Diver/seaduck hunting?

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Diver/seaduck hunting?

Postby cut_un » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:08 am

Any of you guys into diver hunting? Hoping to do a little more shooting this I do have a few doz scoter decoys on long lines,a few doz Bluebills....what else in the way of decoys?? Will/can only hunt shallow water as I don't have a big enough boat(16' with a 25 hp) so I can't run too far out.....
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: Diver/seaduck hunting?

Postby recoil slinger » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:05 pm

joe yes. do a lot of diver and sea duck. really fun! diver duck..get deep. sea duck..go to the salt bays man. they r everywhere! like to start on sea birds in late December. paint some old mallets and gang em in lines of 12. see where the birds wanna land and work with em! really fun. hit em in the lips for sure cause they r tanks :hammer:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Tracker Grizzley » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Love those seaducks...Cut that boat will work on the right day..We are forced to pick our days due to our boat..one good thing about seaducks...they always seem to show up..bring plenty of shells and smash those cripples!!
Tracker Grizzley
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Yea...simply want to burn some powder....Only been once or twice but I do remember when the buzzed the decoys,they were fun to shoot.Ex[ecially those big drake "skunkheads" neat bird to shoot!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:18 pm

Every year about this time I say I'm going after the seaducks come winter and never get around to doing it for whatever reason . I have 100 scooter decoys and 8 longlines and a fleet of boats so if anyone wants to give it a go give me a push and the hunt will be on .
I like the idea of doing a lot of shooting but being out in the unprotected waters of the bay in the cold and windy part of the winter is a worry I'm not a big fan of . Seaduck hunting while the regular duck season is in one doesn't have to be 800 yards offshore . I bet the shooting is good on one of the many bluebird days we seem to always have waiting for that last week of duck season when some birds will come around .

:smile: LD :wink:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:29 am

never really had a problem in our 15 fter. I can recall one hunt we had some rough seas but the shooting was great. just be careful and run your boat easy. you will be fine
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:47 am

Heres a couple of tips for those ducks: get a black flag around 2 ft sq. put it on the end of a pole and flag at distant flocks of birds, start saving your wifes or girlfiends empty bleach bottles (painted black), or grab them out of peoples recycling containers, or old crab pot buoys washed up on shore(painted black) will work as extra decoys. Tie a buoy to your anchor rope so you can unhook the anchor line when ya get a cripple and not have to reset. we have found those ducks especially the surf,common and whitewing scoters feed on the sand reefs for mollusks, clams etc. Check out the sand bars and reefs for these ducks, the sudlins prefer a muddier bottom and toll better to just their own decoys rather than the skunks which wil land to any floating object. A crab net for picking up birds and you are ready to go..as mentioned please watch the weather forecast as the Bay is mighty unforgiving in the winter time. They start to show up around the first of November on the lower Bay. We have hunted them out of small 13 ft. whalers so a 16 ft boat is fine, just pick your day to hunt. Bring plenty of shells...you are going to need them! :thumbsup:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:12 am

Sounds good guys,thanks for the tips :thumbsup: ... sounds like I'd have most of the 'stuff" to get a good start. Talkin decoys.... as I said, have the 3 doz scoters on long lines, plus some blue bills... can/do you recommend MORE or somthing different??? ya think I'd get some shooting with those???? Not looking to turn this into a full time profession, just looking to go,get some shooting and have some fun....

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:49 pm

Love chasing divers (Bluebills, Ringnecks, Mergansers, and Buffleheads are what we kill the most). We kill lots of divers on the Potomac every year in January. They always present some good shooting opportunities. Can't wait for January :lol: :lol:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Not sure about the hairheads and Buffies, ringnecks and Bluebills.... that sounds good :yes: I guess, for a newcomer such as myself,one with a 16 ' mod. "V" alumn. boat...how far you need to run out to get into em...I was thinking about simply hunting the mouth of the rivers....not half way across the bay.....

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:33 pm

It would work fine. Heck we sit on the bank of the Potomac and shoot divers all day long. You shouldn't have a problem unless you are way out in the bay(s) on a windy day :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Not me friend..can't drink that much water :eek: :eek:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:46 pm

hunt the chessy in 16 fters all the time. at times 1 mile off the ocean! when the sky turns your boat should as well. :thumbsup:
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks Guys... nuff said I guess, just do it!! With the puddle duck pops these days, seem to have plenty of ammo stored up and mo time to duck hunt so figure may as well head off to where some ducks are flying or at least give me somthing to shoot at :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Willie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Islander Gunner wrote:Heres a couple of tips for those ducks: get a black flag around 2 ft sq. put it on the end of a pole and flag at distant flocks of birds, start saving your wifes or girlfiends empty bleach bottles (painted black), or grab them out of peoples recycling containers, or old crab pot buoys washed up on shore(painted black) will work as extra decoys. Tie a buoy to your anchor rope so you can unhook the anchor line when ya get a cripple and not have to reset. we have found those ducks especially the surf,common and whitewing scoters feed on the sand reefs for mollusks, clams etc. Check out the sand bars and reefs for these ducks, the sudlins prefer a muddier bottom and toll better to just their own decoys rather than the skunks which wil land to any floating object. A crab net for picking up birds and you are ready to go..as mentioned please watch the weather forecast as the Bay is mighty unforgiving in the winter time. They start to show up around the first of November on the lower Bay. We have hunted them out of small 13 ft. whalers so a 16 ft boat is fine, just pick your day to hunt. Bring plenty of shells...you are going to need them! :thumbsup:

IG knows what he's talking about. We hunt them out if a 24' pontoon boat grassed in fast grass. It's a hoot for sure. We hunt in the pamlico area of nc, and will often see other divers while sea duckin.
Willie
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Ya know, I run my boat about as crazily as any fool out there. Ask Top O VA. He's helped push it. :lol3: I run my jet in the dark through rapids and around rocks. I've got a pretty good pecker trail on the GPS and I'm pretty confident in my ability to not kill myself.

Yall really need to be careful talking about hunting the Bay or any really big water in a 16' mod V. If you grew up on the Bay or rivahs fishing and crabbing and hunting you know the water well enough to now what's trouble. For a lot of guys that spend time on inland lakes, it's not fair to tell them to hunt in a small boat like that. I've hunted with guys in big V hulls and fished the Bay in several big bay boats and it can get bad in a hurry. Also, running in big water is totally different than anchoring and trying to hunt, deploy and retrieve long lines, get ducks, dogs etc.

Can it be done? Yup. But, I would spend a lot of weekends out there when it's warm and nice before I headed out in November or later.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Good Point and well taken..... Was born way inland for sure and this ole boy does not own a pair of..... sea-legs. Me and my little boat will stay close.

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Fear the water , never , respect it everytime on , definitely . Can I suggest that y'all start off hunting open water in a buddy system with never less then two boats on the hunt . Confidence will grow but always refer back to the "Respect" line .
One mistake a lot make is hunting the edge of big waters , when the weather makes that change the edges will be worst then being in the deep . But on that same hand while on the deep always watch the shallows for white caps and don't hesitate to head in .

:wink: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Mudgun wrote:Ya know, I run my boat about as crazily as any fool out there. Ask Top O VA. He's helped push it. :lol3: I run my jet in the dark through rapids and around rocks. I've got a pretty good pecker trail on the GPS and I'm pretty confident in my ability to not kill myself.

Yall really need to be careful talking about hunting the Bay or any really big water in a 16' mod V. If you grew up on the Bay or rivahs fishing and crabbing and hunting you know the water well enough to now what's trouble. For a lot of guys that spend time on inland lakes, it's not fair to tell them to hunt in a small boat like that. I've hunted with guys in big V hulls and fished the Bay in several big bay boats and it can get bad in a hurry. Also, running in big water is totally different than anchoring and trying to hunt, deploy and retrieve long lines, get ducks, dogs etc.

Can it be done? Yup. But, I would spend a lot of weekends out there when it's warm and nice before I headed out in November or later.

Mud I agree 100%. What tracker failed to say is that my 22ft mako is typically on the other side of the spread. Some days it is calm enough I'd go at it alone with a 16ft, but if someone doesnt know the area or weather patterns I wouldnt advise it.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:51 am

adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:13 am

And of course, youu have to have a good Scoooter recipe. So, go Mexican!

Pick up a pack of Fajita mix and follow the directions (I use olive oil). Slice breasts thin across the grain and marinade overnight. Drain most of the liquid and saute meat. Remove, dice up some peppers and onions, saute them, add meat back in pan and cook until they are to your liking. Wrap in large flour tortilla with refried beans and mexican rice and your favorite beverage. I've even been able to use this simple recipe on late season turd eating mallards and puddle ducks too (beware anything with the term "puddle" in it). Seaducks are perhaps the cleanest of all ducks. They eat mostly oysters and clams. When you clean one, they smell fresh. Puddle (again, there's that word!) ducks generally smell like old socks. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:And of course, youu have to have a good Scoooter recipe. So, go Mexican!

Pick up a pack of Fajita mix and follow the directions (I use olive oil). Slice breasts thin across the grain and marinade overnight. Drain most of the liquid and saute meat. Remove, dice up some peppers and onions, saute them, add meat back in pan and cook until they are to your liking. Wrap in large flour tortilla with refried beans and mexican rice and your favorite beverage. I've even been able to use this simple recipe on late season turd eating mallards and puddle ducks too (beware anything with the term "puddle" in it). Seaducks are perhaps the cleanest of all ducks. They eat mostly oysters and clams. When you clean one, they smell fresh. Puddle (again, there's that word!) ducks generally smell like old socks. :lol3:
Or just give them to Mexicans
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:09 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
Dingbatter 2 wrote:And of course, youu have to have a good Scoooter recipe. So, go Mexican!

Or just give them to Mexicans

Truth, but not why yo posted.

I have eaten some crazy things down here and it tasted great. If Mexicans can make crickets, grubs, ants, cow tongue, goat stomach, etc. taste good, pretty sure they can make sea ducks taste good.
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting