goose patterns

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Re: goose patterns

Postby rlh01 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:53 am

I had to deliver some oysters to the Lockley Creek area and I was amazed as I drove from route 3 to my Locklies creek destination. There were geese on every lawns. They were just strolling back and forth across the road. They seemed to be unimpressed with my truck as I had to brake several times to let them get across the road. Too bad the area is not rural but it was surprising to see the geese so completely relaxed. I guess the area must have be all second homes as I didn't see any dogs. I find it interesting to see the increase in non-migratory geese accomodating themselves to rural clusters of homes. I also hunt the Eastern Shore in some excellent fields. The migratory geese hold on the Wye and Miles river every night and then many move to fields very close to established housing areas. They see to realize that they are safe next to a cluster of homes versus the many open fields.
rlh01
hunter

Postby infantry86 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:43 am

rlh01 wrote: They seemed to be unimpressed with my truck as I had to brake several times to let them get across the road.

That's your problem, you gotta MAKE them be impressed with the truck. Respect.
Just lookin for the ducks...
infantry86
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 am

ya let them walk in front of me, when the ones in central park see me comin they move real fast
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:04 am

I always laugh at the Geese at Central Park when I visit family in Fredericksburg. They just roll out into traffic without a care in the world. I have seen accidents due to people slamming on the brakes to avoid hitting them. I wish they would walk out in front of me so I can "accidently" hit them and call it city lunch!! :grooving:

imaduckin up north wrote:ya let them walk in front of me, when the ones in central park see me comin they move real fast
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:49 am

found the goose roost this weekend. clear to hunt and found the area littered with goose droppings.. ALOT as in thoroughly covered. I saw 4 flocks totaling about 200 geese leave there hour after first light. since most geese in my neck of the woods strictly fly in to commercial and residental areas its a shoot them on the way going or coming kinda thing. plus its resident season so game on half hour late. Getting a real itchy trigger finger... cannot wait until the 1st
lbhansford
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting