not do this during the summer months instead of the early hunting season? I would def go, but not when I'm chasing geese and teal.
slickfly
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 am

Goose is out one day before so most are only giving up a half of day teal hunt and gaining a lot they will start using in 11 days .
This is my 3TH time going and for all you get it will be worth your time .

:thumbsup: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:44 pm

Taking it to the top fellows. The event is scheduled just two weekends away!!
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:28 pm

If you want to attend and have not registered for the workshop.......Please submit your application this weekend and call the Holiday 4H on Monday.

The workshop is going to be a lot of fun.... don't miss it!
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:02 pm

I would like to take the opportunity to thank those from the chatlines who attended the workshop supporting the 4H. The grading from participants’ surveys have been completed. A big Thank You goes to the volunteering instructors who donated their time, expertise and use of their equipment & gear.

The weekend event was informative and went well. A great time was had by instructors and participants. Participants evaluated the workshop, including the instructors, instructions, activities, mini-classes, meals, lodging, facility and overall of all.

The results of the surveys are:

Organization/ Facilities
Total program efficiently managed - Evaluations’ Grading - 100 % Very Professional
Staff members courteous & helpful - Evaluations’ Grading - 100 % Very Extremely courteous & helpful
Living accommodations acceptable - Evaluations’ Grading - 100 % Yes
Meals/Food Satisfactory - Evaluations’ Grading - 94 % Excellent – 6% Very Good
Recommendation to a friend - Evaluations’ Grading - 100 % YES

Overall grading of classes, instructions & instructors: 95% EXCELLENT - 5% VERY GOODImage
goosesmacker
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting