A question & a thought..

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

A question & a thought..

Postby cut_un » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:07 am

Seem to remember someone saying that Hog Island allowed goose hunting there in Sept. Anyone heard of or know it that's true or false :huh: Now...the thought..... Wonder if /why not. Supposed DGIF were to allow lottary draws for the conservation area at Dutch Gap in the Sept. season , heck, a resident goose hunt or combo/teal hunt maybe. More green for DGIF and yet another opportinity for us the waterfowler.... to wack a few birds. I'm sure their has to be a reason why not to do it :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: A question & a thought..

Postby Islander Gunner » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:23 pm

I believe they still do allow a resident goose and teal hunt. They allow a fixed number (I think its 30) hunters per certain days a week. Its a free for all and you bring your own decoys and blinds. We went years ago, got there before the cut off time and there were like 27 hunters total. We were told every one would hunt...then after the cut off time, a group of 5 hunters showed up late. Guess what, they (staff) did a lottery since they had "too many" hunters. I didn't get picked (of course) my Father did and they (staff) said I would have to wait at the club house. I could not even go with him without taking my gun. I told them what they did was not right and my Father gave his spot to one of those not chosen, we left and I will never forget that morning or go there again unless I am guaranteed a hunt. Look under managed hunts in the dept. website, the hunt day is Wednesday each week of resident goose season.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Seems to me it would/should be set up just as the quota hunting during duck season. If I get up that time of day, drive to the place...I wanta hunt :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:47 pm

I agree or if its a lottery it should be done before, so you don't drive somewhere only to be turned away.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Been asking/checkin around. Hog Island does offer goosin in Sept ,as stated above, they allow 30 folks to hunt on the given days. No blinds/decoys provided.
Dutch Gap "O",which to me would be a very easy offering :huh:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:16 am

IMO, if I had no where else in the state to go resident goose hunting and I was absolutely dyeing to go hunting, I might consider to go there or if I lived right down the road from there I might try it but honestly the way it is set up for geese, it takes no longer than a hunt or two and the birds get up and set out in the river or head on over to Jamestown and Williamsburg. Its just too much sky bustin and hunters setting up on top of each other to do any real productive hunts. The day we went, I had two layouts 150 silos, 3 dozen shells decoys, 2 decoy sleds; (a decent rig) and some hunters had not a decoy and were going to pass shoot the geese as they flew over(which is fine if you know the effective range of a shotgun and the distance of a goose flying at 50 miles an hour). They could do a little bit better and put it on just like the duck hunts(draw for blinds) and it would be better for all hunters.
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:10 pm

been there, done that... Just as IG said, long ways to go and not get picked.. plus usually the local skybusters are running a muck. If you have somewhere else to go, i would highly suggest it. Only 2 of the blinds are worth hunting out of anyways so even if you get picked towards the end you are kinda screwed.
lbhansford
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting