Waterfowl public DGIF meeting .

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Waterfowl public DGIF meeting .

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Dear migratory bird hunters,
Hope everyone is doing well. This note is to invite you to The Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries annual public meetings coming up this summer where you can provide comments on the Webless and Waterfowl hunting regulations for the upcoming 2013-2014 seasons. These meetings will be held at our VDGIF Headquarters at 4010 West Broad St., Richmond, VA 23230. The first two meetings deal with hunting regulations for webless species and for the September Canada Goose and Teal seasons. The second set of meetings are for the regular waterfowl/hunting seasons.

Monday June 24, 7:00 - 9:00 pm, Public Meeting on Early Season Migratory Game Bird Hunting Regulations
Public Meeting to discuss the Federal Frameworks and potential hunting regulations for the 2013-2014 Webless Migratory Game Bird seasons (Dove, woodcock, snipe, rail) and for the September Canada Goose and September Teal Seasons. As background information, I have attached a file that lists what the Federal Frameworks were last year, along with last year’s early season regulations in Virginia.

Tuesday July 9, Starts at 9:00 am, Board Meeting to include Early Season Migratory Game Bird Hunting Regulations
VDGIF Board Meeting (this is also a public meeting) to consider staff proposals and additional public comments, and to adopt the 2013-2014 Virginia Webless, September Canada Goose and September Teal hunting season regulations.

Second set of meetings:

Monday August 5, 7:00 - 9:00 pm, Public Meeting on Waterfowl Hunting Regulations
Public Meeting to discuss the Federal Frameworks and potential hunting regulations for the 2013-2014 Waterfowl seasons (Ducks, Geese, Swans, Brant, Coots, Gallinules and Moorhens).

Tuesday August 22, Starts at 9:00 am, Board Meeting to include Waterfowl Hunting Regulations
VDGIF Board Meeting (this is also a public meeting) to consider staff proposals and additional public comments, and to adopt the 2013-2014 Virginia Waterfowl Hunting Season regulations.

Please share this information with other hunters who may be interested in attending these meeting.
Take care and hope to see you there.

Gary Costanzo
Migratory Game Bird Scientist
VA Dept. Game & Inland Fisheries
3801 John Tyler Memorial Hwy
Charles City, VA 23030

Passing the word .

:wink: LD :beer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Re: Waterfowl public DGIF meeting .

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Wish I lived closer so I could go and argue for an earlier teal season, especially for us hills people. That needs to be the first two weeks of September. To heck with the geese, we've shot most of them out anyways.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks for passing along, Lew. I'm going to try to make it to the two evening meetings.
skydog
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:09 pm

There are 5 hunters that come out of the hills each year for their goose hunting season , maybe you should make a point to come for support for the max teal season . IMO 30 Min's. pass sunset is over rated and teal sure are fun to shoot at and taste great .
Skydog get there at 630 PM and shoot the breeze with others before the meeting .

:yes: LD :wink:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm

I heard that VDGIF would like to see their meeting room filled up on June 24th and August 5 to hear their presentations on the status of the species and commenting on the seasons. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby skydog » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:03 am

Anyone with more knowledge than me know if there's a legitimate/practical reason for our teal season being less than the 16 days recommended under the federal framework? Seems to me you could at least add the Saturday prior to the typical Monday opener and have 3 saturdays during the season. So for this year that would be Sep 14-Sep 28...you could even start as early as Sep 11 this year and be fine.
skydog
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:10 am

Thanks for posting Lew :thumbsup:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:50 pm

The big hangup for a longer teal season is the 30 min. pass sunset on goose hunting . The feds give us a 3 things for resident goose hunting , E-callers - plug-less guns - and 30 pass sunset but each year we always take the 30 and drop the other two . I would love to go with the E callers so we can enjoy a longer and earlier teal season . There is nothing worst then to have teal all over the spread at sunset only to have the geese fly to the roost 40 Min's. later.

:mad: LD :rolleyes:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Enclosed is data collected from the internet that was provided by VDGIF. The VDGIF staff makes recommendations every year.

It is up to you to provide the staff your input. IMHO being present at the meetings is not a bad idea.

Who from here is going to the meetings?
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Can't make it, but I'll give an internet high five to anyone who advocates for an earlier and longer teal season statewide. Start as early as possible, and go as long as possible.

And Sunday hunting, of course.

To he// with both the roost busters and dog runners.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Here's a first , I didn't go to the meeting tonight 1ST time in 13 years :oops: . If someone could post up what took place that would be great .

:sad: LD :fingerhead:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby skydog » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:36 am

Got stuck at work late and couldn't make it.

Would also like to hear from anyone that was there.
skydog
hunter

Postby ipittythefoo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:32 pm

It sounded like there would be the longer teal season with an increase from 4 to 6. The possession limit on everything going from two days to three.
ipittythefoo
hunter

Postby skydog » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Wow, unless you're messing with us, sounds like VDGIF is starting to listen.

This year the Feds suggested taking the teal limit to 6 in the atlantic, miss, and central flyways but I figured we had no chance of adopting that...
skydog
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Longer teal season how? And for whom? 2 days more for the eastern guys doesn't mean squat.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:11 am

ipittythefoo I take it that you was there and I like the idea of more days of hunting teal , last year the feds said we could have a longer teal season but the goose hunters wanted to have the 30 min. past sunset so the longer season didn't happen so was there talk of not doing the 30 after sunset this year ?
IMO birds learn on the first day that they have to wait for almost dark to fly shot free to the roost and the only hunters that hunt past sunset are field hunters . Where the teal have a date down in the Southern states and move through Va. during the first of Sept. and love to sit in a hole near a flock of geese or a spread of decoys as they head South during the day .
Give me more days to hunt over a bigger limit anyday .
ipittythefoo now many people was at the meeting ?

:clapping: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby ipittythefoo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:21 pm

There were eight or nine people there, plus four people with the DGIF. There was talk about trying to move the East West line to 17 but there wasn't much support for it. It would cut too much of the state out. There was one guy from Tidewater that asked for the full sixteen days.The DGIF numbers only had 750 teal killed on average. I thought I wrote down the proposed dates but can't find them now. I put the first week split of Duck season in my phone as Oct 10-14
ipittythefoo
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:17 pm

Wow, glad it doesn't sound like there was much support for the east of 17 idea...that's what NC does (for the entire teal season) and it makes no sense to me. Excludes 90% of the state.
skydog
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 pm

I would like to know the rationale of teal only east of I-95 corridor ? If the population of teal supports an early season, then open it up statewide and be done with it. Teal don't migrate down interstates, they move on weather fronts down the whole Flyway. The good thing about those little birds is that they do use the same flight paths each year, so if you have a spot that teal frequent early on, chances are, they be moving thru the same paths each year. The bad thing about teal season is dealing with all those undesirables that come into the decoys: Pintails,Baldcrowns, Shovelers, Blackducks and Gadwall. :rolleyes:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:43 pm

So is the 10-14 the for sure early season dates?
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Nope , no one will know for sure till after Aug.22ND board meeting , but the staff has always went with that Thursday to columbus Monday in the Oct. season and the boards goes with it .

:smile: LD :wink:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby dukcommander » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Ten 4 lew. Thanks. You need a college education to duck hunt nowadays
"Believe half of what you see , and none of what you hear"
dukcommander
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting