goose patterns

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

goose patterns

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Anybody noticed any geese flying over regularly yet? Only a little over a month and a half away now til we can start blasting!
skimerhorn
hunter

Re: goose patterns

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Haven't seen many flying around the house but they don't usually use these fields early in the season. However, they have been gobs of them on the lakes...I'm talking about hundreds of them. They were lots of goslings this year, so it should be good.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Agreed, not seeing too many "in the air" but anything holding water has geese on it...big-uns & little-uns :yes: Also, this year should make for an interesting regular season cause Va. has corn for as far as the eye can see......And it's all growing too :bow:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Agreed. Hopefully the rain will ease up by then so we can have the fields dry enough to cut by time the season starts
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:18 pm

It will all come down to three things: if my farmer cuts the corn at the right time, if the weather cooperates, and if I can learn how to shoot :lol3: :lol3:

Things are looking good!

Do you guys think this wet weather will help the waterfowl hunting this year? My take on this is, there will obviously be more water. More water means more spots which means the ducks won't be congregated in one spot as much. Maybe, just maybe, they will decide to call my spots "home" :grooving: :grooving:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Yea,what he said :yes: Unless you find someone cutting corn for the dove hunters :thumbsup: most corn will be cut too late for early season.... I'm thinking grass/last cut hay..... with a sprinkling of farm pond :hammer: :hammer:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Might possibly use the wet fields to my advantage. Since everything is behind maybe the beans won't be quite so tall, and could use some bean fields? They like tender beans I know. I've never tried that.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm

My thought on beans (and I am tying this in with deer hunting): in NC/VA it doesn't get real, real cold. The deer really don't start pounding the beans until it gets really cold and then they hit them because those beans give them starch/sugar. Maybe the same thing with geese? I know up north, bean fields get a lot of geese but IMHO if geese have to chose over corn/wheat or beans, they will go with the corn/wheat most of the time IMHO :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 pm

I agree with that totally I also agree with cut_un that most corn won't be cut in time for the early season. That's why I was hoping to take advanatage of low late beans because the majority of corn won't be cut then. Just wondering if anyone had a opionion on hunting over beans.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:55 pm

You are not seeing many geese flying cause they are coming out of the molt. Should be another couple weeks and they'll be on the wing again. Seems that right around this time, they form big flocks on the open water, waiting to get feathered out and all the youngsters in line before the flights start. Any pond with grass near it will be a hotspot in the early season. :thumbsup:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:42 pm

I love hunting over beans..after they are cut and the leftovers are left everywhere :hammer: :hammer:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby crumbe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:13 am

Did see the first of this years crops coming into a pond...heard high pictched almost honk (like a jake trying to gobble..almost but not quite there yet..lol), turned around and a bunch of funny looking, skinny long necks were coming into the pond.

One of the farms I can hunt, the farmer told me they would start getting the corn out in August...not sure how much its going to help me though...we will see, but not allot of early season geese around that area from what I can tell so far.

All of the wheat around here is coming out now...stopped by another farmers farm Friday and he was finishing his last wheat field and getting ready to start drilling some beans.
crumbe
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:53 am

The farmers around me haven't even started picking the wheat yet. I'm hoping they will wait until mid August because then we can dove hunt :grooving:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby kahunna » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:18 am

Island Gunner has it right...no flights now cause of the molt in June.
kahunna
hunter

Postby Goosebuster72 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:22 am

Yep nothin really flying yet around here.. But plenty of resident geese on the water around here.. I just hope the corn and wheat will be cut for early season
Goosebuster72
hunter

Postby kahunna » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Residents just starting to fly after molting in my area... heard a flock somewhere over the creek last evening while cooking chicken on the grill. Saw the first flock of fifty in a cut wheat field this am (field adjoins the creek). Had not seen seen any flying for three to four weeks now.
kahunna
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:36 pm

got em in the fields here.corn every where...carnage to follow :lol:
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Birds were still in the molt stage as of Saturday down here on the NC/VA border. With you guys up north saying they are coming out of it, it should only be a matter of days before they start hitting the cut wheat/bean/corn fields :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby skimerhorn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Saw 2 different flocks yesterday in 2 seperate bean fields eating dinner. Hopefully ill be seeing a lot more of that soon.
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:16 am

Had 7 in the pond this morning...all banded. :rolleyes:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:18 am

Was down on Pamunkey river scouting and did not see any geese? Anybody seeing any around west point?
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:23 am

Been seeing a couple hundred each morning over my house.. There is a few ponds and a swamp behind my house I live between the blackwater and nottoway river... Usually 4 waves of 30-50 geese each morning.
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:42 am

Percidae_Papermouth wrote:Been seeing a couple hundred each morning over my house.. There is a few ponds and a swamp behind my house I live between the blackwater and nottoway river... Usually 4 waves of 30-50 geese each morning.

caught alot of nice largemouth where those two meet at the stateline. bet that is some prime woodie habitat.

been seeing alot all around my neck of the woods but they are staying on private property or at municipal land like soccer fields and neighborhood ponds.. VV t F
lbhansford
hunter

Postby bcduck » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:15 am

Last week saw them piling into a cut barley field that has about 6" beans growing as of now, so hopefully the beans don't get too tall for the geese. West of Richmond...
bcduck
hunter

Postby kahunna » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Residents been bunching up into larger groups for the last couple of weeks...ponds holding twice as many geese as in July. It is a little early for this to be going on (usually happens around here the end of this month...probably too many guys creeping around with DC face paint on!
kahunna
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting