A stick may not be just a stick

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

A stick may not be just a stick

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Not being a walk in type of duck hunter, never felt I need a wading stick as most of my swamp hunting has been early season...no big deal if I fell in or not :rolleyes: But, thinking regular season, 25 degree days... may not be too swift to take the plunge. Thinking if may be smart o have a stick and I'm the kind of guy that like to do things myself..... Simply thinking about finding a good stick in the woods.....Know that would work but thinking about pimping that sucker out.... maybe a hook on the end for a decoy retriever. maybe a fish net to scoop up all the dead ducks flapping around in the water.... Anyone made ome or have any thoughts????
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: A stick may not be just a stick

Postby talltimber » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:19 pm

I've seen some pretty nice sticks, carved, stained, varnished, the whole bit. As you can see, mines just a persimmon sprout I cut off. I've used it about 6 or 7 yrs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373581132.730684.jpg
talltimber
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Joe, check out Avery's Decoy Retriever. That thing is the best thing I have bought for small swamp/pond hunting. I also use it as a walking stick when carrying 40 pounds of decoys on my back...not to mention you can pick up ducks with it :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Yea...I have one, good thing to have in my boat too.... But, thinking about making something... Always like to come up with something of my own.... A strap, a hook but year that stick will get pimped out!!

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:49 pm

ive made a walkin stick cut, just find a gum tree of the rightr diameter and cut to the length you want, strip off the bark which is fairy easy to do, round off the ends and let it dry for a month in the sun. lay it on a flat surface to dry so it wont bow. i wrapped the end of the one i had like you do a hockey stick for good grip and to keep hands off cold wood. i used it for years to wade while fishing :thumbsup:. also you can stain it after it drys if ya want
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:02 pm

I went to one of the big hardware stores and picked through the various tool handles. Some good stuff there at a reasonable price. I ended up with a 4 foot shovel handle. Drilled a hole, put in a leather strap, and it's good to go. :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Dingbatter, that 4 footer would only come up to my knees :yes: :yes: I'll walk around my woods, find one about right and doll it up.... May a few canes here and there. Will add that walkin stick to my collection..... I like messing around with that kind of stuff :yes: :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:27 pm

I use an old 8ft. dowel rod that came out of a closet.
Wait-
That didn't read too good.

I use an 8ft. dowel that you'd hang clothes on in a closet. It's lasted for years. Get one at Lowes.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Cut I do a lot of walking while hunting and the best stick is the one you cut a minute after the need and throw down after the need is over . I carry a 18" machete on my belt while hunting to use as needed and when a 12 foot duck getter is need that's what I will have . A 6 foot wading stick can be a lifesaver but when a walking stick isn't needed it sure can be a pain in the backside when you have had it up-teen years .
Now to put the shoe on the other foot , that dowel rod Swampbilly came out the closet with in his hand is about the same size as a boat pole that has all of those attchments to go on . Maybe a wading / walking stick could be made that has attchments that snap on ?

:smile: LD :huh:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 pm

All true..... Simply thinking Will probably be entering the swamp at about the same spot most mornings... Figure to fashion some form of pole to leave at the bank, then hang it off a hook/limb when I'm in my chosen spot that day... was just thinking about doing a little fancy work on it,adding a strap for hanging... maybe a small hook or something in the lower end to grab a decoy line...,Just thinking about this years big adventure :thumbsup: And to be honest.... a stick can be just a stick,if all's required of it is to get ya in and back out safely ! Like most here..simply passing the time & day dreaming about things I can do or make that will help pass the time til duck season finally gets here :yes:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Carving on a stick is a great way to pass the time both before the season and after , looking down and not walking around has got to be a good thing while hunting birds . If I was a betting man I would bet the farm the duck call came to be that way .

:smile: LD :yes:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:22 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:I use an old 8ft. dowel rod that came out of a closet.
Wait-

I use an 8ft. dowel that you'd hang clothes on in a closet. It's lasted for years. Get one at Lowes.

AAAhhhh geez :no:
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:54 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I use an old 8ft. dowel rod that came out of a closet.
Wait-

AAAhhhh geez :no:

:lol3:
I know, I know-
It was corny :oops:
(Been hangin' up there in CI talking politics too long).
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Any where is better than the spot I called you from last week. That place isnt fit for livin.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:39 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:Any where is better than the spot I called you from last week. That place isnt fit for livin.

You said that right, it's a nightmare up there.
This may have been part of your dilemma last week-

http://www.insidenova.com/news/local/qu ... 963f4.html
......... :lol: :hi:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:10 am

Naah I was the other jerk causing the lane closures below 95 at the main gate. I had a lot of fans that day. Everyone was nice and waved to me. Not sure what the one finger wave means though.... :huh:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:14 am

Oh! That's folks who like to advertise, (brag) what their I.Q. is, I see it all the time :yes:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting