Hunting "standing timber"

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Hunting "standing timber"

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:08 am

Have an opportinity to hunt some of the thick stuff "all season" this year. have, in the past done a bit of swamp hunting for woodies and teal but never mallards in the regular season.
Any of you guys hunt timber??? I'm thinking about strapping one of my tree stand platforms to a tree within the swamp.... will be able to move around if needed, sit comfortably for a few hours and also be able slash my feet around when ducks are moving...... How about decoys...I'm think only a few( woodie,teal and a mallard or two) and alot of slashing! What do you guys that hunt the thick stuff do??
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: Hunting "standing timber"

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48 am

Great on windy days! :thumbsup:
I take 9 decoys that's it.

Set the dog up on a stand and stand in the water.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby crumbe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:50 am

The only timber I have had are creek bottom/beaver ponds...To me it really depends on what you think the ducks are going to do. If they want to be where you are, I think a few will work..but if not maybe more.

For us they were coming out of a pond and flying the creek bottom....we only hunted it once last year and only took about a half dozen decoys with us.

This year if we hunt it we will have more. Going to make them want to come in (at least try). Probably more decoys and possibly a mojo or two.

Last year by the time we saw the ducks they were moving by pretty fast and a few decoys wasnt enough to make them want to be there. We did manage one green head, and saw a few more pairs. Had some woodies fly in and land close enough to hear them but that was about it.

To me Cut...its just like goose hunting...if your on the X you probably dont need anything..if not, you better have something to make them want to be there...unless you just plan on pass shooting. Also....the X in a big swamp can be a pretty big X
crumbe
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:39 am

Yea, will be a learning year....I picked up this lease for anyother group, the landowner told me where they used to set up and that they killed alot of ducks( talk is cheap)...as I said, with the leaves on the trees now...would be tight shooting now but it will open up alot in the fall..... This can.hope too be a multi year lease and the lanowner told me to bring the chainsaw in Jan. he'd help me open it up a bit,plus, if... next summer is like most, will do some planting during the summer draw down.

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:46 am

Joe, get you an Avery MarshSeat and stick that sucker up next to a tree. I generally keep some hooks in a tree to hold my blind bags, gun cases, and/or game strap(s). I never run more than a dozen and a half decoys in the timber. Most of the time it is some Wood Duck decoys, Teal decoys, and some Mallards on a jerk string. I think a jerk string is one of the best things you can use in the timber. I generally only run 2 or 3 big Mallard decoys on it and it works wonders on ducks...especially if they are high flying ducks. They hear the water splashing and come down for a closer look.

Ya know...if ya need someone to help ya out... :hi: :hi:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:56 am

You know you'll be thre bro! Planning on some form of a seat,plus the tree hooks & a wading stick! I want to remain moble this year, was also thinking about a jerk string as opposed to my mojo. I have a buffie on a sting, like the "high-vis" white of the decoy in open marsh water but.....I'm thinking a mallard green head would stand out pretty good in the timber... :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby skydog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Hey cut, hunted timber almost exclusively last year, and I would definitely agree that the jerk string works but I wouldn't count out the mojo either...I was never a big mojo believer beforehand but the few times folks brought them in last year, I was amazed at the birds it could get to cup up, even late in the season.
skydog
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Yea, I have a hen mallard and also the drake ,the drake has a remote,which I like! I will probable give that a try as well. As I said...I'm an open marsh water,most of my ducking time has been out of my floater seeing opn sky...not peeking thru tree limbs! Thanks for the suggestion!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Yep, MarshSeat and a wading stick/decoy retriever should always be with you. Ya never know where a stump might be. I also have 2 MOJO's--1 Mallard Drake and 1 Gadwall...heck, I know people use the MOJO dove decoys for duck hunting.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Yea...I've had some great success using a Mojo, but I'm a big fan of that remote control! I've had time when if flared em too! Also like a good pole/stick to hang on too :wink: Good stuff!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Cut, to be honest, sometimes I'll just take a jerk string with 4 decoys on it and throw it out there and that will be my spread. Of course, for me, my size of the spot determines how many decoys I put out :thumbsup:

Yep, hear ya on the MOJO. I had several times this year when I had Mallards, Black Ducks, Gadwalls, and Pintails start to get down close and then they would flare. Couldn't figure out why but looking back, I know it was because I was running two of them. As the season goes on they seem to pick them out real easy. People forget...they think technology is always better when really, that rubber bungee cord will do the trick every time :lol: :lol:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:44 pm

A couple of hints: look for natural openings in the trees where ducks can drop thru the canopy, also loose feathers on the water...that'll tell ya where the ducks are going to be, you won't need many decoys, location in the timber is critical (100 yards off the "X") and you are doomed. Remember, hunt hard and quick, then get out and let it rest for another hunt. :thumbsup:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Yea, I'm think they will be blowing right down the creek channel...... Will take a while but I'll figured it out!! :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:51 am

If you can a chainsaw can make a small hole into a nice one with just a few trees down. Make sure you dont cut any beneficial mast trees. Go scout it now on a cooler day and just walk around to see what you got. I used to hunt timber a bunch and it is fun!! If you have some ducks there get ready to have a blast.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:04 am

Yea, the landowner said when the pin oaks start dropping the place is loaded with wood ducks..... Will be wacking some of the smaller stuff out after duck season..... Not doing anything now. all eyes & ears this season :smile:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 am

Man I am jealous. I had rights to hunt some great timber for a while till the guy who gave us permissions brother decided he didnt want us in there anymore and wante dhis buds to hunt. There is nothing like mallards dropping straight down into some tall timber. Have fun. Just a tip, find open water in the timber when a cold snap comes through and you will have a blast. Use a mojo to get there attention off to the side of the spread. We would hunt a spot that normally wasnt very good but when everything was frozen we would set up on the edge of a lake on the edge of the flooded timber that hadnt frozen up yet, it was amazing.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:03 am

what you need is a Quiver-Magnet and a pair of decoys . the QM makes the ripples in the water which from above looks like a target , the ripples flash when a spot of sunlight hits the wave . In standing timber wind doesn't get to play on the water so ripples become motion decoys for a duck hunter .
I hunt a lot of flooded woods but the water doesn't last b/c the sun drys it up , the tree tops are your friend so look up when cutting a hole for it doesn't have to be big to get a flock of birds through .
Joe I want to trade many seaduck hunts for a few wood duck hunts with you in that spot :yes:

:wink: LD :hammer:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 am

LD.... you are more than welcome to head over this way.... been trying to get you out of Matthews for years. Just maybe a flooded timber hunt will work this time!! If you'd like ,we can hit the early season, try for some woodies orwait for regular season and hope the mallards will come floating down thru the trees.... Hope to see some of that action myself :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby EHO IV » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:36 am

We use to lease a spot south of Richmond off of Courtland Rd exit of I95. Same type of scenario, beaver pond with flooded timber. I ended up attaching a cheat strap-on deer stand onto a tree to use as a dog platform. The second year, we broke the beaver dam and tried planting millet. Damn beaver kept plugging the breach so we weren't too successful. Saw tons of woodies but they always wanted to do their own thing. Always flew above the trees and at about 100 mph which made it difficult. Ended up doing alot of pass shooting. We would shoot a few though but not many mallards. Good luck sounds like it will be alot of fun figuring the place out.
EHO IV
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks guys... The farmer did say the with the large creek running thru it ,hardly ever saw the thing freeze up so that should help some in the late season...if & when we get some COLD temps!! As I'd say early post, this is/will be so different that what I'm used to doing, floaters in open marsh& lakes and big corn/bean fields with a goose call in my hand is what I know..... Not sure I can even quack anymore...... NOT :wink:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:04 am

I hunt some small creeks and swamps west of Richmond. I normally only take a jerk rig with two or three decoys.
TaylorMann1
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:58 am

I dont really use a mojo elsewhere but it is awesome in timber when you have some big ducks like mallards blacks or gadwall. We would put it to the side of the hole kinda out of the way. Situate it so the ducks can get a glimpse as they circle, but not right in the middle so they can stare at it and flare like in open water. Works great and sucks em right in.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:57 pm

If it just you and/or a few friends hunting it, get some decoys, tie them off to a tree in a decoy bag(mark it with a GPS) and leave them there (less to haul in). Hunt on sunny days, if the water is shallow enough just kick water and don't weigh yourself down with jerk rigs, etc. Get ready for some Annie Oakley shots and hope you can throw accurately if one gets stuck up in a tree after shot. Good luck!
scruggs12
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Yea, simply thing a few brite colored decoys, drake woodies and drale mallards should show up better...JUST a few and plenty of splashing... Figure I'll be moving around a little so don't want to get locked into one spot in the swamp....Will take a few hunts to get the feel for the place and the idea of this flooded timber style of duck wackin :thumbsup:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby birdbustr » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:47 pm

I know this is late in the thread, but we had 2 spots like this maybe 5 acres big when I was a kid. this is just the kind of hunting I used to do with my Dad and his friends growing up. Flooded oaks just off of a river would overflow the banks regularly during the late summer and winter. Mostly wood ducks full of acorns and the occasional mallard.

We traveled light because both places had at least a 1/4 mile walk in. Never used decoys or calls, just find an obstruction to stand near in our waders and stood still. Hunt was almost always done by 9:00 am. We would take in some 7 1/2 dove loads to knock them down when they were really thick (when lead was legal). LOVE THAT FLOODED STUFF. :thumbsup:
birdbustr
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting