Duck Hunting Forum banner

teal on appomattox river in powhatan?

5K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  adustydawg2 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are normally any teal near the Amelia wma when the season opens. I recently got permission to hunt on the river around there and not exactly sure if I should go for teal. any help or knowledge about the teal migration would be awesome! I have seen some woodies and geese and a few mallards after the season last year but not sure about teal. thank you in advance.

#4 ·
I hunt a few miles west of there. Typically, there is not enough water in the marsh that I hunt to hold many ducks until the Nov season. I don't think the river itself holds many ducks, it's that marshes alongside that attract them. That said, I have killed some greenwings the first week of the Nov season. If this weather pattern holds it looks like the marsh could be plenty full early, so it may be worthwhile to give teal a shot.

#18 ·
I was talking about west of 95 on the Appomattox. I've never sen a blind on that river, but if I was to see one I would assume that it is since there are no blind laws over here. It would be a dick move but technically it is fair game if its on navigable water west of 95 right?

#24 ·
I can only share my experience in the area I hunt, which is a few miles west of you. I see and hear geese all the time, but have only killed 1 goose in 3 years of hunting there. Geese use the marsh that I hunt alongside the river soley as a roost and it is very difficult to get in there in the dark without spooking them. When it's light they fly off to go feed in a field somewhere. If I were to target geese, I would concentrate on getting them to decoy in the evening. However, like I said in my earlier post, I think they are focused more on the marshes alongside the river than the river itself.

I think both teal and early geese are a long shot, but I will probably be out there because there is not much else to hunt that time of year.

#25 ·
Chow, you ever see the geese return later in the morning??? I too have a spot that the geese roost& fly out in the morning,they go to a nearby field ,but they always return mid day to loaf....Just thinking you could set up mid-morning and wait for em to filter back.

#26 ·
I also hunt the Appomattox river bottoms in Amelia and I have never seen any teal but cut_un is absolutely correct when he says the geese return around midday. Numerous times I have flushed them out in the morning dark to have them return after first light or that 10 am to noon window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.