swan?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, Ichabod97, callncut

swan?

Postby skimerhorn » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm thinking of applying for a swan permit in a few weeks, has anyone else here in va done it? Do you have to have all your stamps when you apply? Also what areas if any have swan traffic? I've never killed one, just seen them a few times while hunting I thought it would be cool to give it a try if I could. Any info would be great. Thanks.
skimerhorn
hunter

Re: swan?

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:25 pm

We see a few trading back and forth along the Potomac. Most of them seem to congregate on the Maryland side of the river. Are there enough to make me get a tag...I guess not. My buddy lives in Richmond and he has 2,000 acres that he hunts (some privates fields and impoundments and some public along the river or WMAs/game lands) and they kill lots of them. 1 per person of course :biggrin:

He was telling me they duck hunted in the morning, shot some ducks, and then went back in the lodge to eat lunch. They left the duck decoys out and he looked at the impoundment and there were 200 swans sitting in their duck decoys. They hadn't filled their tags either...if only they would have stayed :eek: :eek:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:12 pm

if you dont have a definate place to hunt them then youre pretty much wasting your time and taking a permit away from someone who can hunt them. the permits are limited
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby skydog » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:29 pm

imaduckin up north wrote:if you dont have a definate place to hunt them then youre pretty much wasting your time and taking a permit away from someone who can hunt them. the permits are limited

X2 on that. At least in my experience, swans (much more so than ducks) are pretty predictable in terms of where they're going to be each year. If you have access to a spot where you see good numbers of swans each year, then put in for a permit if you want. If you typically don't see many or any swans- that probably isn't going to change- and you should let someone else have the opporunity to get a permit.
skydog
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Y'all are looking at it all wrong for the state gets 600 permits each year and between 200 and 250 of them get filled , put in for the permit and if you get it make a point to hunt in a known area that has the birds till you fill the dang thing . The biggest mistake one can make is to hunt swan while hunting other waterfowl . Target the bird and learn the flyways it use , pick a spot that will give you a clean shot and only shoot at the lips .

:smile: LD :yes:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 pm

not trying to argue lew, but whats the point in getting a permit when you have no place to targwet swans. seriously if i was lucky enough to draw a permit it wouldnt do me a bit of good due to the fact i have no place to hunt swans, so why take the opportunity from someone who does. the original poster sounded like he was just unsure of the whole thing
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:03 pm

I too are just enjoying a discussion here . Swan love large creeks and like another said they trend to stay in the same area . By putting in for a swan permit one is telling the state that the plan is to hunt and kill one bird during the season . I'm sorry but everyone can find a spot to fill the tag or at least get the chance to do so . Like I said don't hunt ducks or geese while hunting for the swan and you will find many spots that are legal to hunt that has swan . A white trash bag over 2 or 3 goose decoys will work just fine and mouth calling swan can't be any easier .

:smile: LD :wink:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby goosesmacker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:22 pm

LEWDOG wrote:I too are just enjoying a discussion here . Swan love large creeks and like another said they trend to stay in the same area . By putting in for a swan permit one is telling the state that the plan is to hunt and kill one bird during the season . I'm sorry but everyone can find a spot to fill the tag or at least get the chance to do so . Like I said don't hunt ducks or geese while hunting for the swan and you will find many spots that are legal to hunt that has swan . A white trash bag over 2 or 3 goose decoys will work just fine and mouth calling swan can't be any easier .

Put in for the permit. Swans are not that hard to find. One thing for sure you don’t need to be an expert to get them to decoy.

IMHO, use BB or BBB shells, smaller size shots are not favorable. If you are hunting on water, they are funny to watch land.

I hope you get drawn for a permit. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
goosesmacker
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:09 pm

yall win :bow:
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:59 pm

I have a place on the eastern shore I can go that gets fairly regular swans, I have just never had a permit. I guess my main question is when applying for the tag, do I need to have my stamps then or wait? The paperwork is the only thing, and was just hoping to get a lilltle input. If I didn't have a very good chance I wouldn't bother applying, I wouldn't take the chance away from some oxy and throw my money away for nothing. I'll save it for missed shots.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:59 pm

If I remember correctly... you will need your state hunting lic. # for this season, don't think they'll ask for your hip#.
Last edited by cut_un on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:16 pm

Hip number and license number is what you will need but IMO they should ask for proof of the federal stamp and make sure the hunter has the state stamp as well for I bet that there are antis' that fish and don't mind making a phone call to get hip to save a swan . Yes I agree that a hunter that puts in and gets a swan tag only to not get off the bum to go for a boat ride to scout and hunt for the bird is an anti-hunter .

LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:39 pm

We put in and get a swan tag most every year... Just a few counties we can hunt them in. We manage to get Trumpeters off and on. YES we CAN shoot them too. There WAY bigger then the tundra swans, but both eat like your hunting boots after you step in a steamy pile of wolf crap!!!! :huh: BUT we don't live in Virginia... :thumbsup:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:35 am

I agree with lewdog that if you don't even try you might as well be a anti buying up tags from other hunters, the same thing.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Well I applied for the tag, well see how lucky I am.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby kahunna » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Where I live, we hunt them in the grain fields...we have ten to fifteen percent of Virginia's wintering flock in my county...shoot only the young birds (grey colored) for eating...by the way, grain-fed young swans taste fine!
kahunna
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Just to put this out there this year we should have 5 days of swan hunting only , duck and goose will go out on Jan 25 Sat. and the last day of the month will be Friday the 31ST . I would hope that a CPO wouldn't hold a blind law on you on those days .

:hammer: LD :hammer:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Now...there's a thought!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:22 am

Last year, the AP goose season went to the end of January.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:36 am

Yep sure did and may again this year but still a good bet that someone wanting to take a swan will be out there alone . If one must worry about it the best thing to do is to locate an area with swans and that last Saturday of Jan. go out to the blinds in the area and ask for a 5 day permission slip to hunt within the 500 yards . It would be a common for the blind owner to say no knowing they won't be using the area anymore that season .

:oops: LD :smile:
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am

Yea there are a lot of people out there that don't wana share anything, even if they're not using it.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:15 am

A true statement ...indeed :thumbsup: [u]Seen it done before[/u] ....if/when you get that tag in your hand, bet someone on here would/could help ya collect the bird. Hang in there dude...half the battle is having yer name pulled out of the hat...took me 5 years before I got-er-done...just saying :wink:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:08 am

It's all good like I said, just trying to do a lil homework before hand just in case. I don't like scrambling around at the last minute. I reallyappreciate all the advice and help.
skimerhorn
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting